Axis Deer - at last!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Axis Deer - at last!

Post by crs »

Image ''

Colin and I each shot Axis does this morning and meat is at the processor.  Note the rain water standing in the flat field.
====================================================
Why “at last” ? When Axis venison is touted as the tastiest of all?
Because for years , I have passed up easy shots at Axis because I was hunting other species. A few years ago, on the Long View Ranch, after taking a cow elk for meat, I decided to also shoot an Axis doe since there were trophy Axis bucks seen all over the property and the ranch manager said it should be easy hunting. You guessed it, two days of hard hunting and only one careless coyote to show for it. The only Axis does seen were either several hundred yards away or just disappearing into dense thickets. Axis and elk bulls were easier to approach!

Again, on another game rich ranch this year, my shooting seemed faultless- dropping two running hogs with a single shot each and dropping a standing Axis doe at 50 yards! So the guide and I thought! As we carelessly chatted and walked to the grove of trees where the Axis had stood facing us, it bounced up and bolted away into the thicket, never to be found! After the guide and I searched, twice the rancher sent a search and recovery team to reenact the shooting and try to locate the animal; no luck. The PH hunting with us said the only explanation was that the bullet had passed just under the neck and spinal column(and above the internal organs) and shocked the doe temporarily unconscious and it collapsed into the ground cover, invisible to the guide and me. More bad luck and/or dumb hunting. Such luck plus bad weather (washed out by rain multiple times) led up to this hunt in the second rainiest year in north Texas history.

As it had rained 3.5 inches just before the hunt, I gave the outfitter the option of delaying a few days. He assured me that the road to the ranch lodge and barns was all paved and we would use 4 wheel drive UTVs when in the field, and the blinds were spacious and heated, so we agreed to meet him there at 6AM Friday morning. Colin and I were up and on the road at 5am for the 47 mile drive from the farm to the ranch and arrived right on time.
The rancher/guide drove the UTV and dropped Colin and his guide off at a blind on a field near the barns and then drove us on through some really muddy trails into some woods toward a creek drainage. We parked and walked the hundred yards or so to the blind trying to avoid knee deep puddles. The elevated blind had a nice staircase, was spacious, had a propane heater situated under the shooting table! I took the right handed shooter position and we awaited shooting light. Eventually, we were able to see some game in the woods and finally had shooting light. But a sharp eyed Axis doe barked and led the others off at a dead run. No wonder they are called “barking deer”. The we heard Colin’s .308 fire and soon received a text saying they were ready to be picked up (hunter humor).

We closed the forward opening in the tinted window so even the sharp eyed Axis could not see motion and soon a lone whitetail doe drifted like a grey ghost into the area from the right. We hoped it would serve as a decoy and within a few minutes, two Axis does drifted in from the left. The rancher/guide opened the window just enough for my rifle and using his binoculars, determined the doe in the front to be the one to shoot. As I had been tracking the doe with my scope, I then shot it in the lower shoulder as soon as it stopped and raised its head to look around; it went down hard and in view. Not to allow another miracle recovery and escape, I jacked in another round and watched the deer closely for a while (as did my guide) and when we agreed it was done, he went for the UTV while I collected items and exited the blind.
We then picked up my deer, drove to the first blind, took pictures, picked up Colin, guide, and deer and drove to the cleaning barn where we saw that the two deer were both mature, the same size, and very fat and healthy. Big smiles all around.

In the daylight we could see several types of deer and antelope out in the fields and also the house used as a Lodge when staying overnight. It is new, clean and spacious with two bedrooms downstairs and one up. Next time down, we plan to come early, eat dinner at a well known nearby catfish café, and spend the night sleeping rather than rising early and driving in the dark. The ranch is located just north of a bass fishing hot spot, Lake Fork. Maybe some fishing in the spring?

All in all, a successful Father & Son hunt.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Axis Deer - at last!

Post by GunnyMack »

Great! Glad you both were successful.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic.
Heard of bullet pass through a number of times and the same deer being taken later on and although evidence of a bullet wound in perfect health. Heck a couple of years ago I shot a fox and it got away.
It leapt up in the air and I thought its a heart shot but no it ran off. A couple of month later I shot a fox and noticed a wound just above the breast plate and on the other side a star shaped hole! The bullet had passed between the sturnum and heart, not had chance to expand and was just starting to expand on leaving.
The fox was in perfect health.
Anyway, well done.....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Would love to have this experience. Congratulations Charles.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nath,
Right on! Truly experienced hunters have seen much that many others have not.

One deer season, I shot a fox with a .44 Magnum pistol and after the dust settled, could not locate the carcass.
Next season our hunters all saw a three legged fox in the same area. My 44 must have removed a front leg.

I have also killed wild turkey with a rifle(legal in Texas) and found different size bird shot in the legs and body. The bird had been shot before and escaped.

Another Texas thing is hunting on leased properties and having a wounded deer escape onto another property where you do not have trespass rights.
I have seen bucks drop as if poleaxed from a bullet that grazed an antler and then recover and run off. A well known deer hunt author wrote a book about Hunting Mature Bucks and his solution to avoid losing wounded animals was to shoot them in the shoulder where it may not hit the heart and lungs, but will at least break them down and anchor them in a place the hunter can get to them and finish them off. This may ruin some meat, but save a trophy.
I used the shoulder shot on the Axis I just took. A broken pelvis is also a good anchor. I used that shot on my Cape buff that had been shot through the heart but was walking into the bush - a place far from ideal to follow wounded DG.
Good hunting!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats on the axis deer. I hear it is very tasty too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a good hunt all around, congrats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Congratulations! We have Axis deer here on 3 of our main islands Lana'i, Moloka'i, and Maui. I have hunted all 3 islands and preferred Maui for 4 reasons: no closed season, no bag limit, either sex, and close to home (5 minutes away). They are everywhere there and can be seen in the middle of pastures in broad daylight. They are trying to eradicate them and losing the battle. Most of these deer are on private lands, and the landowners for various reasons including liability won't permit enough hunting on their lands to help control the population. I agree, they are the best eating deer species. They are grazers like cattle eating feeding almost exclusively in grass whereas white-tails and Muleys are browsers feeding on the leaves of plants. The Axis Deer have little if any "gaminess" in their flesh so more like lean beef. We used to hunt every Friday afternoon a group of us childhood friends, and always no pressure to shoot one as there was always next week. We hunted Native Hawaiian Homelands so very rarely saw any other hunters. We always had venison in the freezer because we always shared what we shot. Some of you oldtimers here probably remember my old posts from back then over 11 years ago. I sure do miss living on Maui.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ji,
good to hear from you and I do remember your posts. You hunted wild cattle also did you not?

Where are you living now?

Rihmfire,
I plan to try an Axis steak or roast soon to see if really is as good as elk!
I will report on that too.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

If I would have shot any of the Axis deer I have seen I am sure they would have been no problem to recover. Well, other than the zoo keeper having me arrested that is. :twisted:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Charles, it sounds as if it was a great hunt. Congratulations to both of you on getting your deer. Having seen Colin shoot, it is easy to understand a 1 shot kill from him.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
The landowner said there were two blinds from which to choose and we should determine who hunted from the 60 yard blind and who hunted the 140 yard blind. This time, the old guy got the closer shot, rather than giving it to the kid!
And the kid did fine.

The day was cloudy and grey until mid morning and my area had many large trees, so shooting light came soonest for Colin.
They also had more variety of game milling around and needed to be more careful not to shoot through one deer and kill one or two more behind it.

I just finished the last cooked hamburger steak from Troupe's whitetail buck and am looking forward to trying the Axis.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

crs wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 am Ji,
good to hear from you and I do remember your posts. You hunted wild cattle also did you not?

Where are you living now?

Rihmfire,
I plan to try an Axis steak or roast soon to see if really is as good as elk!
I will report on that too.
That wild cattle hunt on Maui I wasn't able to attend due to recovering from a recent back surgery (#2). This was a culling hunt on Kaupo ranch which has pure black wild cattle. A buddy has family that has worked on that ranch for generations so it was a rare event to have access to which I missed. On the Big Island of Hawai'i there are wild cattle roaming the forests there since the late 1700s when Capt. George Vancouver gifted some cattle to The Kamehameha who kapu the cattle making a capital offense to harm any of them, and they multiplied like crazy with no natural predators not even man. The descendants of these cattle are what live in the forests above Hilo town. The locals call them "Vancouver Bulls" for this reason. One day I want to take my 45/70 SMLE Sporter up there and hunt them but my bum back may prevent that. I do not want to hunt an animal just for sport and not be able to carry the meat out, life is too precious to waste it just for the thrill of the kill, and a pair of mounted horns.

I moved back to my home island of O'ahu over 11 years ago when my aging parents took i'll. They both passed away, and I took care of the old homestead trying to make repairs and landscape the property after over 20 years of neglect by my sister who was living with my parents while neglecting them and the property. She was booted off, and after 10 years of effort R&Ring the place it was sold last year and the proceeds divvied up between 6 siblings with the eldest sibling getting 45% as dad had willed. Still living in the same town but the cost of living here is killing us financially. Hopefully I can retire to a less expensive town before I get buried, maybe Punta Gorda, Fl. I here the fishing and pig hunting is great there.
We used to make Axis Deer jerky by the ton, great stuff if you have any leftover to make jerky.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The Axis meat should be ready to pick up this week from the game processor. We will waste no time trying some of it.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You will not be disappointed in the Axis meat. I went with a friend of mine to hunt free range Axis outside Senora last January. We both killed nice bucks, and I killed an additional doe after that. Much better meat than venison. Mine is nearly gone already. Just got word from the Taxidermist down there that our mounts are ready. I also killed an Aoudad Ram that's ready too. That meat on the other hand wouldn't make coyote bait. Nasty, stinking critters.
NRA Life Member
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

TedH wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39 am You will not be disappointed in the Axis meat. I went with a friend of mine to hunt free range Axis outside Senora last January. We both killed nice bucks, and I killed an additional doe after that. Much better meat than venison. Mine is nearly gone already. Just got word from the Taxidermist down there that our mounts are ready. I also killed an Aoudad Ram that's ready too. That meat on the other hand wouldn't make coyote bait. Nasty, stinking critters.

I have often wondered about the quality of meat from hunted goats and rams. The processor of the texas dall ram I shot suggested he grind it all and that we prodigiously use taco seasoning or chili powder high in cumin content.

That is what we did and the result was still quite fusty. We were able to choke it down with sips of strong, bitter tea but the dog was not in the least interested.
m.A.g.a. !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Funny you would say that about the dog. My friend shot a young Aoudad ram on the first day we were hunting. We had heard the meat was not the best, but being rednecks from Missouri that have ate all manner of wild game from crow to coyote, we had to try it. We peeled out a backstrap from the little guy and carefully prepared it that night in camp. The result was something resembling spoiled liver flavored boot leather. After choking down a couple bites, I offered the rest of my piece to the dog. He sniffed it, reluctantly took it in his mouth, and after a couple chews, spit it out on the floor.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, glad to hear confirmation on the aoudad meat. I hear everything from "it's not that bad" to "don't even bother" -- mostly the latter. The Lincoln National Forest starts about a quarter mile from my house and a good share of NMG&F Unit 34 is an over-the-counter aoudad tag, but I haven't been too interested. An Axis deer -- or a nice 100-pound hog -- is what I'd love to take a crack at.