Henry youth model 22LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Henry youth model 22LR

Post by mickbr »

On another thread I was checking out 22Lr options for a friend re-entering the gun sports and in the process I got to handle a few of these youth models. Don't laugh at me :D but I was considering getting one for myself as another compact farm gun and for teaching some youngsters to shoot with open sights and scope. On that note was wonderng if anyone knows the smallest scope possib;le for a gun like this? Also opinions of this model?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry youth model 22LR

Post by jhrosier »

The Bushnell TRS-25 red dot is quite compact (in both size and price.)
I'm pleased with the one that I mounted on my Ruger PC 9 carbine.
Jack
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had the Henry's ancestor the Erma carbine, I would buy the Henry youth carbine tomorrow if only my 9422 would wear out!
The short stock and barrel and only weighing four and a half pounds would suit me just fine, I also like the Big loop carbine too.
Even with my old eyes I wouldn't scope it though :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I own a Henry Classic Lever Action .22 Carbine (see pic -- Model H001L) which is somewhat similar to the Youth Model (the Youth model has a shorter stock). This is the only .22-cal rifle I presently own. Had a Browning BL-22, a Marlin 39A, and a two Ruger 10/22's but the Henry is my favorite and the other's went down the road. It has been very reliable, easy to take apart, simple, inexpensive, the lever-action is smooth, really like the big-loop, and it's a ton of fun to shoot. You can't go wrong with a Henry... :)
H001L-Lever-Carbine-hero.jpg
H001Y-22Lever-Youth-hero.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

thanks fellas., one question I forgot to ask is do the latest ones have metal sights and barrel bands? The one I handled was older and did not from memory. I did search on google and some comments suggested they went to all metal at some stage?
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

darn I think they are still plastic according to what I can find. I wonder why put plastic sights on a classic gun when even the chinese can put iron sights on their $250 norinco...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine has plastic sights, but they have stood up well so far. As far as everything else, well, I think DPris said it all with his 28,000 round torture test.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I am just griping sorry, for what it is it would be fine youth or farm gun. In this case I need something that can handle some decent knocks , it will be pulled out behind a seat in a hurry and also spend time in the bottom of a boat. Probably too nice a firearm to do that to anyway :)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you want compact you might consider a Skinner peep sight.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

COSteve wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 pm The OP is really on to something I found out some years ago. The fact is that the Henry Youth Model doesn't have a shorter buttstock for the carbine, it has the correct buttstock for the carbine. Henry's standard length buttstock is actually too long for either the rifle or the carbine. Shouldering the carbine with it, the feel is definitely off from it's predecessor, the Winchester Model 1892, that the Rossis more faithfully replicate.

A few pics will demonstrate my point as I decided to replace the stock Rifle length buttstock on my 2009 H001 carbine I got NIB (and customized a bit) with a Youth length buttstock and compared them to both my Rossi M92 rifle and carbine. Here is a picture of my Henry H001 with the stock buttstock. Note that it's actually longer than the rifle length buttstock on my Rossi '92 rifle.

Here is a picture of my Henry H001 with the Youth buttstock. Note that it's now only as long as the carbine length buttstock on my Rossi '92 cabine. It's clear that the Youth model buttstock is actually the correct length for the carbine. The little Henry feels much more natural at the shoulder with the shorter Youth buttstock. I rest my case.

That is an interesting observation and why it shoudlered so well
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Did a shootout between Henry Youth & Browning Micro BL22.
Henry Youth won.
Denis
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

DPris wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:16 pm Did a shootout between Henry Youth & Browning Micro BL22.
Henry Youth won.
Denis
I remember your torture test of a Henry Golden Boy. Do you have a write up on the shootout between the Henry and the Browning?
D. Brian Casady
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

It was published a couple years back, don't recall where among the crowd. :)
Denis
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No matter. I have a Henry H001 that was able to start a young female technician on the road to firearms ownership. I even gifted her one on a birthday, and now her formerly anti-gun mother is happy to have a gun in the house after Maria used her Henry to kill a rattlesnake that was in the chicken coop and threatened her mother when she was gathering eggs. Her mother even forgave me for gifting that rifle to Maria. Maria was old enough to purchase it on her own at the time. No Federal or State of Texas laws were bent or broken. Maria is now a RN. Henry rifles are good to start young people on a life of shooting. Simple, rugged, accurate, and fun to use.
D. Brian Casady
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I've given Henrys to three younger shooters.

The Saturday before Christmas I was invited along on a family outing with two of those kids. One 17 now, one 19 now.
Watching them shoot clay pigeons on a berm with their .22s was a lotta fun.
I was enjoying that so much with spotting & helping that I didn't even fire a shot through my own gun. :)
They love their guns.
Denis
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Are the torture testw chewing through rounds on the range? Just saying being picked up and dropped in a boat or truck most its life is a different test of durability.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The Golden Boy endurance run was 28,000 rounds as fast as I could cycle 'em, spread out among several sessions.
Didn't clean it till 22,000 rounds in.
Didn't clean the barrel at all till after it was over.
Denis
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the front sight on my Henry .22-cal levergun is steel not plastic...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Henry stopped using plastic ten years ago.
Denis
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

im a little confused about these time frames but hopeful. I'll call the LGS or Henry and ask if the youth is all metal sights, would be great news if so.