CBD OIL For pain, anxiety

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

CBD OIL For pain, anxiety

Post by JHarold »

anyone have any experience with hemp oil?
My wife has MS and found no results from the gelcaps.
any opinions and also if you have used it, what is a good source?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: CBD OIL For pain, anxiety

Post by wm »

I Just read this https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... od/580483/

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

Wm
Last edited by wm on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 pm We had a huge post about this a couple of months ago......probably five pages back......I started it and let the experts finish.....what I do know is the oil reduces anxiety......it did for me. I stopped fooling with it because of the price.....at $75 a bottle I figure I can buy a lot of primers or powder.------6
:o :o
Maybe that was a while back?
I think it's cheaper now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Think 'marijuana' = 'green tea'. Both are plants that have a number of chemical ingredients in them that have good bad or neutral effects. Most of the time when people want tea, they are glad to have the caffeine and that is the major thing they actually want from drinking tea, but since there are terpenes and polyphenols in tea that may have health benefits, there are some people who want those components without the caffeine. They drink decaf. Finally there may be some people who only want some of the chemicals in the green tea so they may purchase extracts or capsules of various sorts

The situation is analogous with marijuana, except that it's legal status makes manufacturing the equivalent of decaf tea expensive and difficult. It is possible to remove the THC from the marijuana plant so the person can have the health benefits without the buzz, but it is far easier to simply use the closely related hemp plant which has pretty much the same chemicals in it without the THC. That is what 'hemp oil' is.

Some of the older urine drug screens employers used would show 'marijuana' if the person used some brands of hemp oil, and the word 'hemp' intimidated some, so the more processed 'CBD oil' solved those problems, though it seems a bit less effective for some applications.

I sure haven't seen any indications that there are safety issues with either hemp oil or CBD oil, since they lack the disorienting effect of the THC. About one in four patients we treat for pain or anxiety has a great response, and some other uses involving inflammation reduction are appearing. I usually look at the patient's MTHFR status first, and their homocysteine levels, because treating those appropriately is much less expensive (we use MethylGuard Plus) and also helps pain from things like disk disease and diabetic neuropathy quite a bit in many cases, as well as often improving depression and bipolar disease, and even autism spectrum issues.

Of course none of that stuff is "evidence based" which means that respectable clinicians and academic types dismiss it all as useless. Ironically, many of those same people are the first ones to insist that the big pharmaceutical companies push their products unethically, yet they glibly adopted big pharmas assertion that only 'evidence based' treatments are acceptable. If these wise academic types bothered to think about it a little bit more they would realize that anything that doesn't have a patentable product that can be used to recoup the 50 million dollars or so required to do the "large-scale placebo controlled double-blind study" required to make it "evidence based" will never clear that hurdle. So anything natural (you can't patent a naturally occurring chemical or vitamin) will forever be dismissed by Academia as worthless. Score one for big pharma...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not sure what the laws are in the US, or in individual states over there, but here in Oz they are starting to look at the legitimate use of cannabis as a medication.
Some years ago my wife had a couple of nasty car wrecks which resulted in nasty whiplash injuries and a history of chronic pain. I obtained some cannabis leaf and stem which I used to make butter. Cannabutter cookies were a very effective pain reliever without resorting to the higher priced and less healthy pharmaceutical products on the market. I'm not sure how you plan on using the oils, but I would think that as a topical application the benefits would be minimal
I'm pretty sure that over here MS would be deemed legitimate reason for using cannabis.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Recently I heard that HOPS are in the same family as hemp so just drink more beer! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am This is off-the-subject but our own doc AJMD is the only doctor who takes the time to explain an issue. If I would have had AJMD I would not have had to go to 7 MD doctors and 3 ENT's to get my Meniers and BP under control. Thank you Doc......
We're beginning to run into that situation up here in NE IN.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My wife also has MS, plus a bunch of other auto immune stuff. She recently started taking CBD oil and it has helped with anxiety and even her blood sugar to some degree, She had tried it once before with no results, apparently, not all producers or at least secondary merchandisers, are completely honest , ie. if it can be cut, it is.
If you get a quality product it does help for certain ailments, and yes it is expensive.
Too bad theres not more Docs like AJMD, most doctors ,here ,are not as conscientious as you would hope.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

Thank you all for your responses to my post.
and thank you Doc for posting, I was hoping you would respond. I value your remarks.
we have been fortunate with my wife's MS she has had it now for 20 years and it has been a slow
progression. she has limited use of her left leg and uses a brace, walker, cane, and a power scooter.
we have still adapted and enjoy what we can do.
thank everyone.
J Harold
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JH: So glad to hear your wife's MS progression is slow. I had a friend on the opposite end of the spectrum who was very quickly immobilized.
If you do find the oil works, stay the heck away from Yavapai County, AZ. Just heard a story on NRP yesterday that in that particular county, possession is prosecuted as a felony and a prison term sought, even with a medical marijuana card. The DA interprets CBD oil as a Schedule 1 narcotic, no exceptions whatsoever. The central figure in the story was a patient with terminal cancer who was arrested with a very small amount. Basically Third-World terror.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 pm JH: So glad to hear your wife's MS progression is slow. I had a friend on the opposite end of the spectrum who was very quickly immobilized.
If you do find the oil works, stay the heck away from Yavapai County, AZ. Just heard a story on NRP yesterday that in that particular county, possession is prosecuted as a felony and a prison term sought, even with a medical marijuana card. The DA interprets CBD oil as a Schedule 1 narcotic, no exceptions whatsoever. The central figure in the story was a patient with terminal cancer who was arrested with a very small amount. Basically Third-World terror.
:evil: :evil: :evil: That's some evil pelosi....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, the victim, with a tube running from his jugular vein for chemo treatment, was held in jail for two weeks until a friend could bail him out. He still faces trial. Fourth-stage cancer.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bill...I'm curious...maybe I'm getting fake news.....if AZ is that hard on CBD oil then why do they let Mexicans who are sneaking into the country with weed get away with it? Well, I'm sure large traffickers are going to the big house but there also must be thousands caught every year with small amounts. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I thought since Hemp was taken off the restricted(scheduled drug) list, that the cbd oil made from hemp would also be off any restrictions.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thunder50 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm I thought since Hemp was taken off the restricted(scheduled drug) list, that the cbd oil made from hemp would also be off any restrictions.
No....the democrats want the good drugs taken off the market and only want drugs that obliterate the human mind to be legal...here in Philly the Philadelphia city council wants to have taxpayer paid "injection sites" where a doper can shoot up his heroin in a nice calm environment with doctors available in case they overdose. Yea. that's for real..big news on the regular channels. :D

I never knew our "leaders" could be so fraudulent. Good ole Donald Trump really threw a monkey wrench in the gears when he was elected.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, my understanding is that in Arizona, each county can enforce the laws the way its DA interprets them, and Yavapai is the brutally strict outlier.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/01 ... na-arizona
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Of course none of that stuff is "evidence based" which means that respectable clinicians and academic types dismiss it all as useless. Ironically, many of those same people are the first ones to insist that the big pharmaceutical companies push their products unethically, yet they glibly adopted big pharmas assertion that only 'evidence based' treatments are acceptable. If these wise academic types bothered to think about it a little bit more they would realize that anything that doesn't have a patentable product that can be used to recoup the 50 million dollars or so required to do the "large-scale placebo controlled double-blind study" required to make it "evidence based" will never clear that hurdle. So anything natural (you can't patent a naturally occurring chemical or vitamin) will forever be dismissed by Academia as worthless. Score one for big pharma...
Exactly. And the FDA and AMA have been bought and sold.

America would be a MUCH healthier nation if it knew the truth about exercise and a
HEALTHY diet. But there's not any big, corporate money in organic veggies that you
can grow in your own back yard. Not a lot of profit for big business in going for a walk,
either.

A great deal of the "foodstuffs" offered in the grocery store are bad for humans to eat,
but even many doctors don't know any better.

It's a GREAT deal for big business though: Sell 'em food to make 'em sick, and then
sell 'em medicine to make 'em better. :evil:

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Pursuant to your last reply, Sixgun:
Yeah, the evidence is watered down in the study to protect the guilty, but there's no doubt the two things are related.

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

b.
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am This is off-the-subject but our own doc AJMD is the only doctor who takes the time to explain an issue. If I would have had AJMD I would not have had to go to 7 MD doctors and 3 ENT's to get my Meniers and BP under control. Thank you Doc......
Yeah, but what about all those nasty sores you had on your.... :shock: :?

....oh yeah, I forgot about that privacy stuff.... :oops:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 pm The DA interprets CBD oil as a Schedule 1 narcotic, no exceptions whatsoever. The central figure in the story was a patient with terminal cancer who was arrested with a very small amount. Basically Third-World terror.
:evil: :evil: :evil: That's some evil pelosi....
Gun laws and drug laws are pretty similar in most regards, as to the naive intent, the actual impact, and the police-state mindset they foster.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 pm Well doc....it was not easy to get rid of those things......for crabs, I just set my pubic area on fire and when the crabs came running out I stab them with an ice pick.

For the huge abscesses on my private parts, I fill up a 55 gallon drum full of diesel oil and let it soak overnight but I can only fill up the drum half way or it will flow out the top when I insert "it".--- :D ---6
Man Gallons.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I only need a 35-gallon drum... :oops: :|

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From Eddie Murphy RAW, "When you see a brother in a wheelchair, it don't necessarily mean he is crippled!"

I think Sixgun is remembering that segment of the movie.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I see "buy your CBD oil here" signs now at convenience/petrol stores and at vape shops......

I've just noticed them lately but apparently such things have been deemed legal in my state since 2015.......

But I also reviewed my employers list of urinalysis tested substances and cannabidiols are included along with t.h.c.....
m.A.g.a. !
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I believe it is illegal to purchase a firearm if any form of pot is used. It is asked on the Federal 4473 Firearm Transaction Record and is a felony to be untruthful when signing.
otteray
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Otteray, that's a big issue in a lot of places as states seek to wort out their rights from the federal rules. In my old home state of Oregon, the sheriff of Jackson County refused to issue concealed carry permits to medical marijuana licensees. It went to court, and he lost at the state level. No idea if it went further.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of differing opinions. :roll: As a Country, we need for the Supreme Court to rule on it. That would help end a bunch of the opinions from people like us.
D. Brian Casady
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

gundownunder wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:33 am Not sure what the laws are in the US, or in individual states over there, but here in Oz they are starting to look at the legitimate use of cannabis as a medication.
Some years ago my wife had a couple of nasty car wrecks which resulted in nasty whiplash injuries and a history of chronic pain. I obtained some cannabis leaf and stem which I used to make butter. Cannabutter cookies were a very effective pain reliever without resorting to the higher priced and less healthy pharmaceutical products on the market. I'm not sure how you plan on using the oils, but I would think that as a topical application the benefits would be minimal
I'm pretty sure that over here MS would be deemed legitimate reason for using cannabis.
As a sufferer of spinal spondilosis and ostea arthritis, i read this with interest....
I do like the way you think
Rick C.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

otteray wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 am I believe it is illegal to purchase a firearm if any form of pot is used. It is asked on the Federal 4473 Firearm Transaction Record and is a felony to be untruthful when signing.
Which is why, though I've had CBD oil recommended by countless people to help with my constant back pain, I'll never try it.

Thank you once again Big Brother... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, this would also be the reason that no matter how bad one might feel mentally, seeking any kind of professional help could easily wind up having your guns taken away. It will only get worse in "Red Flag" states.

Again, thanks Big Brother... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I tried it. It does calm yes but it actually increased my anxiety levels. This is nothing new for me as many a drug can increase anxiety in me so may not be just this hemp oil.
I do know someone that benefits greatly from it.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 am I tried it. It does calm yes but it actually increased my anxiety levels. This is nothing new for me as many a drug can increase anxiety in me so may not be just this hemp oil.

N.
Nath, it is most likely from your Individual genetic makeup as far as the liver enzymes are concerned. There happens to be a bunch of chemicals made in the liver that activate, deactivate, break down, and otherwise affect everything that we take in. We receive a copy of that gene coding for that chemical from each parent. Each gene has several types, such as fast, moderate, slow, and non-working. The unique combinations of these chemicals made by the liver is most of what causes drugs and medicines to affect each one of us a little differently. Some people like the effects. For others, there is no effect.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:12 am
Nath wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 am I tried it. It does calm yes but it actually increased my anxiety levels. This is nothing new for me as many a drug can increase anxiety in me so may not be just this hemp oil.

N.
Nath, it is most likely from your Individual genetic makeup as far as the liver enzymes are concerned. There happens to be a bunch of chemicals made in the liver that activate, deactivate, break down, and otherwise affect everything that we take in. We receive a copy of that gene coding for that chemical from each parent. Each gene has several types, such as fast, moderate, slow, and non-working. The unique combinations of these chemicals made by the liver is most of what causes drugs and medicines to affect each one of us a little differently. Some people like the effects. For others, there is no effect.
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks, very interesting 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This continues to be a most educational thread. Thanks to all who have posted.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It must be an up and coming trend. Here in Florida the state Dept. of Agriculture is running on overdrive to make the way clear for people to be able to grow hemp as a commercial crop. There have been news stories on TV the last 3 days about it. It seems right now demand far exceeds supply.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, same deal here in New Mexico -- removing all hurdles to hemp production. I just hope we can get some real science to evaluate just what these various CBDs actually do from a medical standpoint. If regulated as drugs rather than food supplements, maybe we will get some clarity. Believe me, I am all for pain relief, having had three back surgeries and taking horse pills of gabapentin.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:11 pm Rusty, same deal here in New Mexico -- removing all hurdles to hemp production. I just hope we can get some real science to evaluate just what these various CBDs actually do from a medical standpoint. If regulated as drugs rather than food supplements, maybe we will get some clarity. Believe me, I am all for pain relief, having had three back surgeries and taking horse pills of gabapentin.
I'm with you on the back pain. I had one surgery have a appointment with the surgeon so he can look at his handiwork. Looking at a second surgery after the first of the year.
I'd say if big money gets behind it things will go well for it. The problem might be that since it's a natural product there might not be a patent involved which could reduce income.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Maybe. Red Yeast Rice is natural, but Mevacor is extracted from it and is expensive. Valerian is natural, but the chemical tweaking of it to make Valium makes things cost a bit more. Salicylic acid comes from tree bark, but extracting it to make aspirin is still pretty cheap. The Pacific Yew tree grows wild, but an extract of it called Paclitaxel will kill breast cancer and make disgustingly large piles of cash for the manufacturer. Extracts from natural things may be cheap, or they may be expensive. It mostly depends on how badly you need it.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

We use it all the time.....mostly for an old dog. Alfie, a yorkie, is 17 years old and runs around like a five year old. He's good for a few days to a week, starts to slow down, then we give him another drop or two.

As far as red flag laws....well..if they come for me over CBD oil, they are gonna have a problem. It'll never happen though as millions of people are using it...it's sold all over around here..over the counter.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I used CBD oil for sleep. It seems to help. Be aware the "CBD oil" sold on amazon is a hemp oil that contains no CBD. Amazon doesn't allow true CBD oil to be sold, but their site is full of fake CBD oil and CBD gummies for sale.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JB wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 pm I used CBD oil for sleep. It seems to help. Be aware the "CBD oil" sold on amazon is a hemp oil that contains no CBD. Amazon doesn't allow true CBD oil to be sold, but their site is full of fake CBD oil and CBD gummies for sale.
I fell for that, too....Amazon showed me hemp oil when I searched for CBD....sort of hacked me off when I figured that out. That "pelosi" tastes like a combination of wet grass and castor oil :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like my Vegan coworker's lunch.
D. Brian Casady