Didn`t know Festus could sing.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Didn`t know Festus could sing.

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Didn`t know Festus could sing.

Post by claybob86 »

Pretty darn good at it too! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Curtis was a professional singer long before he was an actor. When Sinatra left the Tommy Dorsey band, his first replacement was -- Ken Curtis.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ken was a member of the Sons of the Pioneers when Leonard Sly (Roy Rogers) was their leader. Played in several movies with the Pioneers too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

He was good on gun smoke too, will be watching that shortly. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy....anybody can sing and act if they want to...it's a mindless "profession". The "talented" ones who make it to the very top of their "field" are just better natural bullshytters than the others. Professional sports is right behind them.

Up until the movies starting to make hold, actors and their like were considered low life scumballs. I was reading one time and the Kardashian matriarch was telling an interviewer "it took a lot of hard work to get where we are." I about pelosi my pants right there.

Yea, sorry to be negative...I just see things as they are.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 pm Pitchy....anybody can sing and act if they want to...it's a mindless "profession". The "talented" ones who make it to the very top of their "field" are just better natural bullshytters than the others. Professional sports is right behind them.

Up until the movies starting to make hold, actors and their like were considered low life scumballs. I was reading one time and the Kardashian matriarch was telling an interviewer "it took a lot of hard work to get where we are." I about pelosi my pants right there.

What EXACTLY is the Kardashian claim to fame?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:42 pm
Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 pm Pitchy....anybody can sing and act if they want to...it's a mindless "profession". The "talented" ones who make it to the very top of their "field" are just better natural bullshytters than the others. Professional sports is right behind them.

What EXACTLY is the Kardashian claim to fame?
Ha, you haven`t heard me sing have ya. :lol:
Naw i don`t agree with ya there have been many greats singers and actors.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 pmPitchy....anybody can sing and act if they want to...it's a mindless "profession". The "talented" ones who make it to the very top of their "field" are just better natural bullshytters than the others. Professional sports is right behind them.
Ha, you haven`t heard me sing have ya. :lol:
Naw i don`t agree with ya there have been many greats singers and actors.
+1.
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:42 pmWhat EXACTLY is the Kardashian claim to fame?
Demonstrating that rich folks are just as crude and greed driven as the rest of us... no make that more so.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

One of my favorite Ken Curtis movie solos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOn1mkU8Sg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

After some research i`m embarrassed to say that iv`e seen him in many movies and didn`t even realize it was him.
He was the ranch owner in the movie Conagher wasn`t he.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Did you know he played a vulture? :D

https://youtu.be/8Rlq7yzRFV0

With George Lindsey (aka Goober) as Trigger and Pat Buttram (aka Mr. Haney) as the sheriff of Nottingham. ;)
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"I was reading one time and the Kardashian matriarch was telling an interviewer 'it took a lot of hard work to get where we are'...."
That is hilarious....

Something may have been 'hard' alright... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Great voice and execution.

I'm surprised the producers didn't make some use of Festus as a balladeer in the series. I guess it was just too much of stretch for the character but a Gunsmoke episode / Christmas special with Festus singing Silent Night would have been cool. Or maybe one of those episodes when an actor played against character in a episode. Instead of playing Festus, Ken Curtis, all slicked up and dressed like Beau Brummel as a traveling troubadour and ladys man? Might have been fun to see.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of my best college buddies is almost a dead wringer for the Festus character- right down to the well worn beaver felt hat. Everytime I see Gunsmoke I think of him and everytime I talk to him I think of Festus! Come to think of it he is from Kansas too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

wm wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 pm Great voice and execution.

I'm surprised the producers didn't make some use of Festus as a balladeer in the series. I guess it was just too much of stretch for the character but a Gunsmoke episode / Christmas special with Festus singing Silent Night would have been cool. Or maybe one of those episodes when an actor played against character in a episode. Instead of playing Festus, Ken Curtis, all slicked up and dressed like Beau Brummel as a traveling troubadour and ladys man? Might have been fun to see.

Wm
Do you mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-EzH7V ... Sg&index=3
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Yes he could sing, he even sang in “The Searchers”

Six, not everyone can sing and act if they want to. Acting more so maybe, but definitely not singing. Matter of fact, if I could sing and act just because I wanted to... you guys would all be begging for my autograph :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not everyone can be a good actor. As far as singing, well, I once hit the right note. It was purely an accident and has only happened once in my life. Why, even Jimmy Durante with a cold sounded better than I do when singing.

My acting career started in Second grade, and was good enough to get me on TV. My patents found out and put a stop to it. They would have preferred that I play piano in a house of ill repute and be paid in liquor and womens favors rather than act.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK...I condescended a bit on actors and singers.....these people hit a nerve with me......for sure...not everyone (in fact, maybe .000000001 % of all people) can be a brain 👨‍⚕️ surgeon either, but I'd like someone to explain why a profession like singing, acting, or throwing a ball around can reap 50 X's more 💰 money than an extremely highly intelligent man with over a decade of training can make. .........and actors have sooooo much more influence on the weak minded populace.

A 20 year old actress comes on TV to promote "what is right or wrong" in politics......first, what the hell does a 20 year anybody know about life? And people just flock to them like they are gods.

Especially acting......Americans have to be the stupidest people in the universe to patronize (spend money) to see these worthless, unpatriotic "people"---6
Model A Uzi’s
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

765x53 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm
wm wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 pm Great voice and execution.

Wm
Do you mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-EzH7V ... Sg&index=3
Yes.

Wm.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 pm OK...I condescended a bit on actors and singers.....these people hit a nerve with me......for sure...not everyone (in fact, maybe .000000001 % of all people) can be a brain 👨‍⚕️ surgeon either, but I'd like someone to explain why a profession like singing, acting, or throwing a ball around can reap 50 X's more 💰 money than an extremely highly intelligent man with over a decade of training can make. .........and actors have sooooo much more influence on the weak minded populace.

A 20 year old actress comes on TV to promote "what is right or wrong" in politics......first, what the hell does a 20 year anybody know about life? And people just flock to them like they are gods.

Especially acting......Americans have to be the stupidest people in the universe to patronize (spend money) to see these worthless, unpatriotic "people"---6
+1,000,000,000
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 pm OK...I condescended a bit on actors and singers.....these people hit a nerve with me......for sure...not everyone (in fact, maybe .000000001 % of all people) can be a brain 👨‍⚕️ surgeon either, but I'd like someone to explain why a profession like singing, acting, or throwing a ball around can reap 50 X's more 💰 money than an extremely highly intelligent man with over a decade of training can make. .........and actors have sooooo much more influence on the weak minded populace.

Six I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just trying to give you a different frame to see professional sports.

Those sports generate BILLIONS of dollars of revenue. Why shouldn't the guys whose unique skill set make that possible get a fair share of the money being generated by their skills? Yes you can argue their skills are not important, it is ridiculous waste of time, money, energy, etc. That's your right. But successive generations of players have bargained for those contracts for years. It is not an issue of popular mandate what they get paid, anymore then any of our paychecks are up for popular debate. I bargain with my employer as I am sure you did.

As for the value of their opinions …… well that is and always has been a case of people believing what they want to believe. One of the oddest phenomenon's of the internet is it is a device that exposes us to so much more of the world & yet seems instead to trap us into echo chambers of news and opinion. I don't think it is the technology, its a fundamental human flaw that we see and hear what we want to believe.

Wm.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wm........first....you don't have to be so classy in explaining your view...I'm a redneck and can handle more brunt talk. :D

Absolutely agree with you...to a point. People in the entertainment field and more deservingly, the pro sports....deserve a huge payout.....but how huge?.......as consumers, you and I pay their salaries......so, to put it in a nutshell.....I can see the quarterback in the NFL making a million dollars a year...maybe even two million...but 15 million? I can see Tom Cruise making a million per movie...but a zillion dollars?

I don't know how old you are but I'm 64 and back when my kids were young, (eighties) we used to go to the old Veterans Stadium to watch the Phillies play....total cost? Maybe $60 ..and that's me drinking 🍺 beer. I stopped going in the nineties when it cost me $250 for the same night. I hear it's now a $400 night or about half of my old take home pay with 8 hours overtime thrown in.

In the 1930's, the average guy was raising hell when it was announced Babe Ruth was making $30,000 a season.

In a perfect economy there is supposed to be an X amount of money for all to share with mild interest every year for inflation. I'd like someone to explain to me how the loaded Jeep Rubicon that cost me $23,000 in 2005 now costs over $40,000. Yes, I can understand rising costs but near double in 13 years?

In 1975 , my wife and I had our house built at the total cost of $38,000. I mortgaged $25,000 and was scared of the monthly payments always kissing the boss's azz to keep my job. It would sell easily for a half mil....

I'm certainly no economist but I was born with common sense....some professions are getting more than their fair share...or many undeserving illegals are sucking the profits.....dunno...----BUILD THAT WALL!!!! :D -----The Count
Model A Uzi’s
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I agree pro sports has gotten out of hand. I really don't follow much of it anymore because it just isn't right with me but then again I would prefer crank windows on my car to electric and I read books and don't listen to books on tape, etc.

I'm 52 in couple months (actually just realized that.... I've been telling everyone I'm 50 so I forgot a year somewhere) and I sympathize with you even if I don't entirely agree with you.

Wm
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

This was supposed to be about how well Festus can sing. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:23 pm This was supposed to be about how well Festus can sing. :lol:

Model A Uzi’s
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Festus Metaphors[3] Edit
Safer than chitlins on a city folk's supper plate.
Hotter than a jug full of red ants.
If that don't put a clod in your shoe.
You couldn't burst a bird's egg with a ball-peen hammer.
This here [stew] will grow hair on your elbows.
[It's] hot enough to fry a horseshoe.
Tighter than the feathers on a prairie chicken's rump.
The onliest thing you get from stradlin' the fence is a sore backside.
I'll get after you like thunder after lightnin'.
How'd you like to be gatherin' eggs and find her nest?
Fine as frogs hair.
Naked as a plucked prairie chicken.
Bleedin' like a stuck hog.
He ain't got the gumption to pound sand down a rat hole.
I thumped him 'till his ears rang like the liberty bell.
Crookeder than a dog's hind leg.
Hold `yer taters.
[He's] got more friends than a dog's got hairs on his back.
Sit there like a boll weevil on a corn cob.
[He] draws trouble like a summer melon draws flies.
feel better than a barn rooster on a prime hoot.
Quiet as a mouse tip toeing.
Quiet as on cotton on cottontail.
I'll get onto you like ugly on an ape.
Hoppin' around like a flea on a hot skillet.
You look like a sunfish who flopped.
When you learn a thing a day you store up smart.
That don't hurt a particle.
If you don't call, then you don't see the hand.
I made a bigger mess than a sow's bed.
Ain't you startin' to itch before you git bit?
He can't see past the brim of his hat.
Pooch up like an old toad.
Rougher than a wagon full of cobs.
No more chance than a grass hopper in a hen house.
Flatter than a snake through a ringer.
I loved that boy like a June morning.
Quieter than a gagged gopher.
Sincere as a $5 funeral.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.