Who Makes The Best Walker Colt (Colt Walker?) .44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Who Makes The Best Walker Colt (Colt Walker?) .44

Post by Blaine »

I'd prolly never shoot it but it would be a dandy shooter to watch movies with. If I did shoot it, I'd surely want it to be very strong and accurate. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who Makes The Best Walker Colt (Colt Walker?) .44

Post by Grizz »

IT'S CALLED RUGER REDHAWK NOW . . . 8)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A friend of mine shooting one. He'd be the guy to ask ....

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm IT'S CALLED RUGER REDHAWK NOW . . . 8)
Ruger Supper Blackhawk. ( fixed it) :)
I believe Uberti is the only current manufacturer. You will get the best quality and support from Cimarron or Taylor.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Go to a big gun show and look for 2nd gen Colt. I bought a 2nd Dragoon for $200 and a brand new Army for the same price in the box. You just gotta look for them. 62 Police I had to pay 3 times that but they are sorta scarce. Watch the SASS classifieds but yeah, you need one. Or two.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pmGo to a big gun show and look for 2nd gen Colt. I bought a 2nd Dragoon for $200 and a brand new Army for the same price in the box. You just gotta look for them. 62 Police I had to pay 3 times that but they are sorta scarce. Watch the SASS classifieds but yeah, you need one. Or two.
This ↑ ↑ ↑

If you get these, I'll take the 1851 off your hands...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang...I must have had 20 of those second gen Colts. Used to pick em up for half of what they were going for....then the cowboy craze took off and off they went. I had serial number 50000 in the 62 pocket navy. Another very rare consecutive pair of 1851 Navy's that were made in 44 caliber....RJohns got those.

Personally, if I was going to buy one for shooting I'd just get a modern one that's still being made and beat the hell out of it.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 pm Dang...I must have had 20 of those second gen Colts. Used to pick em up for half of what they were going for....then the cowboy craze took off and off they went. I had serial number 50000 in the 62 pocket navy. Another very rare consecutive pair of 1851 Navy's that were made in 44 caliber....RJohns got those.

Personally, if I was going to buy one for shooting I'd just get a modern one that's still being made and beat the hell out of it.---6
I just want the Uberti clone....399 at Sportsmen's Warehouse. And I got a 100 buck gift card for Christmas... If you ever want a gun to go down in value, I'll buy one...I just don't have the hang of making a few bucks off them.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know who makes the best one, but WHY didn't they have some sort of latch so the loading lever wouldn't flop all over the place...? Did users wrap a leather thing around them, or were the real ones stiffer, or . . . was it also used as a monopod for long range precision shots... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine...Ubertis have come a long way since I remember them...in the early days they were real junk...and, well, you know, I'm Italian. :D Try one out, and do the "normals"....cylinder lock up...cock it and with the hammer at full cock, push it to see if it falls......with the trigger sear in the hammer notch......work it...probably will be gritty if new but should stay tight and locked.

As some here may or not know, the Colt second generation guns were Italian made and finished/put together here. This way they were able to get away from the Italian proof marks that some americans don't like.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm A friend of mine shooting one. He'd be the guy to ask ....
Good ole John.....hey, he has the same initials as you! (He robbed me something bad on a 4" 1950 Target in 44 Spl. :D ) That is one gun I sorely miss.....worth five times what JT paid me for it.....well, he did give me a bit of honor for it in one of his articles.----6

How's JT doing? I heard some time back he had a pulmonary embolism.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am
JimT wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm A friend of mine shooting one. He'd be the guy to ask ....
Good ole John.....hey, he has the same initials as you! (He robbed me something bad on a 4" 1950 Target in 44 Spl. :D ) That is one gun I sorely miss.....worth five times what JT paid me for it.....well, he did give me a bit of honor for it in one of his articles.----6

How's JT doing? I heard some time back he had a pulmonary embolism.
John is doing well. I communicate with him every week. He did have that embolism thing but came through it fine. The Lord was watching over him for sure. He has done a few hunts in the last couple years and had a great time. He is still quite active and I am happy to see it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Jim.....John and I have the exact same likes in sixguns....---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 am I don't know who makes the best one, but WHY didn't they have some sort of latch so the loading lever wouldn't flop all over the place...? Did users wrap a leather thing around them, or were the real ones stiffer, or . . . was it also used as a monopod for long range precision shots... :wink:
The Walker did have a latch, but heavy loads will overcome the latch with recoil.

If I wanted a Walker clone I sure wouldn't be buying a Ruger, or 1851, or any of the others offered up here. They might be great guns, but they just aren't copies of a Walker Colt. The Walker is a behemoth of a handgun at 4.5 lbs. and over 15" OAL it's a handful! But you need it all if you're shooting one with heavy charges.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 am I don't know who makes the best one, but WHY didn't they have some sort of latch so the loading lever wouldn't flop all over the place...? Did users wrap a leather thing around them, or were the real ones stiffer, or . . . was it also used as a monopod for long range precision shots... :wink:
The Walker did have a latch, but heavy loads will overcome the latch with recoil.

If I wanted a Walker clone I sure wouldn't be buying a Ruger, or 1851, or any of the others offered up here. They might be great guns, but they just aren't copies of a Walker Colt. The Walker is a behemoth of a handgun at 4.5 lbs. and over 15" OAL it's a handful! But you need it all if you're shooting one with heavy charges.
This. And, likewise, all the other suggestions are perfectly GREAT shooters.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Uberti.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have no idea why You would want to buy a Colt Walker .44 and not shoot it.....With full 60 grain loads. My Brother had a Winchester Model 70 .458 Magnum and We just HAD to shoot the 510grn solids just so we said we did. but to each His Own......
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just love the experience the forum offers. Thank you all for being fine gentlemen.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Colt 2nd Generation's are probably the best, but you pay through the nose for them now. Uberti's are now very good, and the best "shooter" you can find NIB, unless you get very lucky and someone parts with a Colt, who hasn't looked up the real value.

Yes, the originally did tie a leather thong around the barrel. And Colt, discovering the weakness, made sure all future iterations (and "Dragoon" series and beyond" had solid catches for the loading levers. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Walker was really close to the power of most of the black powder rifles of the time. In skirmishes with natives and Texas Rangers, it was often the deciding factor. Many former Rangers from back then spoke well of it in almost all areas except weight.

If I had one, I would shoot it. Why not?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

From Charles Edward Chapel's "Guns of the Old West".....

A quote attributed to John Salmon Ford.....

"In a trial between the Mississippi rifle and the horse Colt, the Colt threw the ball a further distance than the rifle."

It is assumed that the comparison was the 1841 loaded with a .526" ball (half-ounce) and 70 or 75 grains of coarse black versus the Colt and 45 grains if from a paper cartridge or 50 or more if from a flask and the picket conical cast from the issued factory mold.
m.A.g.a. !