S&W SD9VE ...... review for those who care

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

S&W SD9VE ...... review for those who care

Post by wm »

I say for those who care because I can imagine this particular firearm perhaps not having a lot of fans here. First of all its not pretty, its low end, its polymer, its not anything in particular.

But …… its absolutely reliable. Goes bang each and every time no matter what its fed. Its consistent if not spectacularly accurate. Group size hovers around 2" or little less at 50' but surprisingly point of impact never shifts. 115, 124, 147 grain bullets, FMJ, JHP, LRN, plated all hit in more less the same spot. Maybe a 1/4" variation from 12 to 6 o'clock according to bullet weight.

I bought this pistol used. I'm the third owner, I know and work with the other two. The first owner went on to upgrade to Springfield Armory XDs and now is a Glock guy. The second owner bought it and struggled with the trigger, his temper, and his money. Frankly I bought it from him because of the 2nd reason more then any other. I know this is occasionally misconstrued but frankly some people should not own firearms and he is one of those IMO.

The trigger pull is heavy, similar to but not as bad as, Glocks dreaded NY trigger IMO. But the sights are alright and it points naturally and magazines are inexpensive.

So......now what? It isn't a pistol that a guys gonna get emotionally attached to. It is just a pistol that is too good to give up on, so it just hangs around. Well I think I'm going to make this a project just because I can. Among my plans is to make it a 'system'. First thing I'm going to order a adapter for the dust shield so I can attach a light and maybe a laser. Next APEX makes a replacemetn trigger. It is not match grade but is said to be a noticeable improvement. Then I am going to replace the sights with some night sights. S&W M&P nights sights fit the dovetail so that should be an easy swap.

Other potential plans include buying a another slide and having that machined out to take a red dot sight. Everyone says what difference these make so I may try it.

Also on GunBroker I see lots of SD40VE parts kits (everything but the frame) from police demil of confiscated firearms. I may add a 40 S&W slide, barrel, recoil spring, and magazines to the 'system' just to make it a bit more versatile. Prices for such seem to vary from $40 to $80. I've been told there were also SDVE pistols in 357 Sig & that might be an interesting thing to pursue but I think they are pretty rare. I don't think I will encounter a cheap parts kit for that anytime soon.

Why should you care? You probably shouldn't. Its frankly an overly ambitious project for a pedistrian 'duty' quality handgun. But if you were looking for a 'stash gun' for your cabin, boat, vehicle, out building, etc. I would say this fits the role very well. Parts and magazines are dirt cheap. And used examples on GunBroker sell DAILY for under $200. I bet pawn shops and gun shops around this country likewise have them for under $200. Heck I've seen them advertised brand new for well under $300 and occasionally under $250.

Wm
1894c

Re: S&W SD9VE ...... review for those who care

Post by 1894c »

I CARE, well kind-of...it's a tool, it's a handgun that runs, it works, it's made by a good company and I have a buddy who has had one forever. Thanks for sharing... :)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If it can be depended on, you have something right there.
I usually take a different approach with guns like this.
I put nothing into them. Leave them as is and invest only ammo.
Usually fills "rough duty" roles. Truck guns, foul weather, etc.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I have never had the chance to shoot one but have fondled a few of the SD's and found they really fit my hand nice, much better than most higher priced alternatives. I think one or two would be great guns to keep around the house, if they were ever used in a self defense situation there's a good chance you won't get them back or if you do it may be years and or they may have evidence numbers engraved into the frame. Might as well be on something your not really attached to. For working outdoors doing strenuous activities it's never bad to have a lightweight dependable gun that if it gets filthy, scratched or wet your not going to loose sleep over it. Last year I bought a Taurus PT111 G2 Millennium in 9mm off a gal who decided she didn't want a gun in the house, it's very light, comfortable, small and very accurate once you learn the trigger, I've put just 600 rounds through it so far without a hick-up, kind of shows me that sometimes things don't have to cost a arm and a leg to be quality guns.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WM: When I worked post-retirement at Sportsman's Warehouse, I sold a lot of those simple Smiths to guys who just wanted a utilitarian sidearm. They were popular with bowhunters because you could get into such reliable protection so reasonably.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I love tinkering. But before you proceed, you might want to check out the S&W Forum, where it quickly becomes apparent that many of the "enhancements" offered can turn a perfectly good sow's ear in to not a silk purse but something that came out of a sow's rear-end.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 am I love tinkering. But before you proceed, you might want to check out the S&W Forum, where it quickly becomes apparent that many of the "enhancements" offered can turn a perfectly good sow's ear in to not a silk purse but something that came out of a sow's rear-end.
OUCH...unfortunately that can be very true... :O
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They work and are very reliable. Triggers were heavy but usually dropped down to 9-11lbs after a couple boxes of ammo. There was a fairly inexpensive kit that worked real well in reducing the pull. I found a 45 auto snd 45 colt, lost interest in them after that.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm considering a smaller 9mm from my S&W 59, and these at "under $200 used" seem like a great option. But perusing GB I saw none under $200, so I'll probably get something different as I see many compact 9mm selling around $225 new that I'd rather purchase.
Just how small is this gun anyway? Easy to carry concealed?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Easily concealable, thin and light. I got the Apex trigger kit and am very pleased with a more suitable trigger pull for me, for action pistol events at the range.
otteray
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This may be interesting to some. There was a 2000 rd challenge done with one of these pistols on P-F a while back. The procedure for the test is start with clean, lubed gun, shoot 2k rounds. No excuses for failures to function of any kind, all have to be reported, no lube or cleaning allowed until done. Time frame not important, some do it in a weekend, some take months. I dont recall the details, but believe it performed pretty well. There are a couple guys there that like them and keep one (or more) around as shooters, spares or loaners, whatever.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... est-thread
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

New ones at GB run in the $250-$280 range mostly, so not too badly priced. If I can locate a nice used one cheap, or new one locally I might buy it as a summer carry gun when my S&W 59 is too big for lighter clothing.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 pm I'm considering a smaller 9mm from my S&W 59, and these at "under $200 used" seem like a great option. But perusing GB I saw none under $200, so I'll probably get something different as I see many compact 9mm selling around $225 new that I'd rather purchase.
Just how small is this gun anyway? Easy to carry concealed?
Its not small but its not big. Glock 19 or S&W M&P Compact sized (which seems to be the sweet spot everyone is aiming for these days balanceing size and capacity)

Here is quick look at GunBroker offerings I found today.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790742261

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792853497

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792527038

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793869333

Here are two more that caught my eye that you might like to see as a S7W 59 fan in search of something more compact.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793598019

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790350336
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks WM. I'm hoping to find something quite a bit more compact than my 59, and probably single stack magazine. I do prefer S&W, but only if it's a decent gun with good reviews. I have a S&W compact .22 I carry occasionally, but always feel under gunned when I am packing it. I'd prefer a 9mm to share ammo, and it's usually cheaper than .380 ammo too.
Still looking around, and no big hurry to jump on anything until I am sure of the size and reliability.