John Browning on the History Channel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

John Browning on the History Channel

Post by Rusty »

I don't have cable so this is the first time I've seen this. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PdlxerEq70
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: John Browning on the History Channel

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for posting this Rusty, I'm off to work soon but will watch it this afternoon. :D :D :D .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Show !! Thanks Again. :D .
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Visited the Browning Museum again last week with son-in-law.
Hurts to leave that place empty-handed. :)
Denis
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

DPris wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:26 pm Visited the Browning Museum again last week with son-in-law.
Hurts to leave that place empty-handed. :)
Denis
did they have any demos you could try out? :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Naw, and they're so unfriendly to visitors they insist on having a guy stationed at the desk so we couldn't even bust any glass for.....closer examination.... :D
Denis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man.....that's good....thanks Rusty!......only got to watch the first 15 minutes due to animal problems. Will finish tonight.

As a young man, in my late teens and early twenties, there were guns that I read about and was determined to own. You know, I HAVE to have one of those one day. Some guns are so so and are OK...but some guns, you REALLY want them.

Fast forward to being 64....yea, I got em now and what's interesting is that with the exception of single action Colts and some pre war Smiths, the guns I have love affairs with are all designed by "The Master", JMB.-----------Count Sixula.
Model A Uzi’s
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Browning "kids" here:
1951 Model 94
Rossi 92
Rossi 92 Mare's Leg
Chiappa 92 Mare's Leg (2)
1918 1911 Colt
Commercial 1911 (3)
Hi-Power (2)

He's well-represented here.
Denis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The History channel was stupid to end this series. Tales of the Gun was an excellent series, and the Browning story was one of their best shows.
I always chuckle at Browning's agreement with TG Bennett to make the 1892 Winchester. The way he struck the deal, and then simply downsized his 1886 to design the 1892 was great! Betting Bennett was really ticked off that he had to pay Browning the extra money for something his in house designers could have easily figured out if they'd simply thought about reducing and slightly modifying the 1886 design.
And I always wonder how much regret Winchester had when they refused to pay royalties for the Browning semiauto shotgun, and lost him completely? Imagine all the designs Browning created after his split with Winchester, and what a dominant company Winchester could have been if they'd continued the relationship. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am The History channel was stupid to end this series. Tales of the Gun was an excellent series, and the Browning story was one of their best shows.
I always chuckle at Browning's agreement with TG Bennett to make the 1892 Winchester. The way he struck the deal, and then simply downsized his 1886 to design the 1892 was great! Betting Bennett was really ticked off that he had to pay Browning the extra money for something his in house designers could have easily figured out if they'd simply thought about reducing and slightly modifying the 1886 design.
And I always wonder how much regret Winchester had when they refused to pay royalties for the Browning semiauto shotgun, and lost him completely? Imagine all the designs Browning created after his split with Winchester, and what a dominant company Winchester could have been if they'd continued the relationship. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
Marlinman,
Your words have echoed my thoughts over the years. What do they say.."hindsight is 20-20".....maybe JMB knew this ...about scaling down the 86.......and thought to himself, I've got to get this done in 30 days before those saps put 2 and 2 together.....

For those who have been to the Winchester museum in Cody, JMB prototype 1892 is there. I've got pictures somewhere.---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun,
It kinda makes me chuckle because it smacks of the mentality of some big corporate leader like Bennett. Sitting in his office and totally out of touch with the workers in the factory. He wants to lead or be a control freak, so he takes the lead and contacts JMB and tells him what he wants; how fast he wants it; and what he'll pay. Of course as you mentioned, JMB is sitting in his shop in Ogden laughing, and knowing exactly how to deliver on the job, and how long it will take him to hammer out the prototype. Considering how quickly he had it done, he might even have been working on the answer before the request even came in!
Just hilarious, and I'd bet Bennett knew he'd been had as soon as he heard the prototype was ready to ship. Browning wasn't just a firearms genius, he was one heck of a smart businessman. Probably much better than Bennett.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 amThe History channel was stupid to end this series. Tales of the Gun was an excellent series, and the Browning story was one of their best shows.
Exactly right!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!