Chainsaw Carb - Clean or Replace?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Chainsaw Carb - Clean or Replace?

Post by Old No7 »

If this was a lever action rifle, I'd have no troubles taking it apart even if it was a new design for me (once took a Browning BLR apart, and correctly re-timed the rack/pinion and reassembled it OK) -- but I just don't have any experience at taking apart small 2-stroke carbs.

And to be honest, all the small parts on this schematic sorta intimidate me!

Husq Carb 01.jpg

It's from a 22 year old Husqvarna 36 Chainsaw that just won't stay running any longer unless the choke is held open and jiggled. The saw ran great for 21 years with just regular maintenance, and now it has a new plug, air filter and gas filter, as the local shop had replaced those a year ago when I had the same issues. But now it's not running again...

I suspect the fuel line might be original, and will replace that myself. And I have run a "shock treatment" of 50/50 oil & gas and SeaFoam through it, but that didn't do the trick. It still stalls under a load and won't stay running unless you choke it.

Husq Carb 02.jpg

I can get a new aftermarket (Chinese) carb for $15.00 delivered, but I've heard the tuning of those can sometimes be an issue. And I'd kind of like to see if I can clean or fix this original one for myself before I resort to that...

* Do I need to disassemble this carb to clean all the jets, or would a 2-day soak in SeaFoam work?

* Can I count the # of turns on the Idle, High and Low adjustment screws and remove those to get the SeaFoam in deeper?

* Besides replacing the fuel line (see other parts that were replaced above), what else would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chainsaw Carb - Clean or Replace?

Post by GunnyMack »

I would soak it but soak it in a solvent. Sea foam is good stuff but I'd use denatured alcohol or mineral spirits. Shouldn't hurt and seals. Also I would replace the gasket between carb and jug.

Also the ethanol gas on the markets destroys fuel lines, under load the lines get sucked closed . I'd replace them while the carb is soaking.

As for the Chinese carb, I think I'd get a husky carb. Try www.bailysonline.com for parts.

One other thing, use a quality oil, I use Husky oil for my mix. The name brand mix supposedly has a stabilizer in it so no need for adding a stabilizer .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I say take a measured approach. Replace the fuel Lin. If that doesn’t work soak the carb. Still no joy rebuild it (it’s a carb not a nuclear reactor). Lastly install a new carb.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 am I say take a measured approach. Replace the fuel Lin. If that doesn’t work soak the carb. Still no joy rebuild it (it’s a carb not a nuclear reactor). Lastly install a new carb.
Same here....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had good luck pulling carbs off, and simply spraying brake cleaner in the fuel inlet lines with the carb's throttle wide open. Then reinstall and try it again. The brake cleaner and pressure seems to usually blow out grit and obstructions, and most of the time I've tried this it worked great after.
But I'd be sure to put a small inline fuel filter on the chainsaw if it doesn't have one. They are available from most stores that sell lawnmowers and chainsaws, and will ensure it wont happen again later.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The factory carb is like 40 bucks. I’d replace that in the lines and call it good.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

21 years without carb work is impressive. The last carb kit I bought was $10 and they aren't difficult to install. Clean everything with carb cleaner (Berkebile 2+2 Gum Cutter) or brake cleaner thouroghly and wear eye protection. The diaphragms will be bad and the carb won't pump gas peoperly. Focus on the job and with the parts diagram you won't have any trouble.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Old No7
Well, it isn't workin now anyhow so you might as well get into it.

I took apart some kind of HD weedwacker a couple decades ago. Not sure it's the same difficulty as a saw carb... Just cleaned it and put it back together... I might have replaced lines. Anyhow, i put a blade on it and it worked great for lots of thick, tangled bushes.

I enjoy doing that kind of stuff so it really boils down to - if I have the time.
My first child - '94 30-30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tycer wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am The factory carb is like 40 bucks. I’d replace that in the lines and call it good.
Spoken like a man with money to burn. Fuel line is cheap and needs replacing regardless.
Cleaning only takes a bit of time. And, rebuild kits are much less than a new carb.

While not a child of the depression, my parents were. I guess some of it rubbed off on me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are quite simple to work on. My last 13 years ,before retirement, was working for a Stihl saw shop.
Remove the carb and dissasemble and clean it and install a gasket/diafragm kit.just replace the parts in the same configuration as they came apart.thepumping diafragm is probably hard and no longer pumping fuel. Blow out the carbs inlet screen and get back to using it.
Before starting these repairs, make sure you have good compression,low compression/ vacuum and the fuel pump can't work.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Sometimes there's a fine screen in there that gets clogged/gummed up.

And the fuel lines get eaten by ethanol, so if you have a cracked one,
it will let in air, leaning out the mixture, thus needing choke.

Not too bad to rebuild those small carbs. Just take everything apart
in order and lay it all out carefully, (take a picture, too!). "Reassembly is
the reverse of disassembly." :lol:

Good luck! :)

-Stretch
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm
Tycer wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am The factory carb is like 40 bucks. I’d replace that in the lines and call it good.
Spoken like a man with money to burn. Fuel line is cheap and needs replacing regardless.
Cleaning only takes a bit of time. And, rebuild kits are much less than a new carb.

While not a child of the depression, my parents were. I guess some of it rubbed off on me.
Burning money is spending $12.00 on a carb kit and spending an hour to install it, only to end up buying a new carb anyway.
Time is money.
I have no problem rebuilding an older single or dual bbl carb, but those tiny engine carbs have tiny little holes that are tough to see and clean sometimes.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. To judge someone for taking the approach they do is a bit juvenile.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks gang!

I appreciate ALL the replies above -- and the different perspectives are all valid.

That's why I asked too -- to get different ideas... Yes, I could try the cheap and easy route, or go the expensive route, and I do agree that "time is money" too. But that said, as it relates to yet another posting I've done today of a recent family issue/loss -- working on a gun or a carb can help take your mind off of issues and be considered "cheap therapy" too! * And to be honest, I want to gain the experience, and I plan to enjoy the challenge of seeing if I can fix this one or not, before considering a replacement.

... * Certainly much cheaper than a therapist!!!

So... Thanks again for ALL replies above.

And if you disagree with the approach I finally take (which I am not even sure about yet...), well that's OK too; and if so, then I would hope we can all "agree to disagree".

Cheers!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

We have a "small engine" guy here in town... I don't ever attempt this stuff anymore... 'cause sure as shootin', I try rebuilding a 2-stroke carb... I'd be out buyin' the replacement real soon... like before the darned thing ever started again!

I've had him do my chainsaw, a coupla lawnmowers and my 4-stroke generator before I found the trick to keepin' 'em workin' right, from one yearly use to the next... Run 'em outta gas before ya shut 'em off.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm - working on a gun or a carb can help take your mind off of issues and be considered "cheap therapy" too!

... * Certainly much cheaper than a therapist!!!

Old No7
Yep. No need to justify the approach you take to anybody.
I find that, when I have money I don't have time. And when I have time I don't have money. Hard to find that balance and react timely to the tipping of the scale....

Working with your hands, whether building or repairing, is time well spent if you accomplish your goal. Even if that goal is just "staying busy."

On another forum a while back, I asked for information on installing a red dot on my double rifle.
Responses were anywhere from "Don't do it" to "Pay a gunsmith" to "Send it to the manufacturer." :roll:
I found a company in Serbia that had the part I needed and did the smithing myself. Works great.
If you ask where to buy the best steak, people will tell you that you really want a pork chop.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I have rebuilt a lot of carbs over the years Rochester, Holley, Webber, Edelbrock and many others. One thing I've learned 2 stroke carbs are a lot finickier than 4 stroke carbs. You've done good for having that carb running for that many years. Over time the way fuel is metered, and air gets delivered into the tiny ports which are a lot smaller compared to the 4 stroke carbs get bigger thus tuning it becomes a bear! If money is tight and you got the time to rebuild it go for it, what do you have to loose! If you decide to buy a new carb and save the hassle you have to look at the age of the saw regarding the oiler, cylinder head, piston rings etc.etc... If it was me and my time is limited I would go with a new carb, have it gone through by someone, done and done. I would take that Husqi 36, pre-emission saw in a heart beat compared to the junk I see today!

Mainehunter
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I nave worn out more chain saws in 23 years than I can recall, yes I have replaced a lot of carbs if the saw was still
running strong, with what I had found was a rebuild kit was a waste of time & money, go with a new Husky carb & be done with it
May be first I would adjust the hi & lo speed jets a bit to see if that might help, crank er up hold wide open & turn each screw out a bit that may clear it up?

ollogger
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Griff wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm We have a "small engine" guy here in town... I don't ever attempt this stuff anymore... 'cause sure as shootin', I try rebuilding a 2-stroke carb... I'd be out buyin' the replacement real soon... like before the darned thing ever started again!

I've had him do my chainsaw, a coupla lawnmowers and my 4-stroke generator before I found the trick to keepin' 'em workin' right, from one yearly use to the next... Run 'em outta gas before ya shut 'em off.
+1 i always run my 4 stroke generator out of gas when not using. Yep carbs will gum up from sitting and etahnol eats at rubber components. gas station by me now sells ethanol free high test gas. bit more money but worth it. ethanol is what screwed up my fuel/oil mix pump on my outboard. 650 bucks to get that replaced. all my two strokes and lawnmowers now get ethanol free gas with gas treatment added.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

rossim92 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 pm
Griff wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm We have a "small engine" guy here in town... I don't ever attempt this stuff anymore... 'cause sure as shootin', I try rebuilding a 2-stroke carb... I'd be out buyin' the replacement real soon... like before the darned thing ever started again!

+1 i always run my 4 stroke generator out of gas when not using. Yep carbs will gum up from sitting and etahnol eats at rubber components. gas station by me now sells ethanol free high test gas. bit more money but worth it. ethanol is what screwed up my fuel/oil mix pump on my outboard. 650 bucks to get that replaced. all my two strokes and lawnmowers now get ethanol free gas with gas treatment added.
I try to avoid running 2 or 4 stroke engines dry for the problem I see is dried out O-rings or gaskets especially if it's been running with ethanol. If it's running with ethanol free fuel that's a different story. I have a gas Miller generator/welder that I try to use it as often as I can not only to refresh the fuel in the carb but also to make sure the brushes aren’t sticking in the commutator which they have a tendency of doing and I do it with a heavy load like welding or hooking up to my house. As of late I've been using it a lot but it can sit for 3 to 5 months not doing anything.
Old no1
Levergunner

Post by Old no1 »

If you use this saw once a year or so to cut up a downed limb then I would say yes to try to repair it. But if you rely on this saw to help heat your home (like I do) or take care of farm/ranch duties then I would maybe look at a new saw. 22 years is a good life for a chainsaw.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Back when I was overseeing a fleet of vehicles (trucks, cars, tractors, fork lifts, snow blowers, etc) at work I had good luck soaking carbs and other parts in ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid …… not the deer camp essentials of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) . I used to have a small vibrating table top that I would sit a sealed tote with ATF and carbs over night. Next day I would repeat for an hour in another sealed tote with gasoline. Let dry and they seemed to work great. ATF seemed to rejuvenate seals.

I've used the same method with cosomline and rust encrsuted firearms with good success. Just sayin'

Wm.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Time is money to me. So is quality cleaner. Almost $30 for a gallon of gunk. I have a still sevicable gallon and yet the time spent carefully cleaning each tiny orifice and cleaning me and my clothes after makes a new carb and lines easier. Yes, changing the lines first sounds like it might be all that’s needed. Ethanol degradation and gelling is the bain of all small engines. When I havetime to burn someday I’ll go back to wrenching my own tools again. My local husky shop will put the new carb and lines on for the exact same price I can buy a factory carb and lines online. Just had husky blower and one weedeater done this summer. My big chainsaw is a Solo and is scrap if it breaks. Parts only available in the EU and expensive as all
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

My friend worked/mechanic at a large John Deere dealer. All brands of tractors, chain saws, etc. has been a mechanic since we graduated high school In ‘63. He even went to school for it.
Only way they would go into a carb was to dissemble carb and put into the sonic cleaner for an hour or two. Gets all of the white death as he called it from all the super small oriffaces. Almost allways worked. Much better than wire thru the openings. If it did not work then replace the carb on the saws, lawn mowers and fillers and such.
Two or four stroke engines.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Anymore, after 40 years of fixing stuff, if it is under say..$300 and it goes bad, I wing it and buy a new one. Around here, they charge $60 just to look at it so I'll do the "normals"...plugs, cleaning etc....

Every small engine around here...probably six or so.........gets started up and run once a month or so...always with stabilizer.

What I do now is get a 4 year warranty that covers fixing or replacement....after that I'll just buy a new one if it goes bad.

I've seen so many guys who think nothing of buying a $50,000 pick up then scramble for money when little things in their life go bad. (Hey 6, can you fix my magazine tube on my Marlin, the gunsmith wants $80 to do it)-----Count Sixula
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In the mid 80's when Homelite built a good saw I bought a 410 with a 20" bar, ran like a clock for 30 years, I never touched the carb. had it repaired once in 20 16 (the dealer sold them for years) and said parts were hard to find. about a year later it wouldn't run right. it now sit's on the shelf and I bought a new saw.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A local occupational center has a small engine repair course. They love donations of things like chainsaws for the students to rebuild. Talking to one of the instructors I found out that many just need a good cleaning, tuneup and sharpening.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"