African Soldier Sues British Army Over Cold Weather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Not to pick on our friends from across the pond...

But it is a little bit refreshing to know that all the crazies and silliness aren't over here... :wink:

Old No7

Horse Guards.jpg

A soldier from Africa is suing the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for £150,000, claiming they failed to protect him from cold weather conditions.

Michael Asiamah, from Ghana, brought the negligence claim after allegedly suffering a “cold-related” condition during exercises on Salisbury Plain in March 2016. According to his lawyers, the 36-year-old suffered pain and numbness in his feet and hands after he was exposed to 18 hours of cold and windy conditions during Exercise Scorpion.

Mr Asiamah told the High Court his superiors had neglected to warn him to bring warm kit such as gloves, socks, and boots ahead of the exercise, which he said took place one week after he was forced to spend five hours listening to lectures in cold weather while dressed in civilian clothing in Naseby, Northamptonshire.

His legal team argues officers exposed Mr Asiamah to the uncomfortable conditions despite knowing Africans are more susceptible to cold-related conditions, according to court papers which quote a 2009 military study which found soldiers of African origin were 30 times more likely to suffer cold-related injuries than indigenous Europeans.

The ex-soldier also accused the MoD of failing to follow its own advice on evacuating people with non-freezing cold injuries in order to prevent the conditions from worsening, reports the Express, which saw papers relating to the case. Mr Asiamah, who served with the Adjutant General’s Corps until he left the Army in October 2016, claims he is still suffering as a result of the MoD’s failings, alleging that ongoing effects from the cold-related condition have all but killed his dream of becoming a Physical Education instructor.

Army officials, who are expected to contest the former soldier’s claims, maintain that Mr Asiamah was provided with appropriate clothing for the exercises.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: African Soldier Sues British Army Over Cold Weather

Post by mickbr »

The world has gone upsidedown. How about being greatful for training in a 1st world country, probably the first time he worked under decent conditions of service and general safety.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If he couldn't handle the weather in England he could have looked at other options.
He could have stayed in Africa.
He could have got himself an office job.
He could have used his little pea brain and dressed appropriately.
I know if I was going outdoors in England I'd be wearing warm clothes, because even in summer they don't see the sunshine over there.
Oh, I almost forgot, if he can't dress himself, he could have brought his mother along. Seems these days everyone should always have their mother along, because nobody is responsible for themselves anymore.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No comment. ****' morons shoulda never allowed him in the military!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wonder who he'd sue if he caught a cold...……. :mrgreen:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What I find interesting is this nitwit is only suing for £150,000- if this happened here the suit would be 150,000,000 ! Ship him off the Greenland- then he will understand COLD!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Soldiers tend to be less than sympathetic toward fellow soldiers that they perceive to be whiners.

This particular soldier should have had every expectation that he be would treated with the discipline demanded of every soldier, but the evidence remains that the 2009 military study indicated that that Africans are more susceptible to cold-related conditions. Soldiers of African origin were 30 times more likely to suffer cold-related injuries than indigenous Europeans. That information should have been recognized and heeded.

This seems to be an issue of biology, and not discipline.

Even having been provided with appropriate clothing for the exercises, the leadership had a responsibility to attend this mans condition.

A soldier that cannot function cannot fight.

:|
Last edited by FWiedner on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This reminds me of a story I was told, there was a flats fishing guide down in the Keys. When fishing at night for tarpon he would wear a snowmobile suit when under way. He was cold at night in a flats boat. Glad I like the cold, can always put more layers on!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am No comment. ****' morons shoulda never allowed him in the military!
+1

LOL...Just wait until BLM, NAACP, and Jesse Jackson finds out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The ghanans in chicago, detroit, and the twin cities must be from a heartier tribe !
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That guy from Ghana should also sue his teachers for not teaching basic geography, Africa Hot England Cold.
I guess someone did teach him how to screw the system though.… :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm That guy from Ghana should also sue his teachers for not teaching basic geography, Africa Hot England Cold.
He musta missed school that day!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:47 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pmThat guy from Ghana should also sue his teachers for not teaching basic geography, Africa Hot England Cold.
He musta missed school that day!
Probably most other days also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's only going to get worse....here, tonight on the news, Philadelphia City Council wants safe injection sites for dopers with doctors present in case they have an overdose.--6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

These dopers should have lobotomies, then these bleeding heart libatards can each take one home for a house pet!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

He claims they neglected to warn him to bring warm clothes, etc ahead of an exercise??? WOW. :shock: How one could not remember to wear that type of attire in a British winter must be so dumb that it makes a guy wonder how he even got into the military. In a different light, had he been deployed to Iraq and become very ill due to dehydration, would he have sued the army for not having warned him to drink more fluids?!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gee, I guess there are millennial snowflakes worldwide now...

Isn't 36 years old a bit old for such nonsense? :roll:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Maybe they should settle and pay him in Ghanaian cedi (still a decent sum, but at $0.20 on the dollar, that would be funny). :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We live in a society of idiots and morons who have no common sense, and have to be told to the minute detail what to do, and when to do it. If you don't take them by the hand and treat them like your 2 year old, they'll sue you for not holding their hand.
Would this happen everywhere? No. But it will happen in "advanced" civilizations where we have lots of attorneys. The number of stupid people is directly related to the number of attorneys in any society.
When I was in basic they ran us around in paved surfaces in combat boots. Every guy in our unit had shin splints from running on hard surfaces with hard sole boots. Wouldn't take a genius to know this was going to happen, and that tennis shoes would be better issue footwear if they planned to run us on blacktop. But that was the military then, and I don't recall anyone suing them for the stupid mistake. In fact we were back out there running every day, even with shin splints that hadn't healed yet. Hurt like heck, but they weren't going to give us a day off to heal up.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Tank Hill Ft Jackson SC 1964.What was blacktop?Allit seems we had were sand when dry and mud when wet roads to run and march on.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

308magtip wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:40 pm Tank Hill Ft Jackson SC 1964.What was blacktop?Allit seems we had were sand when dry and mud when wet roads to run and march on.
We ran all over Lackland AFB in basic on the streets that ran around the base and barracks. Of course we got out in the dirt occasionally, and found that to be a treat compared to running on the blacktop!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

That's exactly why they have exercises as such, to weed out the weak and build the strong.

I figure he just plain forgot his stuff.
Lol, poor guy.

As a young kid my uncle took me on his paper route in mid winter... I asked about the cold... he said I'd be ok...
I was never the same after that day.
I'm a fairly big tough guy but I'll turn into a 6 year old girl pretty quick if I can't keep my hands and feet warm these days. No good for nuthin at that point. While labouring stucco as a kid I'd have to do laps around the house to get warm sometimes. The guys thought it funny, while I was worried about keeping my job (which I did).

Some people just aren't cut out for certain things, plain and simple. Squash it and use him somewhere else. Maybe peeling potatoes for a while...
My first child - '94 30-30