Winchester 71 model identification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
338reddog
Levergunner

Winchester 71 model identification

Post by 338reddog »

I recently bought a win 71. 4 digit serial number. The gun is in good condition, it is a standard grade or ? The fun has a bolt
Peep and a deluxe forend. Someone has drilled holes in the buttstock for deluxe swivel stud. Were bolt peeps on installed on deluxe models?
Jeff
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 71 model identification

Post by WinM71 »

In the early years of the Model 71, either the "sporting rear sight" (the semi-buckhorn dovetailed to the barrel) or the "Winchester rear peep sight No. 98A" (the bolt peep) could be had on the standard version or what we call the "deluxe" version. Oddly, there was no extra charge for the bolt peep despite the extra machining required and the obviously higher cost (to Winchester) of the sight itself. Later, the bolt peep was dropped and a Lyman 56A receiver-mounted peep sight was offered at a higher price than the standard sight. What we now call the "deluxe" was never called that by Winchester. In the early days, it was simply the version offered "with checkering on the stock and forearm, sling, swivels, and pistol grip cap". Later it was sometimes referred to as the "Model 71 Special" in Winchester listings.
Last edited by WinM71 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
338reddog
Levergunner

Post by 338reddog »

I was hoping to narrow down what version I actually have. Hard to say if the stocks were replaced or the deluxe items added. I may remove the butt stock to see if a serial Number is stamped in the stock. Either way Its a nice gun. I have wanted one since I first saw a browning deluxe hanging out and a gun shop in the early 90’s. I didnt even know what it was but I sure liked the profile.
I have a few 94’s a 88 and a 336t. I really like levers and may off a few bolts to add a few more. I want another win 64. I let someone sweet talk me out of really nice one.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello 338,

If you will send me some photos of the rifle and the serial number I can definitively tell you what you have. Include all stamped writing and the sights. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a 1938 model that has checkering on the forearm and grip, sling and swivels but has normal sights.

I later bought a 1937 model that had a bolt peep, even though it had a regular forearm and grip . It also has sling attachments. Unfortunately it had been drilled 4 times on the right(?) Side of the receiver. Must have been done by a lefty.

I took the bolt peep off of it and put it on the other rifle, then sent it on its way.

They came any way someone ordered them. Only way to know how yours left the factory is to letter it. Not sure if they do that for 71s
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello

You can not obtain a “factory letter” from the Cody Firearms museum for any Model 71 rifle. There are no existing production ledgers for the 71’s. The determining factor for checkered stocks is wether or not the rifle was a deluxe or standard grade rifle. To determine if the checkering is factory original or was added to a standard rifle in an attempt to “upgrade” it we will need to see detailed photos.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You may be able to tell if the checkering is original to the wood but not to the rifle.
Lots of things get swapped over 80 years.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might also be pleased to know Starline is going to be making brass for you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
338reddog
Levergunner

Post by 338reddog »

Thanks guys for the info. I am super hapy either way and will inlet a rear swivel block( not sure what its called) the holes are already there and I used one from a friends supergrade to check hole spacing. The rifle is in great condition other wise. As to brass I have about 150 of new and fired combined. I may order a few extra new pieces to have on hand.
Jeff