Axis burgers for dinner-yummy!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Axis burgers for dinner-yummy!

Post by crs »

Yes, Axis is tasty and this was just ground meat from non prime cuts. Looking forward to grilled tender loin and for back strap medallions.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Axis burgers for dinner-yummy!

Post by Mainehunter »

Just curious how lean is it? Most of the meat from game animals I've had for burgers needed some fat to keep it together. I'll bet it's delicious! :)

Mainehunter
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

It is lean similar to other venison, but did not seem to crumble apart.
My wife is an experienced wild game cook and she added only a sprinkle of salt and garlic powder (which I can do without) . She and I ate our burger patties as steaks and daughter and her husband ate theirs on burger buns.
All liked it. We saved two patties for our 18 year old grandson when he gets home from work. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

That's good if you don't have to add the fat, just salt or pepper for me. I did a quick search online regarding the Axis and didn't realize it's a problem down there in Texas. Is there a hunting season for them? My wife's cousin lives down around Austin area and her husband hunts a lot. I should ask him if he hunts them.

Mainehunter
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Axis are preferred by many. We take them as targets of opportunity. Axis numbers have increased in my part of Texas since 2002. At that time, seldom seen. 16 yrs later a common site, traveling in large numbers. Since they are preferred, I see no issue in their increased numbers. Axis does breed year round so fawns are always present. I leave the does alone as to increase the herd. There will come a day when they should be thinned. As they are not indigenous, there is no restriction on hunting them here.

TomF
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

On my list. One of these days I'd like to find an affordable hog/Axis hunt out here on the west side of TX.