Restoring a 22 pump action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Restoring a 22 pump action

Post by BlackKnight »

A buddy of mine inherited a 22 pump action. I got a brief glance at it. It's been neglected in a back corner for years, probably decades. He was wondering what to do to restore it. Fair amount of rust, dust, grit, grim and just years of neglect.
Is there a book or something you guys would recommend that I could point him to?
-BK
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Restoring a 22 pump action

Post by Pete44ru »

Some .22 pumpguns are scarce (and valuable) collector items (for instance a Colt Lightning or a Winchester 61 vs a Mossberg or Noble), even in terrible condition, so he needs to proceed carefully.

First, what is the make/model ?

In any event, the gun would need to be dis-assembled for a deep cleaning & lube.

Some rusting can be removed w/o harming the remaining original condition via using Big45 Frontier cleaner: http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

The stock can be refreshed via using Formby's Furniture Refinisher, following the can directions: https://www.idealtruevalue.com/store/p/ ... gLCk_D_BwE

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yep, even old ones can be real nice like my Winchester M61 bought with my paper route $ .
Grandson learning to shoot it a few years ago:

The metal and wood were refreshed a while back and it looks and shoots like new.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tough to say what to do if we have zero info on the particulars.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

First find out what it is, then a firearms disassembly book that covers that 22(several versions of those books available on fleabay usually). With the PROPER screw drivers and other tools, use the book to help you disassemble as far as you are comfortable with, at least the buttstock and forend wood. Then a couple days soaking the metal parts in mineral spirits won’t hurt anything. I sometimes use a turkey baster and squirt mineral spirits in all the books and crannies. Don’t have a pan big enough to soak the whole gun??? Rain gutter, sheet metal bent in a u with the ends capped, and my all time favorite a piece of PVC pipe with caps and the top of the pipe(laying horizontal) cut off or severely out leaving enough opening for the whole metal portion of the rifle. I use quick release clamps to keep the tube from rolling.
Good luck. If the gun has collectors value depending on the make and model, stop there and consult a good gunsmith, if it really only has sentimental value then proceed CAUTIOUSLY with stock refinishing and rust removal.
That is my opinion but Nobody listens to me I dont know nothin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Post by BlackKnight »

I shot him a message to see what the heck it is. I'll get back when I find out.
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Post by BlackKnight »

That was quick... Winchester pump .22, date of manufacture was around 1910 from what he was told.
-BK
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

BlackKnight wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 pm That was quick... Winchester pump .22, date of manufacture was around 1910 from what he was told.
-BK

That is defintely a collectible gun. It might be worth sending to a gunsmith for a restoration as opposed to a work bench cleaning. Two questions your friend has to ask himself is a) hhonestly what is my skill level when it comes to mechanical work? If its high then he could consider working on it himself. There is a lot of information to guide him to be found on the web. If he isn't good at this sort of thing then he should look into having a professional gunsmith do it.

& b) what am I trying to accomplish? Maximize the value for resale or return it to function for his own enjoyment or ?????

Once he answers those two questions his best course of progress becomes clearer.

Wm
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Post by BlackKnight »

Sounds like he and his brother are looking at having a local gun shop clean it up and sell it. Thanks for the input guys!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I think I speak for everyone when I say we wish him the best of luck.

Wm
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlackKnight wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 pm That was quick... Winchester pump .22, date of manufacture was around 1910 from what he was told.
-BK
That sounds like a either top-eject a Model 1890 or a similar Model 1906 (-06's were econo versions of the 1890) - either of which may have a value of $1K or more, depending upon the exact version.

The bottom 4 rifles below are Model 890's & Model 1906's (the upper 2 are later Model 61's):

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Your friend should start by giving the Winchester a good cleaning to get rid of dirt and grime. A good book is the NRA Firearms Assembly book that will give detailed disassembly instructions. Under $5 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Firearms-Assembl ... ZXKM0EHYXQ

Then once he has it cleaned, he can determine if it's as bad as it now appears. The metal should be cleaned with a good solvent like Hoppe's #9 and some bronze wool to remove surface rust, but not over clean the surface. Wood can also be gently cleaned and wiped with a wood treatment.
If you can get pictures of the gun it will help decide how good it is, and what should be done.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/