Question about intercessory prayer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Question about intercessory prayer

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We often have requests for prayers here; I have asked for this blessing myself a time or two. What do you pray for when asked to pray for someone else who is in a precarious position -- usually involving health?
I pray that it be God's will that healing occurs, but I also pray that if healing is not God's will, that the one we are lifting up be granted peace, love, forgiveness and grace upon "going home," and that the family and friends know in their hearts that their loved crossed into loving arms. My thought is that God's will is inscrutable, and that if I only pray for healing, death means my prayer didn't "work," as God is constantly calling us home.
I'd like to hear others' thought on this? Pastor Jim, you out there?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question about intercessory prayer

Post by Booger Bill »

That's well put.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Interesting post Bill...

I'll be watching the responses... As I'm very close to issuing a similar request on behalf of my elderly mother...

In my prayers, I usually ask for God's "Goodness and Grace" which could be healing (preferred), if that is His Will; or if it's not healing, then at least that the passing be peaceful and without any undue pain or suffering for the person involved (and the family too).

Watching my Mom's struggles now -- versus the Lab we put down in May -- I remain convinced that "We are kinder to our animals"..................

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I believe you are 100% right Bill. In prayer for another person we just petition/ask God that His will be done and there is no pain and sorrow, and thank Him for His decision. For a believer, death is not to be feared and the main pain for one's passing is with the family. My wife's grandson died in a boating accident earlier this month and after the initial pain of the loss, our loss, we have a confidence that all is well...

I'm not a good preacher, just sharing my faith in God...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Snip: ".........Thy will be done, On Earth, as it is in Heaven...."
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with praying for healing, it is perfectly a normal, worthy, admirable and "Christian" thing to do. God wants us to bring out petitions to him. God always answers prayers. Keep in mind though he does not alway answer in the way we were hoping or expecting. Some people he heals by restoring them to their normal or healthy condition. Other people are healed by him taking them to be with them. In either case it is also good to ask for God's reassurance, peace and comfort to the sick person and their families or loved ones.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

God has a personal name, Jehovah. God is His title only.

When Jehovah's purpose for mankind was lost by an ambitious angle betraying God and deceiving Adam and Eve into believing Jehovah was holding something back from them Jehovah made it clear that he would correct the situation.
Genesis 3:15 in the later part says ; He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”
Satan struck Jesus in the heel by having him killed. This though was neccersary. Adam lost perfect human life through sin or put differently, going against Jehovah's only law given by mouth to them.
Jesus on the other hand died faithful to the last breath a perfect man never needing to die, feel ill or age. That was important as Satan challenged Jehovah in implying man would always forfeit Him. We read in Job1:9&10 ; At that Satan answered Jehovah: “Is it for nothing that Job has feared God? 10 Have you not put up a protective hedge around him and his house and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his livestock has spread out in the land."
Satan even tries to get God himself to curse Job but He does not fall for the trick!
Hence, Satan was proven a lier again! Jesus did not forefiet his Father.

Jesus's words in the Lord's prayer where he gave us a model prayer, the part that says "Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth. (Mathew 6:10). We can deduce that the earth is to be restored to an order as that in heaven. This can't of happened yet by obvious world events!
Jesus whilst on earth performed resurrections demonstrating his God given powers of restoring life and death having no power over him.
Revelations 21:3&4 says; With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
From this we can see that the theme at the beginning of the Bible is the same as at the end of the Bible! That God, Jehovah has not changed his purpose for earth and mankind, also is going to restore it to his original purpose and vindicate himself via his loyal Son in the process by " crushing" Satan in his head!
Jesus said at John5:28&29; Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.
This is a future event on earth!
Not all go to heaven!
Revelation chapter 7 speaks of slaves for God being selected for Him and the number of those "sealed" is 144,000. Chapter 7 also makes a distinction by refering to a "great crowd" that owe their salvation to God and the Lamb after coming through a great tribulation! Two sets of people's.

So, when I pray for someone here or elsewhere, what ever the outcome is in this troubled life, my hope is that they are remembered by God and reinstated on a renewed earth with Christ as king and the "former things have passed away".

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Just depends on the reason for prayer, I have prayed for healing. Most of the time I pray for God's will for the person and the family.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I always pray for Gods will to be done and if I don't know if a person has accepted Christ has their savior that he would draw them to himself. I know the Lord has not always answered my prayers the way I would of liked but I am his property, I was bought with a high price of Christs blood so his will be done and Glory to God. The scriptures say we see things has through a clouded mirror but the day is approaching when all things will be clear.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Deep subject Bill, i know one thing for sure if ya don`t believe and pray it can`t work. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My friends, I thank you for all your replies. Nath, praying that the dead are "remembered by God" is a beautiful way of putting it.
It just strikes me that always praying for healing and miracles points up our own feeble grasp of God's purposes and will, not that He does not heal and want to heal!
I have prayed for my dying mother, father, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and so often, looking back, it seems I am really praying for God to delay the inevitable, mostly for my benefit, to spare me the grief.
Upon pondering this -- and having been near the peaceful release of death in a hospital once -- I tend to ask for healing, but put equal emphasis on praying that the one I am praying for peacefully approaches God's loving embrace. I have come to believe that may be more important than a healing, although healing is so desperately wished for with a young one.
Again, I so appreciate the responses to this thread and ask God's blessing on you all this holy season.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Another favourite scripture of mine is Philippians 4, 6&7.

Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill. Praying for the dying being for them or ourselves is not selfish.
It is natural to not want to die, or even suffer the loss of someone. Why, if it was natural and God's purpose would we not be use to it by now? If it was God's purpose would he of not made it feel normal?

Let's look at the account of Lazarus.
It says at John 11:32 When Mary arrived where Jesus was and caught sight of him, she fell at his feet and said to him: “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
Mary meets Jesus whilst he is traveling to his now dead friend and expressed her deep faith that Jesus could of healed him if he was there. Jesus does not correct Mary and instruct her that God has called Lazarus! No he weeps with the family and then goes on to resurrect him. If all were meant for heaven why bring him back! Why weep? Why not celebrate?
The fact is that Jesus knew Lazarus was not only ill but had died, he explains to his disciples before they got to where Lazarus lived in verse 14 of John 11, 'Then Jesus said to them plainly: “Lazʹa·rus has died,".

Jesus used Lazarus to demonstrate what the future holds for many here on earth. Look what Jesus says in verses 23-27 of John 11 to Martha.
Jesus said to her: “Your brother will rise.” 24 Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life; 26 and everyone who is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him: “Yes, Lord, I have believed that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one coming into the world.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

As I have gotten older I have come to believe the greatest blessings are to feel at peace and a sense of security. That is what I often pray for is that God envelope someone with his love to give them a sense of peace and security.

Wm
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Bill,
Keep praying as you have been. There is a verse that says when we ask amiss the Holy Spirit lets the Father know our requests with groanings that cannot be uttered. I take this to mean when we ask and we ask not in accordance with the will of God, the Holy Spirit informs the Father in terms that are in accordance with His will and our requests are presented within the terms that God is able to answer.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 'rules'

1. I never pray for myself. Maybe that I can find the best path, but not to make my path easy. That seems selfish.
2. I almost* always pray that the outcome of a situation is what will in the end be the best for all involved, rather than that 'my' desired outcome will prevail.
3. I always pray that those affected will be supported as they deal with whatever is going on (and try to support them myself if applicable/able).

* I did pray that my sister's breast cancer would be cured (and it was), and I did pray that Trump would get elected (and he was). So far I'm 2 for 2... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 pm My 'rules'

1. I never pray for myself. Maybe that I can find the best path, but not to make my path easy. That seems selfish.
2. I almost* always pray that the outcome of a situation is what will in the end be the best for all involved, rather than that 'my' desired outcome will prevail.
3. I always pray that those affected will be supported as they deal with whatever is going on (and try to support them myself if applicable/able).

* I did pray that my sister's breast cancer would be cured (and it was), and I did pray that Trump would get elected (and he was). So far I'm 2 for 2... :D
Our rules overlap 100%...