H&R .22 pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

H&R .22 pistol

Post by marlinman93 »

I recently purchased this little H&R just because it was in such nice condition.

Had no idea what it was, or how old it was, but the price seemed fair. It belonged to a friend I worked with over 40 years ago, and he was given this pistol because he helped a neighbor lady numerous times, and never charged her for his time. She told him it was her late husband's, and she didn't want or need it around. He has been divesting himself of a bunch of guns, and has no heirs to pass them along too, so we agreed on a price.
Got it home and began doing some research on it, and discovered it's from around 1932. It is marked ".22 SPECIAL" on one side of the barrel, and ".22 Long Rifle Ctg." on the other. It's a 9 shot .22RF, with top break, and automatic extractor. The info I found said that H&R was transitioning from the ".22 SPECIAL" model to the 944 Model in this time frame. SO this gun has the 944 grips, but still the earlier barrel marking.
The holster is a flap style, and in very good condition. Doesn't seem to have seen much use.

The little brass stud is purely decorative, and serves no other function. The holster has some tooling, but just a border. The cool part is the markings on the back side! There's an oval with the mark, "Browning Bros. Co. Ogden, Ut." inside the oval! The 4 Browning brothers included John Browning, and ran their shop in Ogden for many decades! These Browning marked holsters weren't made in their shop, but were made by another famous saddlery and holster maker. H.H. Heiser! Heiser was the largest leather company in the world at one point, and located in Denver, Co. Their holsters are highly desirable, and those built for Browning are too!
Pretty happy with the little H&R, and although it's not in my area of collecting single shot rifles, and S&W pistols; it still will fit in here just fine.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Re: H&R .22 pistol

Post by 1894c »

That is a very nice .22-cal pistol and holster, and the history is very cool too...I like the looks of it, and I've always like H&R revolvers and shotguns. My first shotgun was a H&R 12-gauge with a modified choke... :)
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I know my dad had one or two just like it in the 1940`s/1950`s. H&R Sportsman or also the 922m, I think.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am buying a similar model from the local gun store. It comes with speed loaders and is single action, saller grips. Previous owner says it is from the same period.

I think mine may be the Sportsman. It is like this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That looks like a great snag. When I had my FFL years ago my nephew wanted me to get a top break H&R for him. When it came in I checked it over a bit and remember thinking at the time, if these things had good triggers on them they could sell a million of them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Now you can get into a shootout with Doc (A.J./ AJMD429) & his H&R 999 Sportsman, Vall. :mrgreen:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm I am buying a similar model from the local gun store. It comes with speed loaders and is single action, saller grips. Previous owner says it is from the same period.

Is the Sportsman a 9 shot? Never seen any .22 speed loaders, or 9 shot .22 speed loaders? I believe the Sportsmans were much later, but similar. They have that pear shaped barrel that I always thought was a nice looking shape.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Booger Bill wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm I know my dad had one or two just like it in the 1940`s/1950`s. H&R Sportsman or also the 922m, I think.
The 922 was the cheapened version of the H&R lineup. Same similar gun, with a lower polished frame and a round barrel. The .22 SPECIAL, 944, and 999 were more deluxe versions with high polish blue and heavier barrels, or ribbed barrels.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Boy I sure would like to have that. Congratulations on aquirering it 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

mm93, it is a nine shot and so are the loaders. I believe the model was manufactured 1932-36. It is high polish blue and in perfect shape. Very high quality of manufacture. Elevation is on the rear sight, windage on the front.

The gun shop has it labeled Sportsman.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the looks of it. Hopefully it works great for you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 pm I recently purchased this little H&R just because it was in such nice condition.
Got it home and began doing some research on it, and discovered it's from around 1932. It is marked ".22 SPECIAL" on one side of the barrel, and ".22 Long Rifle Ctg." on the other. It's a 9 shot .22RF, with top break, and automatic extractor. The info I found said that H&R was transitioning from the ".22 SPECIAL" model to the 944 Model in this time frame. SO this gun has the 944 grips, but still the earlier barrel marking.
Nice one!

Especially in that condition and with the unique holster to go with it.

One thing to keep in mind is to always lift the top latch when opening or closing the top-break, as slamming them closed (like some folks do) will cause wear in the lockup.

Below is all the info I have on the "H&R 22 Special" -- enjoy!

This info came directly from the late Bill Goforth who wrote THE book on Harrington & Richarson firearms:

H&R "22 SPECIAL" - 1925-1941 (MODEL 944)
The H&R "22 SPECIAL" model was first catalogued circa 1926. The 1st Variation (1926-28) was chambered for 7 shot .22 rimfire (long rifle, long and short) and had the same frame and upper works as the H&R "AUTO EJECTING" model from that era and was equipped with two piece walnut grip panels with a hump at the top ("saw handle").

In late 1928 - 29, the chambering was changed to 9 x .22lr and also 7 x .22 Winchester Rim Fire. This is the 2nd Variation. NOTE: the .22 WRF chambering is extremely scarce - some experts have estimated that only around 200 pieces were made with this chambering.
In 1930, the grip panels were changed to rounded top/no hump checkered walnut and this is considered the 3rd Variation (1931- 32).
In 1933, the grip frame was changed to the "RICE" type, with a bird's head shaped grip frame and one piece monogrip - attached to the frame by one bolt through the rear of the grip screwing into the now covered back strap. The cylinder now came equipped with a raised rim around the back face - the "H&R SAFETY RIM. This is considered the 4th Variation (1933 - 1938).

The 5th Variation (1939 - 1940?) There is the possibility of a 6th Variation with some other changes internally. Markings on the barrel were pretty much consistent, except when the .22 WRF chambering was introduced - the right side was stamped either: ".22 LONG RIFLE CTG" or ".22 W.R.F. CTG". The rear cylinder face for the 7 shot .22 WRF will be marked with a W.R.F. stamp, along with the last three digits of the s/n.

And some H&R info and ads:

( click on any image to enlarge it )
H&R 22 Special Ad 01.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 02.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 03.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 04.jpg

If you ever need to disassemble it, PM me for help, as I've rebuilt a number of old H&Rs over the years.

........Guess you could say that I like the 'ol H&R revolvers,eh?! :wink:

H&R Collection 11-2017.jpg

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I recall in the late 1940`s my dad trading one for a 1936 chev! Thinking about it now, I am sure that's the first handgun I ever fired! Also that 36 chev is what I learned to drive in!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm Boy I sure would like to have that. Congratulations on aquirering it 8)

N.
Nath, you took the words right out of my mouth, always wanted a 999 in the old days before we couldn't be trusted with them... :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:39 pm
Nath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm Boy I sure would like to have that. Congratulations on aquirering it 8)

N.
Nath, you took the words right out of my mouth, always wanted a 999 in the old days before we couldn't be trusted with them... :evil:
John, I'd trust you with an 818181 (9 times a "999")... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Darryl, I've always had a hankering for Top Breaks, a few weeks ago I got to shoot a Enfield .38S&W with a .22 conversion, it was quite accurate but what surprised me was how smooth the double action pull was, it was a "Tanker" type revolver with no hammer spur. Pity my local dealer can't sell it to me... :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:05 am
Old Savage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm I am buying a similar model from the local gun store. It comes with speed loaders and is single action, saller grips. Previous owner says it is from the same period.

Is the Sportsman a 9 shot? Never seen any .22 speed loaders, or 9 shot .22 speed loaders? I believe the Sportsmans were much later, but similar. They have that pear shaped barrel that I always thought was a nice looking shape.
Someone made a speed loader for the 999. I've got a few around somewhere. I'll try and dig one out and find out who it was.

Found one in my desk drawer (what the heck is that doing there). HKS is the maker. Don't know if they still make them or not.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Old No7,

By chance I just got that book lent to me yesterday by a friend. He said he didn't know why he bought the book as he's never owned an H&R? But I'm reading through that same section you posted, and have copied off the pages relating to this gun.
Thanks!

Jeepnik,
Thanks for the info! Figured if someone made a speedloader, it would likely be HKS. Probably wont look for one, as I don't see myself needing to speed load it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My mom bought me a H&R Sportsman for my b-day back in the late 90s. Sweet revolver other than the sharp groves on the trigger.
I won a copy of Keith's "Hell I Was There" with it once.

Old No 7, mine is an early one with no transfer bar. Did they ever make a smooth trigger that would fit them?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 pm I recently purchased this little H&R just because it was in such nice condition.
Nice one!

Especially in that condition and with the unique holster to go with it.

One thing to keep in mind is to always lift the top latch when opening or closing the top-break, as slamming them closed (like some folks do) will cause wear in the lockup.

Below is all the info I have on the "H&R 22 Special" -- enjoy!

This info came directly from the late Bill Goforth who wrote THE book on Harrington & Richarson firearms:

H&R "22 SPECIAL" - 1925-1941 (MODEL 944)
The H&R "22 SPECIAL" model was first catalogued circa 1926. The 1st Variation (1926-28) was chambered for 7 shot .22 rimfire (long rifle, long and short) and had the same frame and upper works as the H&R "AUTO EJECTING" model from that era and was equipped with two piece walnut grip panels with a hump at the top ("saw handle").

In late 1928 - 29, the chambering was changed to 9 x .22lr and also 7 x .22 Winchester Rim Fire. This is the 2nd Variation. NOTE: the .22 WRF chambering is extremely scarce - some experts have estimated that only around 200 pieces were made with this chambering.
In 1930, the grip panels were changed to rounded top/no hump checkered walnut and this is considered the 3rd Variation (1931- 32).
In 1933, the grip frame was changed to the "RICE" type, with a bird's head shaped grip frame and one piece monogrip - attached to the frame by one bolt through the rear of the grip screwing into the now covered back strap. The cylinder now came equipped with a raised rim around the back face - the "H&R SAFETY RIM. This is considered the 4th Variation (1933 - 1938).

The 5th Variation (1939 - 1940?) There is the possibility of a 6th Variation with some other changes internally. Markings on the barrel were pretty much consistent, except when the .22 WRF chambering was introduced - the right side was stamped either: ".22 LONG RIFLE CTG" or ".22 W.R.F. CTG". The rear cylinder face for the 7 shot .22 WRF will be marked with a W.R.F. stamp, along with the last three digits of the s/n.

And some H&R info and ads:

( click on any image to enlarge it )
H&R 22 Special Ad 01.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 02.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 03.jpg

H&R 22 Special Ad 04.jpg

If you ever need to disassemble it, PM me for help, as I've rebuilt a number of old H&Rs over the years.

........Guess you could say that I like the 'ol H&R revolvers,eh?! :wink:

H&R Collection 11-2017.jpg

Tight groups.

Old No7
As soon as I saw this post, I knew you'd be on it! :D :D :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

One of my favorite pistols.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper