Full Metal Jacket

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Full Metal Jacket

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/XRkyKYz5SYM

I didn't realize that R. Lee Ermey was not originally intended to be cast in any parts, and was merely an adviser hired for the production.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Full Metal Jacket

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That was a disturbing film -- or so I found it.
Ermey had quite a career in film.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/?ref_=tt_cl_t4
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Gunnery Sgt. Ermey (I feel he more than deserves full title and respect) made a good impression with Kubrick, and from there, rest is history.

And yes, FMJ is disturbing, as it should be. Actually most of Kubrick's films are disturbing when you get into and really watch them.

We lost a good one when Ermey left us.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

wecsoger wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:22 pm Gunnery Sgt. Ermey (I feel he more than deserves full title and respect)...
I enjoyed watching Lee Ermey, and appreciate and respect his service, as I do for all those who serve honorably in the military. But if you want to give him the respect of his earned rank it should be Staff Sergeant. His promotion to Gunnery Sergeant was honorary, given in 2002, 30 years after his medical discharge from the Corps. His active duty was in ground support for Marine Wing Support Group 17, his only experience as a DI in the movies.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pisgah wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm
wecsoger wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:22 pm Gunnery Sgt. Ermey (I feel he more than deserves full title and respect)...
I enjoyed watching Lee Ermey, and appreciate and respect his service, as I do for all those who serve honorably in the military. But if you want to give him the respect of his earned rank it should be Staff Sergeant. His promotion to Gunnery Sergeant was honorary, given in 2002, 30 years after his medical discharge from the Corps. His active duty was in ground support for Marine Wing Support Group 17, his only experience as a DI in the movies.
"In 1961, at age 17, Ermey enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and went through recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in San Diego, California. He served in the aviation support field for a few years before becoming a drill instructor in India Company, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, where he was assigned from 1965 to 1967.

Ermey then served in Marine Wing Support Group 17 at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Okinawa, Japan. In 1968, he was ordered to South Vietnam with MWSG-17, and spent 14 months in country. The remainder of his service was on Okinawa, where he was advanced to staff sergeant (E-6). He was medically discharged in 1972 because of several injuries. On May 17, 2002, he received an honorary promotion to gunnery sergeant (E-7) by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James L. Jones."

I would have suggested that perhaps it was a Meritorious promotion (from the CMC!), but since Ermey was "medically discharged" and not medically retired, there is a doubt about whether the promotion was "real" or would have affected any subsequent benefits that he might have received.

:|
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He was a credit to the Marine Corps, and he probably deserved the honorary promotion. RIP Gunny.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Corps does not recognize any Marine as an ex-Marine...those that separated honerably, anyway.
As a E-6 Army Retiree, I am most certainly still a Soldier. My Oath did not have an end date appended. Those Military that do not consider their oath currently valid are entitled to their opinion, but not my respect.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Vincent D'onofrio who committed suicide in the movie went on to have a great career in movies and television. I like him as an actor and always enjoy the parts he's played. Even the part as alien/farmer/wife abuser, in Men in Black.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/