Err.....Aghh..... UH-OH

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Err.....Aghh..... UH-OH

Post by Pete44ru »

An excellent example of the "F" word.

(to those who are easily upset, the "F" word is FEAR - what were you thinking ?)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Err.....Aghh..... UH-OH

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Pete..just looking at that picture made my underwear a little darker. :D
Model A Uzi’s
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Everyone needs to read Henry Patterson's book on the maneating lions he killed. He is the guy that Val Kilmer played in the movie.

Patterson's son Bryan worked for the Field museum in Chicago where the stuffed lions are displayed. They are said to be a third smaller than in real life due to originally being preserved as rugs.
m.A.g.a. !
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

When a lion has you by the arm, you pet the lion with your other arm.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ray wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 pm They are said to be a third smaller than in real life due to originally being preserved as rugs.
I stopped by the Field Museum on a trip to Chicago a while back. The only thing I wanted to see was the Lions of Tsavo.

They don't look that big in the display case, but then again, they aren't aggressively trying to make a meal of the person who sees them as they are reported to have done in vivo.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

John Henry Patterson 1898:

"There were two bullet holes. One through the heart and one through a rear leg. His length from nose to tail was 9' 8" from and stood 3' 9" high. His skin was much scored by boma thorns. It took 8 men to carry him back to camp. "

"There were no less than six bullet holes. He measured 9' 6" from nose to tail and stood 3 ' 11 1\2" . The skin was much disfigured by boma thorns. "
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't care that they may have shrunk. Any full grown African Lion which wants to eat a human who happens to be in close proximity is dangerous. I want a gun available when I am in their territory. The Tsavo maneaters were more dangerous than most.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Re. tsavo maneaters.....

One theory is that there was a genetic instinctive taste for humans in the carnivores of the area left over from the arab caravans and the discarded sick and lame left to die.

Both lions had dental problems with the first one killed having a broken fang and serious abscess.

Whatever the reason, Patterson wrote that normal precautions such as thick and high bomas and larger than normal bonfires and poisoned baits were worthless against these lions. Once they singled out a victim, nothing seemed to save him.
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My signature line comes to mind when I look at that photo.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

He`s wishing he`d brought his saddle and rode that sucker down.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I read somewhere that a pride of lions do not have a pecking order. Unlike wolves/ dogs there is no Alpha leader. But it still a cat and I have no use for cats!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 am
I read somewhere that a pride of lions do not have a pecking order.

Unlike wolves/ dogs there is no Alpha leader.

But it still a cat and I have no use for cats !

Ah, but they DO have a pecking order - just like many human families, Mama rules the roost, and is the primary hunter.

And again, just like many human families, the male reaps the rewards (and rightly so ;) ).

IMO, many folks dislike felines because they (cats) generally show disdain for humans - and they cannot be herded...…………. :mrgreen:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

They are still the king of beasts in my book, the most magnificent predator on earth save for the sperm whale doing epic battle with giant squid in the black depths of the sea.
If you want a great read involving lions, I can heartily recommend Harry Wolhuter's memoir of being Kruger's first game ranger. He kills a lion with a knife, among other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Memories-Game-Ra ... 0949956287
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 am I read somewhere that a pride of lions do not have a pecking order. Unlike wolves/ dogs there is no Alpha leader. But it still a cat and I have no use for cats!
I've heard that people who hate cats are secretly jealous of their independence and ferocity. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm allergic to them!
Also most times cat people are liberal.
Show me a cat that will jump into a lake in December to retrieve a duck and we'll talk.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:19 pm I'm allergic to them!
Also most times cat people are liberal.
Show me a cat that will jump into a lake in December to retrieve a duck and we'll talk.
That's where the independence comes in. A dog will do that. A cat will look at you a tell you to do it yourself. Cats are smarter than dogs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Having shot quite a few feral moggies with a .22 and seen how hard some of them are to put down, there's no way I'd want to face a lion from a few feet away, even with a 4 bore elephant gun.
I bet if America had cats in the 1700s Daniel Boone would have found a nice moggy skin hat much more comfortable than a coon skin hat :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gundownunder, pretty sure we had cats here from the get-go-- and possibly even on the Mayflower, as cats were welcome mousers aboard sailing ships in the 1600s. They are just too useful guarding grains and food supplies.
This was interesting. I have had cats, but am a confirmed dog person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... c8f71e6985
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:26 am
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 am I read somewhere that a pride of lions do not have a pecking order. Unlike wolves/ dogs there is no Alpha leader. But it still a cat and I have no use for cats!
I've heard that people who hate cats are secretly jealous of their independence and ferocity. :roll:
Always made me wonder why women like cats more than dogs! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Yeh, Bill in Oregon, you are probably right, and I think we've had them here in Oz since the first sailing ships came here.
The problem is, they have now become a huge environmental issue, and are committing wholesale slaughter on our native wildlife.
I Googled feral cat populations here in Oz and over there in the USA and the numbers are staggering. It is estimated that we may have over 6 million feral cats in Australia, and you guys may have as many as 60 million.

There used to be a guy over here some years ago who turned his property into a registered nature reserve, and took great pleasure in shooting any cats he found on his property, which he then turned into cat skin hats, complete with the face at the front and tail down the back. He then proudly wore those hats when he went to town so that the ladies would have something to bitch and moan about. Imagine walking down Main St and finding the pet moggie you lost last week perched on this guys head :lol:

Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like it! Buy that lad a case of Cooper's Ale!