Favorite 22LR ammunition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Favorite 22LR ammunition

Post by mickbr »

Anyone have any favorites for hunting, plinking or stockpiling. I am a big fan of CCI stingers, have used them for animals probably a little larger than I should but they really do the job. No.2 favorite is bulk federal HP which I think are best value for stockpiling.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Favorite 22LR ammunition

Post by gundownunder »

It all comes down to your individual firearm. Every gun will have its own likes and dislikes.
This thread could run into thousands of responses, and 9 out of 10 might say they prefer Winchester, but what good is that to you if your gun doesn't shoot well with that brand of ammo.
I've had several 22s in the last 40+ years, and all have had their preferred ammo, and no two have been alike.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

That is true gundownunder. I feel I got lucky with my rifle liking stinger, it can fly about a bit in some guns. The Federal isn't too bad, nice and clean as well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Most 22’s with most brands will out shoot me anymore. Reliability with regards to ignition and function in autos are the biggest issues. CCI seems to work well for me in those regards.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have at least a dozen 22’s and I don’t think more than two or three will like any certain brand, so I have a few different brands all the time. It is fun trying to find “the” ammo for a certain gun. I might remind y’all that our own Paco Kelly made a 22 forming tool that can take plain old round tip 22 and put several different profiles on 22’s and different sizing to boot. In one rifle in particular I was able to reform cheap bulk ammo into a nasty hollow point that was super accurate and DEADLY on squills.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Before I had any center fire varmit rifles I stuck with Stingers. One day a frontal shot at a feral cat the stinger hit betwixt the eyes did not penetrate instead following the skull and coming out on top. One in a lifetime? maybe. I took to loading a stinger , solid, stinger etc. just to have the bases covered.

However I have found CCI as about the best for off the shelf with Eley Stuff just a bit better.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have one rifle that really likes Aguila Match Rifle and shoots nasty Rem Thunderbolt well also. Most of the 22s I’ve had have done well enough with CCI mini-mag hp. Need to find the right load for my S&W 617 4” 10 shot.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I used to prefer Winchester Wildcats simply because they would eject of a mid-60s Winchester pump I used to have. Other brands seemed to have a thicker rim.

For long range target, 250 to 400, I like Federal Gold match.
For prairie dogs, 50 to 250, I like the cheap stuff, because I use a Ruger 10/22 while my centerfire cools. 2 quick shots gets them more often than not.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I like the cheap Federal 36gr. hollow points. They function well in everything and
seem plenty accurate for me. Effective medicine for groundhogs, too. Mind you, I
have not performed an exhaustive test. CCI 40gr. solids are good, too.

Didn't Guns and Ammo or somebody perform such a test a coupla years back?

I misplaced that article, but researching that one sounded like an awful
lot of fun! :mrgreen:

-Stretch
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Anything I can scrounge of others... I only have one .22LR and don't particularly find it fun to shoot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Been using the CCI Velocitor regularly. Works in my. 22's, pistol, revolver, rifles, lever, auto, and bolt. Hits with authority, and would handle most anything you would use a. 22 for. Though I used the cheapest. 22 for pointing.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When Federal Gold medal match first came out I happened to be up in Maine, found they had it in stock at Kittery Trading Post. Every gun I tried it in hated it. I called Federal and they sent me an assorted lots equivalent to a brick! None of it shot worth a flip from anything. CCI Green Tag was always good for me too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It really comes down to much more than your favorite firearm when choosing your favorite .22 ammo. What might work great in one gun, might not work as well in another. And if you shoot for accuracy, vs. hunting, then your choices will be based on completely different ammo.
So prior to determining what works best for someone, you need to decide what you'll be doing with the .22, and which gun it's used in.

I personally like to shoot for accuracy, and don't hunt with my .22's, so I use mostly standard velocity, or target ammo. But if the gun I shoot it in isn't a true target accuracy capable gun, then it gets standard velocity. If it's a match chamber, like my Schoyen Ballard in .22LR it gets good quality match or target ammo.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hunting - CCL SGB (Small Game Bullet)

Plinking - Federal bulk

Target - Eley Gold Match

Stockpiling - N/A (I no longer stockpile, as I still have a several K rounds from a large purchase long ago, when a LGS owner passed away)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 am Anything I can scrounge of others... I only have one .22LR and don't particularly find it fun to shoot.
I'm more than less with Griff. I've never been impressed by .22s. I have one rifle, a Win 9422 and three pistols. I almost never shoot them any more.
I can say that several years ago I entered a postal match on another forum and won a gift certificate by shooting nice groups with the Federal bulk rifle match ammo from my Ruger Std .22 Auto.

Otherwise I shoot whatever I can get the cheapest.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

In LR, Winchester Power Point. I still have a bunch in the clear red plastic packs from the great ammo shortage some years back. In WMR, the 34 grain Winchester JHP ... but not the 30 grain. For some reason, my HK-300 likes it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I’m serious about the group size or shooting squirrels I use this .
01A9670D-E0DA-42D1-B24F-B665631FECF7.jpeg
397E7405-9F04-49AA-9D89-3BADA844AF5E.jpeg
Otherwise I’ve a few bricks of Yellow Jackets and Thunderbolts to make noise with .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

CCI Mini-Mags for everything.

I'll use some flavor of Remington when I just want an arm to go bang 80% of the time and it doesn't have to hit the target.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

CCI Mini Mags are the most consistently accurate across all my .22s.
For bulk range ammo, it seems there isn't a lot of difference from one to another depending on lots. At one time, I had a bunch of Winchester that my S&W 422 shot crazy good. Got some more a couple years later and it was just so so.
Now, bulk Federal Champion seems pretty good.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My Favorites Are:
^ any brand given to me for free
^any kind I can buy in bulk very cheaply

THAT'S THE GOOD THING ABOUT A SINGLE ACTION SIXGUN ... WHILE SOME BRANDS OF 22'S ARE MORE ACCURATE THAN OTHERS, THE SINGLE ACTION SIXGUN WILL SHOOT ANY OF THEM FAIRLY WELL.

The autoloaders on the other hand will go bang usually at least once with most brands. Then it becomes a matter of learning to clear jams, failures to feed, failures to eject etc. The Bersa .22 only works reliably with Remington Golden Sabres. The Savage rifle works well with those, CCI mini mags and Aguila Super Extra HP's.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JimT wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:51 pm My Favorites Are:
^ any brand given to me for free
^any kind I can buy in bulk very cheaply

THAT'S THE GOOD THING ABOUT A SINGLE ACTION SIXGUN ... WHILE SOME BRANDS OF 22'S ARE MORE ACCURATE THAN OTHERS, THE SINGLE ACTION SIXGUN WILL SHOOT ANY OF THEM FAIRLY WELL.
I have two .22-cal pistols, a Ruger Single-Six and a Ruger LCR (8-shots), and a Henry 22-cal Carbine big-loop with a 16" bbl. levergun. So with that combo I am an equal opportunity .22-cal Fed Rem Win CCI 222 500 555 275 400 333 Bulk-Pak 100-shot plastic container 50-round box shooter. I like and shoot it all (and have stockpiled...). Although I won't buy Thunderbolts and have recently had issues with Rem Golden-bullet-stuff... I shoot my .22's almost every weekend... :)

PS -- I actually gave up on .22-autos so I didn't have to worry about function...everything is reliable in a revolver...
0629.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

CCI Mini mags seem consistently good in most rifles I have had, I do keep a few rounds of stingers for zombie squirrels but a lot of my hunting is with CB longs, not very accurate but good on close range squirrels. CCI segmented subsonics were absolutely devastating on squirrels but I can't always find them which is a pity as I'd like to try them on foxes.
Remington sub sonics I only use for plinking, my Uberti 73 .22lr did not like Winchester ammo and my CZ would not chamber new stingers but was OK on some real old ones I had.
My 9422 shoots anything and so does my MagTech semi auto.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have stockpiled more .22 ammo than I will ever shoot...during the last ammo shortage I forgot all about the .22 The 32-20 will do it all for Me. :twisted: . If I live a few more years My Three Grandsons will no doubt shoot up the .22's..... :lol: .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Out of dozens of .22's rifles, single action revolvers, and semi auto handguns I've owned over the years and I may have 10 rifles and 8 handguns now...all pre war guns except a 10-22 and some Ruger handguns, I've found one brand that is consistently GREAT in all of them......CCI.......The Mini-Mag for guns that can take it and Green Tag or standard velocity for early .22's.....I buy this stuff by the 5,000 rd case and is regularly used in competition.

Most stuff will shoot good in "this gun or that one" but I've rarely found a gun that did not like CCI.

I buy that CCI "Quiet", CB longs, shorts for plinking out back and early blackpowder guns.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This thread reminds me that I bought Paco's .22 tool years ago and have not put it to serious trial.
Current .22s include a Winchester 1906 pump, and a Henry AR-7, not exactly accuracy test beds ... :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

CCI mini Mags give good accuracy in most everything have. If I want GREAT accuracy in my CZ or my 10/22 match I use RWS. The RWS in my 10/22 match will make bug holes at 25 yards.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

CCI Mini Mag HPs. What I go to when I want acceptable accuracy, reliability and performance.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We were in the local Cabelas today, and I decided to look at their .22 ammo. I was shocked to see Aguila .22 target ammo for $2.99 a box. I grabbed a brick and when I got to the register it rang up as $2.49 a box! I went back and got 20 more boxes at that price. Didn't need them, but good ammo that cheap it tough to find.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:10 pm We were in the local Cabelas today, and I decided to look at their .22 ammo. I was shocked to see Aguila .22 target ammo for $2.99 a box. I grabbed a brick and when I got to the register it rang up as $2.49 a box! I went back and got 20 more boxes at that price. Didn't need them, but good ammo that cheap it tough to find.
I’ve got 8 bricks of the Norma Tac we got that on sale thru one of the places like Midway , think it was MidSouth . That stuff worked out to $35 a brick .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Aguila and RWS have been utterly reliable and consistent.
Federal pretty much the same.
40 year old W-W Super ammo is more reliable that Remington Goldens even if they are new.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:10 pm We were in the local Cabelas today, and I decided to look at their .22 ammo. I was shocked to see Aguila .22 target ammo for $2.99 a box. I grabbed a brick and when I got to the register it rang up as $2.49 a box! I went back and got 20 more boxes at that price. Didn't need them, but good ammo that cheap it tough to find.
I’ve got 8 bricks of the Norma Tac we got that on sale thru one of the places like Midway , think it was MidSouth . That stuff worked out to $35 a brick .
At under $25 a brick I'm shocked that Aguila sells so cheap for very good shooting ammo! I took my Hi Standard Supermatic to the range and shot a few boxes through it today. Was pleasantly surprised at how tight it grouped, and how reliably it functioned in the semiauto pistol. Not all semiautos shoot well with standard velocity or target, but the Hi Standard loved it.
Wish I had taken my Cody Ballard with the Badger match barrel too! Looking forward to seeing how well it shoots in an extremely accurate .22 rifle!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

This post forced me to Cabela's to buy two bricks...

:oops: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm This post forced me to Cabela's to buy two bricks...

:oops: :lol:
My apologies! I hate encouraging anyone to go to Cabelas! But I hate going there myself too! I wouldn't have been there if I wasn't paying my credit card bill.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I found Winchester Dynapoints to shoot pretty good in a wide range of firearms. Once ammo I tell people to avoid is Remington Thunderbolts. They've been terrible in most anything we've ever tried them in.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

In bulk I love the CCI Blazer bricks, and Winchester 333 round tins. The really like the CCI Stingers and Velocitors which are the ammo that shoots with 100 reliability in my old Sterling 302 pocket pistol.
I refuse to by Remington Thunderbolts which have a 33% FTF rate. :x
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31