Two deer downed in one morning by 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Two deer downed in one morning by 30-30

Post by t.r. »

Earlier this month I hunted with family in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. It was a good morning for me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Two deer downed in one morning by 30-30

Post by Griff »

Image The only question is... one bullet or two? :P :mrgreen: :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That little close range medium varmint cartridge !

Excellent 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cant complain about that!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

The young buck walked by spot where I was sitting on the ground partially hidden by laurels. Shot distance was about 30 yards. Later on, we formed a couple deer drives and I shot this doe as it bounded past my post. Distance was about 45 yards. I really like the penetration and performance of 170 grain Power Point ammo.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff, one bullet, two deer- actually!

Some years ago in Comanche County.
Meat hunting just below a rim rock for whitetail doe with .308 and I saw one slip up even with me partly shielded by a cedar tree. Hardly 20 yards away, so I shot it and two fell down in the little clump of trees- both shot through the chest.

This was back before the mobile phone camera, so almost all hunts went undocumented. Besides, who takes pix of does?
:wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I shot 2 bucks at once years ago while bow hunting, thru lungs on first deer and the arrow stuck the other in hind quarters cutting the femoral artery. OOPS that wasnt legal, buddy had to tag the 2nd deer.
Then I shot another double couple years ago with my excalibur crossbow.

Worst part is having to drag 2 at a time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm Worst part is having to drag 2 at a time!
Drag ? I can get the ATV within about 25 yards of any place on our property . And my neighbors gave me the green light years ago for ATV retrieval of any that got off my property and were leaking blood .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

crs wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:43 pm Besides, who takes pix of does?
:wink:
Go look on the Parker Collectors forum I’ve got a picture of a doe I plunked this year with my newest to me Parker EH shooting my home cast handloaded 0000 Buck 8) oh what the heck , here it is .
3F5FC2B2-40A0-4DCB-93A5-FD5C186D9A31.jpeg
And here are a pair that got knocked over last week with a new to me this season Benelli Montefeltro 12 3” shooting factory #1 Buck .
4D9B8F40-627D-459E-B851-E7EFE9F1D402.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Atv's are great where ya can use them. Back when I killed those 2 bucks the Honda 3 wheeler was a brand new critter. Nowadays depending on where I'm at I can either drive the truck or a utv right to a deer except for 1 property, usually too wet and not much in the way of trails for atvs.

My Benelli lokes federal 3" 00 through a Carlson extended range choke tube. 1 buck is good but not as tight as 00
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mifflin county? Used to have a camp just past Lewistown right before Potters Mills on 322.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 pm Mifflin county? Used to have a camp just past Lewistown right before Potters Mills on 322.---6
All my deer efforts in PA were in Wayne , Monroe and Pike counties . My buddy that lives in Buffalo Wyoming now used to live in Doylestown and had an old 40’s cabin. Close to Newfoundland .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 pm
My Benelli lokes federal 3" 00 through a Carlson extended range choke tube. 1 buck is good but not as tight as 00
I bought three chokes for the Benelli all made for buck . The Carlson you mention , the Tru-Loc and the Patternmaster . I was using the Patternmaster on the two slicks , it throws a pretty decent pattern with #1 out to 50 yards . Also pretty good with 00 and 000 , and the Carlson did very well with the 00 and 000 . At some point I think I’ll add a Kicks Buckbuster or whatever it is they call their Buckshot choke . I’ve not tried Federal 3” factory just REM and WIN so far . Hopefully this winter or spring I’ll try loading some 3” stuff on my MEC Steelmaster .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The choke I have is NOT a wad lock choke. I use the Federal premium without the pattern control wad, just buffered.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:39 am The choke I have is NOT a wad lock choke. I use the Federal premium without the pattern control wad, just buffered.
I dunno if what I have are wadlock or not they’re just what each manufacturer claims is their best for Buckshot . To date the Patternmaster has pleased me the most with the Carlson aclose second . I’ve also heard some great things about the “Kick’s” but have yet to order one . But eventually I will . To be honest I find it much more satisfying to kill with one of my old doubles shooting home cast slugs or Buckshot . But the Benelli showed up and offered me a way to dispose of my AR 450 BM and make a couple bucks so I did it , but in hindsight all I made on the deal was spent on the three Buckshot chokes I ordered . :roll: The Kicks come in three constrictions supposedly for buck , but at the moment they only have “ light full “ http://www.kicks-ind.com/product/BKBenMC12g.html