JimT's post about the 130 grain bullet got me to wondering about 200 grain bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

JimT's post about the 130 grain bullet got me to wondering about 200 grain bullets

Post by wm »

JimT's post about the 130 grain bullet got me to wondering about 200 grain bullets in the 30 WCF. 150 & 170 grain bullets are of course common as dirt in 30 WCF and lighter bullets (90 - 135 grains) are only occasionally discussed but I was wondering if anyone does or had extensive work with heavy bullets in 30 WCF in the 200 grain weight range? I wonder if anyone would share their thoughts or experiences?

Wm
JimT
Shootist

Re: JimT's post about the 130 grain bullet got me to wondering about 200 grain bullets

Post by JimT »

I shot a ton of the RCBS 190 gr. cast bullet ... ran it around 1800 fps .. shot the white buffalo at Whittington with it. I played with the Sierra 180 gr. roundnose some .. ran it around 1970 fps ... never did anything serious with it. The 190 gr. cast bullet was very accurate.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: JimT's post about the 130 grain bullet got me to wondering about 200 grain bullets

Post by Thunder50 »

I have used the Leverevolution powder with a 190gr cast slug in my Marlin with outstanding results. Don't remember the velocity, but it was over 2000fps and hit our 200 meter gong with plenty of authority and about 2" groups. Not too shabby for a 30-30.

think I might build a 30-30 bolt gun. Turn the rims down to fit the .473" bolt face and just see what the thing will do as far as accuracy.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thunder50 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm think I might build a 30-30 bolt gun. Turn the rims down to fit the .473" bolt face and just see what the thing will do as far as accuracy.
Might as well just pick up a 788, guys in the CBA have long known what the 30-30 can do out of a good bolt gun.

Eric
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Did have a 788 in 30-30 but someone else wanted it more than me. Heck, I have the action, barrel and reamer sitting around, might as well have another project in the line with all the others :)
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Well, that's plenty enough reason to go ahead with a project in my book. Better to be in the shop than watching the tube or something. 8)

Eric
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sam Fadala said he liked to pull the 190-grain softpoints from .303 Savage ammo to load in the .30WCF as his "heavy."
Frank Marshall wrote a number of "Speaking Frankly" columns on heavy cast for the .30WCF in the old Cast Bullet Association Journal, if you can find them.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

The CBA sells a Frank Marshall collection on disc that is well worth it's modest price, good information and a wonderful writing style. He designed a heavy flat nosed 30 caliber bullet he called the Bench Or Woods Marshall (BOWM) that he put to good use in the 30WCF. Don't recall who made it but the RCBS 30-180-FN fills the same role nicely. My NOE copy of the mold drops bullets that are 201gr. cast of wheelweights checked and lubed.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like Jim T, I've shot my share of heavy bullets in the 30-30....I've always liked the 215 grain Lyman.....it's amazing what that cartridge will do out to 1000 yards. Yes, they will load and feed after some minor adjustments. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I was hoping some one could help my memory out with a specific 200 ish grain cast bullet, I think it was unique H&G offering, that was practically a wadcutter like profile. Wide flat nose and a hollow base. It was an absolute sledge hammer of a hitter but was finicky at feeding in lever guns.

I always wanted to try it on hogs and am expecting to do so hog hunting this spring but I can't find the article I thought I had saved written about its use.

So is this a figment of my imagination or can someone help me with the details?

Wm.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not a real heavyweight but I had a load for cast 180 grain RN gas check from a LEE load. I have to look it up but I believe I used 3031 powder. I gave up that load because I was not confident about the round-nose shape causing a chain-fire. These were wheel weight alloy. Maybe softer 100% lead a better bet. Anyone here shoot round-nose bullets from a tube magazine?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31