JIMT's post got me wondering .... Any of you guys have a range specific handloading set up for load developement?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

JIMT's post got me wondering .... Any of you guys have a range specific handloading set up for load developement?

Post by wm »

JIMT's post got me wondering .... Any of you guys have a range specific handloading set up for load development?

I use a old Black & Decker portable work station that I can clamp a 4X6" board that I have a Lee C style press attached to. Along with a RCBS scale, calipers, wrench, funnel & powder measure with stand I can do a lot of load development right at the range. The trick is careful note taking and screening the wind.

I was curious if anyone else does this? I used to do a lot of work but I've kind of settled on some favorites, go to combinations for cartridges but with all these new powders I may get more use of it this summer.

Wm
Last edited by wm on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: JIMT's post got me wondering .... Any of you guys have a range specific handloading set up for load developement?

Post by GunnyMack »

I bought a Lee C for the same thing, I never. Took it with me to the range though. Now I just use it for crimp dies.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: JIMT's post got me wondering .... Any of you guys have a range specific handloading set up for load developement?

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing...after more than four decades of hitting the range, I never once loaded ammo while there. It makes LOTS of sense to......In load development I usually had it down in three visits...on a hard-to-do gun. Most antique Winchesters have it done in one, two at the most. I've gotten to the point where I can look inside the barrel, take a groove diameter measurement, twist of rifling, velocity needed and get her done fast. The preceding paragraph and the next 3 pertain to open sighted leverguns.

No, I'm not looking nor have the patience to squeeze another half inch of accuracy out of a load. Small variables like wind or my own at-the-time mental stability can vary more than a half inch.

I'll take along several loads in small batches along with my chronograph will tell me what I need to know.

For rifles that use cast bullets....almost all of mine, the first load will be a thou. over at 1000-1100 fps. If that load does not work, I sell the gun.

The accurate long range bolt guns are the ones that take the most amount of time because with these rifles, a half inch at 100 difference means a miss on the ram at 500 meters...so yes William, I should take your advice ...I have doubles, triples, quad. and even a half dozen duplicates in all loading gear. C clamp it and go to town!

Hey, off the subject but my statement reminds me of a joke.

There was this Polish man walking down the street in a town and was naked. A policeman comes up to him and asks him why he was naked. He tells the cop he was at a party and the host said, "Everybody take your clothes off!" which everyone did...and then the host announced, "OK, now go to town!". .....well officer, here I am.----6
Model A Uzi’s
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I have a very nice Buchnnan (spelling?) I got for that very purpose. Never have taken it to the range.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My shooting range for years was 100 yards from my shop on my own property. I rarely loaded ammo on the range because I was too close to the shop to worry about it. Nowdays I pretty much stick with what I developed over the years. It works. Thats all I need.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I've only ever owned a Lee hand press and I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.
I think one of the last things on my list for a "range specific handloading set up" is that Lee powder scoop kit instead of trying to weigh charges. I made a few scoops for the one powder I was having fun with (Trailboss), but once I started expanding I realized the kit would be a nice addition.

Right now I'm really enjoying the scenery while developing those "favorite" loads that a lot of you have already become familiar with, and I find there is less stress - knowing I can take full advantage of any range time with the small kit I have. It's got everything I need.

Press, dies, lubes - primers, powder, bullets and checks - scale/scoops, brass in cases. Cleaning kit, push rod and my chronograph.

All of it is neatly packed in a couple soft cases.

So many different powders and great bullets, and cartridges, and rifles........ and such limited time! (most of the time, for me anyway).

My travel kits began with Junior's writings on casting over a campfire :) Good times...
My first child - '94 30-30
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

The folks here got me onto the Lee handpress and everything I need fits into a small day pack. I take it to remote worksites or on the road with me for something to do during downtime. I should actually be using it at the range too as I am still at developmental stage with my current calibre. However I end up reloading more than I need away from the range.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Absolutely! My Huntington hand press and Harrell's Precision powder measure always go with me to the range to work up loads. I also use an old Simmons re-decapper to prime and decap cases at the range. They save me time and frustration during load work up, and also save me having to shoot loads I don't want to, or break them down if they don't shoot well.

Simmons tool:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep... I have a Lyman "Spartan" "C" press bolted to a ¾" piece of plywood with laminate glued to the "up" side. I initially bought this press back when I lived in CA, I had it so I could then bolt that to the tailgate of my p/u... Then I got rich enough to join a shooting club and could "C" clamp that Lyman press to the shooting bench next to mine and develop away. (That original p/u had been traded away for something that got better fuel mileage... which wasn't sturdy enough to use a loading bench)! The public ranges near me here in TX use CONCRETE benches, and my "C" clamps wouldn't fit. I use a Black & Decker Work-Mate type bench... but, now, after many trips to the range and many hours one load development, I pretty much stick to the tried & true loads I've developed over these many past years. However, I still find myself developing loads for the 45 Colt... and some for the .223/5.56. The 45 Colt as I'm constantly coming across a new component I want to try out, or a new gun... 8) 8) The .223Rem/5.56 as it's still a fairly new cartridge, (to me), and with (soon to be 4), of 'em in the house, I like to have at least one loading that'll work in all of 'em. And a deadly accurate load for each of 'em.

Now I tend to do my load development in the reloading shop, 50 or 60 yards from my informal 75 yard range. For longer work, I go to a public range... during the middle of week when they aren't packed with every yahoo from 6 counties around! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Not me, but I have seen one person doing that at a 500 yard range clubhouse.

He was the 500 yard record holder at the range with a TINY group. He also taught long range hunting and made rifles for that.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

I am very fortunate that our range is 200 yards from the barn, never considered a portable set-up. Plus I don’t shoot well enough :mrgreen: Some times I make the test loads again for iron sighted equipment if I’m getting inconsistent results.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Lee Hand press for neck sizing/decapping, Lee priming tool, RCBS Uniflow with micrometer and notebook with powder settings, HDS Compact press (no longer available) for seating bullets.
Glenn