Winchester 94 switch out question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigtheno
Levergunner

Winchester 94 switch out question

Post by bigtheno »

Greetings all!

I have recently purchased two winchester 94 recievers with all the internal parts (bolts, carriers, loading gates, etc.) but no barrel or mag tube. One is in 44-40 & the other is 30-30. I already have completed rifles in both calibers so here is my question:

What, if any, calibers could I buy a barel for but still use the internals? What other calibers use the same parts as the 30-30 & the 44-40?

Would a 32-40 use the same internals as a 30-30?

I hope that makes sense. Thank you!!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Winchester 94 switch out question

Post by Shasta »

.30-30 family is:

.25-35
.30-30
.32 Special
.32-40
.38-55
I believe the 7-30 Waters is in there too.

.44-40 alternate caliber is .38-40

Shasta

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The 30-30 you can also add the 219 zipper and Donaldson wasp if you want a varmint cartridge.
If you already have a 30-30 I'd look at either 38-55 or 219 to give you either a varmint cartridge or a game cartridge depending on what else you currently have in the rack.
I don't know of anything that you could use the 44-40 action for that would give you any improvement over the 44-40, which out of a strong action can be made to match the 44 magnum if you don't mind replacing the brass regularly.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The .44-40 internals could also be used in a 44Magnum or 45 Colt. I believe all use the same bolt, cartridge guides and carrier.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

bigtheno wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:15 pm I have recently purchased two winchester 94 recievers with all the internal parts (bolts, carriers, loading gates, etc.) but no barrel or mag tube. One is in 44-40 & the other is 30-30.

I hope that makes sense.
It don't make sense to me........if, as you say, you bought "two complete receivers but no barrel or tube" how do you figure "one is in 44-40 and the other is 30-30.........without the barrels? Receivers are not caliber specific.........

Did the seller tell you they were "previously chambered in those calibers?"

Maybe I read that wrong, especially the one in 44-40 which is a very problematic cartridge in the '94.------6
Model A Uzi’s
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

They were building the rifle & gave up most of the way through it. The internals they bought were for the 44-40 & 30-30. Thats what they were planning on chambering these in before I got them.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I would add to the list 7-30 Waters and the 35-30 wildcat (https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/35-3030-35-30/5494).

Also 41 long Colt. It is not a popular choice but Elmer Keith touted it as a very good man stopper out of handgun but it lacks range if you know what I mean. It would standout as a unique item if that appeals to you.

If you are seeking a barrel or other parts I hope you will consider asking us to bird dog for you. Are rates are reasonable …… pictures and the chance to live vicariously through your process.

Wm
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

I appreciate all your responces. I know I'm going to barrel the 30-30 in 32 special. If anyone has a lead on purchaseing one please let me know. If not, I see that midwestgunworks has some in stock.