I thought some of veterans who spent time in the field .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

I thought some of veterans who spent time in the field .....

Post by wm »

I thought some of veterans who spent time in the field would get a chuckle out of this "Charlie Ration Cookbook".

http://www.mcb53.com/pagevietnam/pdfvie ... OXHOLE.pdf

I imagine there is a similar thing for MREs. GI's are nothing if not resourceful.

Wm

P.S. The cartoonist who illustrated this is Fred Rhoads who served in the USMC during WW2 and drew the 'Gismo & Eight Ball' cartoon series for Leatherneck Magazine and also contributed to George Bakers 'Sad Sack" cartoons and post war to Morrt Walkers 'Beetle Bailey'.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I thought some of veterans who spent time in the field .....

Post by jnyork »

I still have mine, complete with unopened bottle of sauce. I drag it out every so often for show-and-tell. IIRC, the McIhenny corporation donated 500,000 of these to the GI's in Vietnam during the war. I dont recall ever seeing them in the cardboard tube with the p38's, etc, mine just came in a little plastic zip baggie.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: I thought some of veterans who spent time in the field .....

Post by piller »

We had MREs when I was in. Meals Refused by Everyone. Meals Reluctant to Excr***. Meals Rejected by Ethiopeans. You get the Idea. We did what we could, but Airborne Light Infantry meant that we jumped out and then walked more than anyone else. We didn't have room or strength for much in the way of extras. After my foot got crushed and I got sent to Korea, we were in HMMWVs and could take a few things along to make the MREs taste almost like food.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost