Prices for 22 LR Bulk Packs Lately...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Prices for 22 LR Bulk Packs Lately...

Post by Old No7 »

Ah, the ubiquitous 22 LR -- can't live or shoot much without it!

Back a couple of years ago, while the scalpers at gun shows or online were charging as much as 12 or 14 or more per round, the most I would pay was a self-imposed 6.5 cents ($32.50 per "brick" of 500), as I had a pretty good supply of bricks that were bought at 4.5 or 5 cents per.

Last week, I picked up two 1,200 round bulk packs at a price of only 4 cents per -- tax included!

Good stuff too -- Federal ammo -- none of that lousy Remmy stuff for me... :wink:

That would be "$20.00 a brick" -- which is a price I haven't seen for decade or so maybe?

Anyway, what are you guys seeing/paying these days?

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Prices for 22 LR Bulk Packs Lately...

Post by wm »

Same here. Last year my one of my New Years resolutions was to buy a 1000 rounds of 22lr a month. I don't shoot that much 22 obviously but while prices are once again reasonable I resolved I was going to build up a inventory because sooner or later the price is going back up.

And frankly I consider it be a hedge against inflation. I'm as likely to barter 22 ammo for this or that as I am to trade silver or gold coins.

Wm.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Couple months back a buddy found CCI standard vel for $240 for a case of 5000. Think he ordered 4 or 5 cases, still gotta go get mine from him! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Thank you mister trump for $.04 rimfires and $400 ar-15s......
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Trump has little or nothing to do with either the price of ammo or firearms. Prices for AR's peaked in 2013 and declined rapidly and have leveled off to current pricing since 2015. As for rimfire ammo it was always a case of supply and demand. Once rimfire hoarding and huge military contracts which took up production capacity were fulfilled, the price has returned to near what has been normal rates (adjusted for inflation).

Presidents get way too much blame and way too much credit for what happens in this country. They are convenient targets for praise and jeers for events that often out of their control.

Wm.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wm wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:54 pmAnd frankly I consider it be a hedge against inflation. I'm as likely to barter 22 ammo for this or that as I am to trade silver or gold coins.
Yep...

It would be easier to trade off a few hundred rounds of 22 LR for a gallon of gas from one person, some flour from another, an axe from another, and gunpowder from yet another, versus trying to get together all those people and chop up a $10 gold coin to divvy up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

wm wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm Trump has little or nothing to do with either the price of ammo or firearms. Prices for AR's peaked in 2013 and declined rapidly and have leveled off to current pricing since 2015. As for rimfire ammo it was always a case of supply and demand. Once rimfire hoarding and huge military contracts which took up production capacity were fulfilled, the price has returned to near what has been normal rates (adjusted for inflation).

Presidents get way too much blame and way too much credit for what happens in this country. They are convenient targets for praise and jeers for events that often out of their control.

Wm.
So you're saying that Obama didn't authorize his Homeland Security agents to purchase 1.6 billion rounds of ammo, thereby contributing to, if not causing, the ammo shortage?

OK.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Post by BlackKnight »

Wally World (Walmart) had Federal for $19.97 for a brick of 450 or 500 (might even be 525?) last time I looked. They seem to be able to keep these in stock too. Checking the ammo aisle is kind of a hobby of mine. The Mrs would call it an obsession. You can decide what to call it yourself. ;)

Little boxes of 50 were under $4. I don't recall if they were $3.95 or $3.50, but it wasn't really bad for a small amount. I don't recall which brand. I'm afraid my memory isn't what it used to be.

The 22 shelves had been empty for years (I used to work there, and checked regularly) until a certain tin-plated 'king' left office, and President Trump took the oath. About 2 months after that, 22 started to arrive. The shelves where full (and stayed that way) after he'd been in office about 4 months. You can draw your own conclusions.

-BK
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My local BiMart stores have American Eagle brand .22LR for $19.95 per 500 brick. Cheap enough I'm tempted to buy some, but have over 15,000 rounds still, and not sure I can shoot those all up in my life?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

BlackKnight wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 am Checking the ammo aisle is kind of a hobby of mine. The Mrs would call it an obsession. You can decide what to call it yourself. ;)

-BK
I do that too. :) After those years of seeing NO .22s on the shelves, I just like to see them there even if I'm not buying.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Federal copper plated 36 grain hp.22lr is available most of the time in Waxahachie for about $26.00 for a box of 500. Winchester sideways and Remington Golden usually fire are more expensive and decidedly less effective, but they are avalaible all the time. If I am just trying to cover area like a shotgun, I get the Winchester. If it is not critical that every round fires, I get the Remington. For accuracy and need that there are never any issues, CCI and Federal are used.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

FWiedner wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am
wm wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm Trump has little or nothing to do with either the price of ammo or firearms. Prices for AR's peaked in 2013 and declined rapidly and have leveled off to current pricing since 2015. As for rimfire ammo it was always a case of supply and demand. Once rimfire hoarding and huge military contracts which took up production capacity were fulfilled, the price has returned to near what has been normal rates (adjusted for inflation).

Wm.
So you're saying that Obama didn't authorize his Homeland Security agents to purchase 1.6 billion rounds of ammo, thereby contributing to, if not causing, the ammo shortage?

OK.

:roll:

I believe I addressed that when I said "Once rimfire hoarding and huge military contracts which took up production capacity were fulfilled, the price has returned to near what has been normal rates (adjusted for inflation)." Perhaps I should have said government instead of military contracts.

Just for a sense of perspective the Lake City, Missouri ammunition plant produces approximately 4M rounds of small arms ammunition (5.56, 7.62, .50 BMG and 20mm) every day. That’s 1.46 billion rounds of ammo a year. That's their normal yearly out put without necessarily running weekends or 3 shifts per day.

Ammunition is a huge market with US and foregin manufacturers (Federal, Speer, Remington, Winchester, Black Hills, etc domestically but we import a lot of ammo from Russia, Germany, Czech Republic, Israel, Brazil, Taiwan, Italy, etc.) all of whom are operating below maximum production capacity ...... 1.6 Billion rounds is a lot of ammo but it isn't enough to cripple the market.

If you index ammo costs to oil costs you will see a much closer cause and effect relationship. Also the needs of the military has receded significantly with the scaling back of operations in Iraq and in Afghanistan 5 years ago. http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/Se ... _ammo.html

And as to the reason why Obama adminsitration did that ..... well all I can say is darn near every federal agency has a armed law enforcement component. Posta Office/Postal Inspectors. Energy Department/Armed security for Nuke plants. USFWS, NTSB, Parks Dept, USDA, FDA, IRS, BLM, MSHA, etc. And they have all expanded their numbers in response to concerns about terrorism. The more armed guys you have guarding stuff, the more ammo you need for training and for duty.

Arming of federal government employees now shows the number of non-Defense Department federal officers carrying firearms (200,000+) now exceeds the number of U.S. Marines (182,000) according to a Wall Street Journal op-ed penned by former Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn (17 June 2016). For comparison federal officers with arrest-and-firearm authority numbered 74, 500 in 1996; over 200,000 exist today.

And one last thought is did that expenditure for ammo save any of those manufacturers? Certainly they were stung by the recession as much as any other part of the manufacturing segment of the economy. That purchase might have staved off a round of contraction and consolidation that we have seen off and on in the firearms and ammo industry. I certainly would have preferred the government making a large purchase of ammo, to seeing Remington ammo 'saved' by a foreign investor like Winchester Repeating Arms was. I can't prove that this happened but it is worth contemplating.

Wm
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Targetsportsusa.com In my home state of Connecitax, has great prices,4 cents a round is doable.
Rumble.com/ hickock45