Cord cutting, the cable TV kind

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Cord cutting, the cable TV kind

Post by wecsoger »

Just did it, this evening. Took my my TV cable box in and dropped the service. Also got an updated cable modem.

My bill, per the agent will drop more than half, 79 and sumpin'.

My updated internet speeds went from 36 meg down to 235 meg down. (whoopee, more cat videos!)

Mama bear was against it, but we *never* watch commercial TV. Sports? Nope.

We've found most of the PBS stuff we like (Nova, Nature, etc.) is avail. on Amazon Prime and the PBS channel.

Found a lot of other shows I like on the PBS channel like the Woodright's Shop. (37 some seasons!)

Other shows I like, Tim Farmer's Country Kitchen and Kentucky Life are on Youtube.

I'm exploring Pluto TV right now. Multiple music channels, Pluto also has the SlowTV channel, the Conspiracy channel (grin), and the fireplace channel.

Now if only I can get my wife to float some of those saved $$ my way for more guns and ammo...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Cord cutting, the cable TV kind

Post by AJMD429 »

In 1988 we moved into our house, and the only way to get television there was a 40 foot mast antenna. No cable. Satellite I suppose.

We selected "none of the above", as we were starting a family, and didn't want to raise kids who stated at televisions all day instead of reading BOOKS, doing chores, THINKING, and actually DOING things instead of watching them.

No television now for 30 years, and high-achieving, well-adjusted, non-drug-abusing, politically-informed kids, 3 out of 4 who lost their virginity to their spouses.

AND I am in far better physical shape for not having watched 30 years of 'sports' on TV.

Ditch the cable....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

A ROKU box is inexpensive and a snap to install. Lots of free channels and, Hulu and Netflix are even cheaper than Amazon Prime.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh...wish I could say that..we have Fios and "bundle"......the wife loves the cooking shows and QVC...which is only 10 miles down the road......We don't watch NO SPORTS IN ANY WAY OR FASHION.....At the end of the day I do like Fox News and the military channel.....it is RARE for regular TV to be on.---The Count
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

300 channels and nothing on 98% of the time.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Good comments and true, y'all

Forgot to mention we have an outside digital antenna, 60 some channels although a number are dupes (three cities, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus)

We have a Roku, and an original Chromecast

Have a lot of news sources, Fox was one but we watched very little of the 'news', but checked out Brett Baier's hour with the commentary.

Even that news panel went downhill and we were heartbroken when Charles Krauthammer left us.

The new media today is a joke, I can say that with certainty since I do have an actual university degree (almost new in box, used very little) in communications/radio/TV.

I think for now, we'll be able to get by.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm as guilty as anyone for having the idiot box turned on. However I only have stuff on that I have intrest in, history, discovery, cooking, outdoor & sportsmanship channels. Fox is only news I watch and that's only about an hour in the mornings.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Roku, Prime with HBO & Starz add ons, Netflix. Antenna gets six channels in HD
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My son, the computer guru, dropped cable years ago and gets all that wants over the Internet.
This has left more time for hobbies and saves $$ to be spent on shooting and hunting.

IMHO, very little of value on TV anyhow now that FOX has to give liberals equal time.
Compared to real hunting and fishing, the outdoor channels are boring and full of commercials.
Hell, I would rather be clearing brush or fixing fence than watch them!

There are the occasional old John Wayne movies to occupy idle time.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I turned in the Cable Box over 10 years ago...Netflix, and Prime with HBO and no commercials....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We got rid of cable TV about 18 months ago . got one of the new antennas, a signal booster and a rotor. We get about 12 stations HD TV and depending on the weather sometimes as many as 30. too much to watch on Netflix and Roku . We just finished watching a show on the Smithsonian Channel all about " the 1920's in color" that was fantastic. don't miss cable TV.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We had satellite service for one year because the wife thought she wanted to watch football. That was 12 years ago. when the first year was up we pulled the plug. We get 51 channels over the air. I watch PBS 90% of the time unless the missus tunes in something else. The cable companies have lost their minds.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Interesting comments, all.

Surprised me, thought demographics here was primarily retired curmudgeons, and wanna-be retirees - I'm in the latter category.

It appears we're a lot more technically adept and tuned-in than I thought.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

no tv for me...... haven’t had it more than 40 years ! i would pay just not to have to hear or see it, if i had to
cable
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Last time we had cable was in 1995 right before we moved to Maui for 12 years, and coming back I had to desire to start back up. I put a 10 feet mast on highest point of my roof so got three local stations including a Japanese language channel so I got my Sumo and Chanbara fix for free. We had internet so I got a $29.00 Roku player which got me more channels than I needed for that onetime purchase price.
Last year I sold the old homestead and moved to my new home which is a couple miles closer to the vertical 3500' cliffs of the Ko'olau mountain range which cut TV signals way down to a half dozen religious channels, and HSN, and QVC even with a higher antennae mast and remote rotating antennae. Thank goodness for Roku and Netflix.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 pm In 1988 we moved into our house, and the only way to get television there was a 40 foot mast antenna. No cable. Satellite I suppose.

We selected "none of the above", as we were starting a family, and didn't want to raise kids who stated at televisions all day instead of reading BOOKS, doing chores, THINKING, and actually DOING things instead of watching them.

No television now for 30 years, and high-achieving, well-adjusted, non-drug-abusing, politically-informed kids, 3 out of 4 who lost their virginity to their spouses.

AND I am in far better physical shape for not having watched 30 years of 'sports' on TV.

Ditch the cable....!
Good for you Doc, you are a wise man. I used to be an addict but some years back a storm knocked out my cable. I reported it several times, my neighbor reported it several times(theirs was not out but the cable to my house was laying across the yard and it scared them, I coiled it up and placed at bottom of pole so they could use the yard). As time went on and they did not repair it I got back into reading more, reloading, tinkering with stuff around the house and since I still had internet I could stay informed. Then they started threating to take me to collections because I had not paid my bill. That is when the fight started. They were trying to bill me for late charges and stuff, I tried explaining that I had paid my bill for July, which I only received 7 days of service and would not pay them anything until I had received that months service. They countered saying I had to pay for the service even though I had not received it for the next 3 months and they would decide if I had a refund coming. Next bill they I responded with a bill of my own for storing their equipment and a note stating that if they did not satisfy the bill and quit harassing me my lawyer would be seeing them in court. This finally got me a call from someone with authority who deleted the charges for the services I did not receive and the late charges and got my service restored. I left it hooked up until I had received the days of service I had not got in July, then removed the cable from my house, put the box out side, called them and told them what I had done and informed them that if they set foot on my property after they had removed their equipment I would prosecute them for trespass. I guess they listened to that because when they pulled the cable for the new house next door they pulled it 300 feet from the junction on the other side as opposed to the 100 feet or so crossing my yard.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Spent the years in Africa without news or tv. Had movies on dvd's and in digital form and still watch movies at times. But I found out that being outside the country .. not listening to news .. not reading it or thinking about it ... was very peaceful. I have kept it up and still don't listen to any of the propaganda ... either left or right wing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hfcable wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:45 pm no tv for me...... haven’t had it more than 40 years ! i would pay just not to have to hear or see it, if i had to
Given your forum name (hfcable) that's ironic... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

.. not listening to news .. not reading it or thinking about it ... was very peaceful. I have kept it up and still don't listen to any of the propaganda ... either left or right wing.
You got it! :D 8)

I haven't watched network news in years. In my opinion it's nothing but propaganda, as Jim said.
They simply haven't got time to do anything in depth, and they wouldn't dare to, as the advertisers
would stop doing business with them, or the White House would cut off their access.

Most newspapers are the same way. All of the news has to be "vetted" before it's reported.

I don't miss the network news, and I certainly don't miss the sound of the ads on TV!

-Stretch
gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

2.5 years of no cable for us. I did the math at my last home and figured that after paying the cable company the 14 years we owned it, it added up to about $25,000. That number was sobering to me. I had exactly ZERO to show for it.

I have a HDTV antenna on top of the hooch and have 40ish channels with it. Also have Amazon Fire Sticks on our TVs and honestly, anything I want to watch, I can 99% of the time find it on YouTube.

I thought I would miss certain technical shows, but there's so much more on YouTube that is of the homespun yet high quality variety that I don't miss it at all.