I think I'm on the hill...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

I think I'm on the hill...

Post by Camel73 »

Well, 45 now and moving slower these days lol, and mornings seem to take about twice as long as I remember.... Maybe it's time for a heating pad or something..

Any advice from the weathered?
My first child - '94 30-30
piller
Posting leader...

Re: I think I'm on the hill...

Post by piller »

53 here and my issues all seem to stem from a family history of gallbladder issues and too many relatives with celiac disease. As long as I stay away from everything made from wheat or barley and go easy on the meat, I am just a little slower than I was a few years ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

49 here, feel like 79 most days. Chronic T9 that spends more time out of alignment than in. I still think in my head like I'm 18 but my body don't! Things are sore that never were before... Golden years my butt!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

46. That's when I noticed things getting a little more difficult.
Stiffer, back pain, knee pain. Eye problems and worse of all, ear hair!
Ear hair, what the heck! It grows so fast!
51 now, 52 soon. My long range shooting days are long gone and belly crawling ain't going to happen anymore!
Bet you wish you had not asked now :lol:

Nothing to offer any help with sorry.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For me it's the nose hair- grows like bamboo!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I mean really... What, exactly is the evolutionary advantage of having hair in your ears?

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Camel73 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:45 pm Well, 45 now and moving slower these days lol, and mornings seem to take about twice as long as I remember.... Maybe it's time for a heating pad or something..

Take two blonds and call us in the morning...…….. :wink:

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 pm I mean really... What, exactly is the evolutionary advantage of having hair in your ears?

Well there you go, evolution is a crock then!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

A pleasant elderly lady that I was sharing a seat with gave me some sage advice:

"It's OK to be "over the hill", than underneath it"

Cheers Mark
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ooh, that was a good chuckle!
You guys crack me up, thanks, I needed that :lol:
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I'm 55 with a 14 year old son and a lovely Bride of 27 years. Enjoy each day, MK
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gee! 45 and complaining. Do you realize how many of us here would love to see 45 again? These kids are only learning that getting old isn’t for sissies.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My Dad was 60 when I was born on my Mothers 43rd birthday.
I'm 70 now and can't imagine putting up with a 10 year old.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Camel73 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:45 pm Well, 45 now and moving slower these days lol, and mornings seem to take about twice as long as I remember.... Maybe it's time for a heating pad or something..

watch out - that miserable cliff isn't far away!!! :cry:
Merle from PA
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Your experience sounds similar to mine camel73, Im 44. I was always a big guy I wrestled at 220 and walked around at about 250-260 after 30yrs of age. I found I hit a wall just the last couple years. Knees hurt, back taking longer to straighten up after sitting, snoring more, even my eyes were drying out( sounds bizarre, maybe from poor sleep). It took some disclipne but I dropped back to 230 and have to admit it energised me a lot and a range of niggles just faded. If I let it float up literally 15lbs bang a lot come back and I feel dull.It isn't a cure all , age will catch us all up, but some vigorous exericse and good diet can have mental benefits at any age.
Last edited by mickbr on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

mickbr wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:19 am Your experience sounds similar to mine camel73, Im 44. I was always a big guy I wrestled at 220 and walked around at about 250-260 after 30yrs of age. I found I hit a wall just the last couple years. Knees hurt, back taking longer to straighten up after sitting, snoring more, even my eyes were drying out( sounds bizarre, maybe from poor sleep). It took some disclipne but I dropped back to 230 and have to admit it energised me a lot and a range of niggles just faded. If I let it float up literally 15lbs bang a lot come back and I feel dull.It isn't a cure all , age will catch us all up, but some vigorous exericse and good diet can have mental benefits at any age.
This IS good advise! 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'll be 80 in March and man do I feel it. I got a new knee a year ago in October and now the other one is acting up 'til I have to use a walker. Had bypass surgery to get ready for the new knee. I've had surgery on both shoulders and have a pacemaker but I've got a 9 year old to get into college so I'm hanging on. No, getting old ain't for sissies.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The best revenge for us more experienced folks, it to watch youngsters like this get old! 45 was over 2 decades ago, you really don't know what slowin' down is like... yet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Don't look for sympathy or expect it, the world can be a brutal place and everything We heard from All the old Geezers comes to Us All if We live long enough. I had to work 6 days a week till I was about 55 when they cut overtime at work. past 55 I've had some health issues to deal with. I'll be 65 this spring and am planning to retire while I can still have some fun. I isn't easy but We gotta keep on going.....time to go to work. :shock: .
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Well, it's much worse than I let on, so sympathy isn't needed, just pointers and comradery.

If I know you guys are gettin through it then I know I can too.

I'm a physical guy who's always loved his work, but things are beginning to stack up.

Just reading all of your stories helps even.

My hat's off to all who endure your ever-so-present scars of time.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

At 45 I was as fit as a Mallee bull.
At 60 I feel like I've had the stuffing stomped out of me by a Mallee bull.
It all comes down to the live you've lived, if you've lived a hard life, it's gonna catch up with you sooner or later.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

gundownunder wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:06 am At 45 I was as fit as a Mallee bull.
It all comes down to the live you've lived, if you've lived a hard life, it's gonna catch up with you sooner or later.
I agree with that, years of riding a hard tail Harley for thousands of miles, drinking and smoking most my life now over weight and out of shape.
I`m counting my days. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I never noticed a thing till about 48. Then it was mostly old injuries I thought had healed. :D
I'm 51 now, so still not old, I just think about things before I do them. :D
Twenty years of dirt bikes and countless other body pounding hobbies are catching up.
I ain't complaining, I can still get around pretty good in the woods, can do a fair amount of work outside, and have good reflexes.
I can just see a difference.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Ah, to be 45 again... I remember when I joined leverguns forum (the old one) over 15 years ago I was the young buck in the group. Now I'm pushing 60 and feel like I was hit by the Mack truck. Chronic back issues since a 2004 industrial injury and 4 subsequent back surgeries has left me in not so good shape. I get a epidural injection in my lower spine on Wednesday, and I start a forced college education for 2.5 years (associates degree in mechanical CAD drawing) starting Friday. By the time I get my degree I will be 62. I wonder if anyone would hire a 62 year old senior with zero work experience in CAD? If I don't go to school the State will cut off my WC checks and close my case, they refused to wait a semester to complete my treatment plan. If I fail any of my classes they will cut off my WC checks and close my case. They are over-ruling my doctor on a technicality, and my WC lawyer refuses to fight them. I shall just grin and bare it like a good soldier. Wish me luck. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Just so you know....when you think it cant get worse....youd be wrong. :mrgreen:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yeah, old injuries you thought had healed pop back up and bite you -- a "healed" shoulder jerked out of whack 30 years ago in a dirt bike crash finally led to a full-on shoulder replacement and plumb wore-out knees led to two knee replacements (thank goodness they now have a spare parts bin for old pharts...).

I thought it was all down-hill from here but dang if my old crickety back hasn't got better. Who knew that could happen? What saved me is the back got so bad I could hardly get out of bed in the morning so I got to sleeping with the adjustable bed cranked clear up in the sitting-up position. A few months of sleeping that way and my back began giving less trouble. A year of sleeping that way and I was nearly pain-free in the lower back area for the first time in 60 years (I've been having "back trouble" since my early teens). Turns out I had been throwing my back slightly out of whack in my sleep by side-sleeping for all my life.

I have now been pain-free in that old lower back area for an entire year and at Christmas dinner I warned the grandkids (and great-grandkids) that their old gpa was going to make a back-pack trip next summer and they could come along if they wished. I am hopeful (and semi-confident) that a sleeping hammock hung between a couple of trees will keep the old back in proper position to keep me going down the trail.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I will gladly trade you my 78 for your 45. :D
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

When I retired at 68, I was in the best shape of my life. I'm trying to maintain that with bicycling , long bow and pushups. So far so good.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Wow! I really appreciate all of the posts.
I gotta say, as one of the younger bucks, I do glean as much wisdom as I can, and have been for years off you all.

This place is one of my favorite barstools, with all you old fanny burbs and all your little nuggets of floaty wisdoms all over the place... Kinda like the kid who gets to go hunting with his uncles lol.

I've been looking to make a comeback for about 15 years now...........
A 20 year old posterior lateral annular fissure, and now bilateral facet arthrosis, narrowing of the neural foramina, posterior disc bulges among other medical terms from L1-S1. Then there's my neck..
A month and a half ago I was feeling pretty good, went to get off the roller (oil changes) and tweak!
I crawled around the house screaming for 4 days.
I actually got stuck standing up, hanging onto my doorframe for about 20 mins, just yelling lol.
She was a doozy. So, morals of the story are many... including a new 'old guy' core program.

Last year I was clipped by an suv doin 50 through a crosswalk. I felt a disturbance in the force (and I'm not a big 'new' star wars fan), so I double checked and by golLY JUUUMP!!! I almost cleared the hood. Surgery is in a few months. Good thing it's only my knee, that lady could have killed me, or worse.

And so, as it stands, I figure I'm just cresting.
I see a flat ahead and, what is this... through the trees...another peak further up??

It's happened before...... bushwackin a new view of the world before me.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Well, you have my sympathy! A few things I discovered in my 40's;
don't dig for 1st base to beat being thrown out, your quads will not survive the effort;
you can actually injure yourself while sleeping;
hard contact sports are for folks whose bones and ligaments are more pliable;
25 extra pounds around the middle are a killer;
and spend as much time with your Dad as you can.

58 and feeling it😂
nwcatman
Levergunner

Post by nwcatman »

seriously?? fortys and complaining? i started my second career in law enforcement at age 40, started lifting weights at age 40, i could go on and on. am looking at 68 in april, have 2 titanium rods in back, shoulder surgery, knee surgery, hand and wrist surgery in 2 weeks, every time i get an x ray i have to hear about all the unhealed broken bones that it shows. every morning i have to unbend the fingers on my right hand. all this and more and i still reload tons of ammo, hunt on foot, fish, repair my truck and jeep, two gardens, etc etc drs keep saying i plain wore everything out growing up on a farm in the 50s and 60s and wrestling drunks etc in the 70s thru 2012. i live on ice packs and heat pads. I'D LOVE TO BE IN MY 40s again! like my grandmother told me many years ago, if theses are the golden years you can stuff em. you can have ur fun, you just gotta be willing to pay for it!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:38 am
gundownunder wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:06 am At 45 I was as fit as a Mallee bull.
I agree with that, years of riding a hard tail Harley for thousands of miles, drinking and smoking most my life now over weight and out of shape.
I`m counting my days. :lol:
I remember falling with a couple of girls and riding from Tulsa to Omaha on my knuckle. Had a great time but when I got home I was peeing red. You may last another 30. I'm gonna.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not forgetting the other disadvantage of our side of the hill, which was mentioned in the thread about retirees getting out of bed.
Pee at 4am, dump at 5am, and wake up at 6am.
You've got so much to look forward to kid, enjoy it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I've reached the metallic age. Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth and lead in my azz!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Oh, to be 45 again! At 45, folks still thought I looked to be about 35. Then, at age 47, things started falling apart, and at age 55, someone in his mid-sixties guessed my age to be 65. That hurt!

Advice? Well, I wish I had not fired so many big-bore Magnums, from large-frame sixguns, too big for my K/L-sized hands, in the Eighties, and, fewer .357 Magnums in the Nineties and early 21st Century. Now, I shoot milder cartridges, mostly from heavy guns, to damp the recoil.

I learned to appreciate autoloading shotguns, as my right arm sometimes balked when pumping an 870, in my early/mid-fifties.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Oh ya, sleeping. Lol

I began doing the wake up thing just a couple years ago. Like the wind, just try making good use of what I can't control. Generally, I don't mind it.. I got stuff to do anyhow.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I shot a single shot 410 the other day....it hurt, ..a little. :mrgreen:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I'm 48 and just getting warmed up good. My forties have truly been my best decade.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have both feet in the grave and I'll be 73 in March. Arms and shoulders are starting to give me trouble, especially during the cold and rain. Clinically deceased once and as long I can watch the grass grow, I figure I am ahead of the game. Cannot complain too much, life has treated me better than many others....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A guy I used to know literally died at work, a TV station. Paramedics took him to hospital. Docs declared him dead. A few hours later in the morgue he sits up scares the bejeebers outta the coroner and he walks out. Gods honest truth! This guy had a serum cholesterol that was very high. Yeah his heart stopped but somehow he came back on his own. He would tell this story and just laugh his butt off cuz he beat the grim reaper!
Anytime above ground is good!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My first reaction to this thread was, "I wish I was 45 again!" But then I came to my senses and realized I'd be working again, and that's scary!!! In my very late 60's now, and although I'd love to feel 45 again, I sure don't want to be there again.
My only advice for those who are 45 and feeling old is to stay as active as possible! The more you fight through the aches and pains, the less likely you'll be to succumb to them at an early age. I've got plenty of things wrong, but wont let that stop me from enjoying life, and pushing through the pain to do so. What's the option? Roll up in a ball and play dead?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 pm I mean really... What, exactly is the evolutionary advantage of having hair in your ears?

Men are alloted a certain amount of hair that they always have. When it stops growing on your head, it has to come out someplace else or your head explodes and you become a Liberal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cherish your 40s...you ain't seen or felt nothin' yet..... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My neighbor who worked in the same shipyard I do for 36 years said to me out of the blue one day, so you think its tough going into work everyday? Try being 85 with bone on bone knees getting up to go to take a leak 4-5 times a night!
I have had both my shoulders tuned up years ago a little COPD and have a creaky knee and sore hips this fall. But I count my blessing I still can hobble around in my 6th decade and last year walked 6-8 miles in the Colorado mountains daily hunting elk. I don't think that will be a habit though.
I will say I was warned by my late Father that getting old is not for the weak or faint of heart. I also remember my Gram taking a spoonful of cod-liver oil to keep the joints loose. At least we have pills today for that!
I think the best plan is to go down fighting!!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm Cherish your 40s...you ain't seen or felt nothin' yet..... :wink:
Well said. My 40s were FANTASTIC. The problems started at 50. 58 now, still blessed but boy am I slowing down.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

I don't know what some of you are going to when you actually get old! I'm embarrassed at how much I can't do or how long it takes me now.

My shoulders are bad enough that I can't get full buckets of range scrap into the back of our Honda Element. I can still slide/swing them out though so I fill smaller buckets, carry them up the stairs (range is in the basement) and dump those in the 5 gal. ones already in the car. When I get home I can slide them out of the side door. Once on the door sill they tilt some and will eventually slide out the door and sort of controlled crash onto a hand truck. I can slow them down enough that nothing breaks when they hit the ground.

I smelt and mix alloys in 250# batches. On a good day I can do 3 batches before the shoulders get to acting up, usually 2 makes more sense as I have to mark them and stack them on shelves.

The new smelter I put together last spring works fast so I'm not standing there for hours but the hips & knees still complain and I can't move around real well. Walking is kinda rough unless I just shuffle along. The result of that is that I don't shoot much at 100 yds or more, it seems to take forever to shuffle 200 yds. and back.

I can still shoot fairly well but the eyes just don't work like they once did. I need a LOT of light to do any fine work, used to do my best work in the dark.

Oh, BTW, I'll be 70 in July.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Men are alloted a certain amount of hair that they always have. When it stops growing on your head, it has to come out someplace else or your head explodes and you become a Liberal.
:lol: :lol:
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

You learn how to adapt and improvise...

The old joke, when your young and you fall down, you look around to see if anyone noticed, when your old and you fall down you look around to see if theres anyone to help you up... :mrgreen:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ok, I don't feel so bad now. 26 years on jump status with my last jump at the age of 47 in Africa during a combat tour. My last combat trip to Afghanistan (from where I joined this site) in my mid-fifties where I hunted bomb makers. A few scars from getting shot, blown up, and surgeries (two for cancer). Not as fast and overweight as I was but still functioning in my 60's. I still get to wear body armor and gunbelts and am required to qual with a rifle, shotgun, and sidearm for a job where I donate my time to help the community when I am not hunting.
Africia c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts