IMR 4064 for my .243 and 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

IMR 4064 for my .243 and 30-30

Post by Camel73 »

Or just shooting the breeze about .243's...

I eased my way into reloading by fartin around with my 94, trailboss, and lee's 113gr fn. I still haven't even worked up full power loads yet. I have an unopened jug of leverevolution and lee's 170gr fn too. Got the checks, just need to whip up a batch of 45-45-10.

Years ago I had a pile of permissions to shoot coyotes so I picked up a .243 to take care of business. I've only ever run various factory 55 grainers through it with good results all around.
As of late, it only gets to entertain while camping but it's so fun to shoot I'm gonna need more shells soon! Lol
Over the years I've kept the brass, thinking I'd use it some day.......
Not long ago I saw an oddly mislabeled .243 die set - .243 Remington. Oooookayyy. It was the excuse I needed.

After becoming familiar with .243 twist and barrel length issues, I was able to thin the herd on bullet selection. I ended up with 70gr smk's and 87 v-max's. All that was left was powder.

Hey, look at that.. I can use IMR 4064 in both .243 and 30-30. Nice!
My first child - '94 30-30
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: IMR 4064 for my .243 and 30-30

Post by Larkbill »

More years ago than I like to think about IMR 4064 was my go to powder for my first centerfire reloading experience. A Remington 600 in 6 mm Remington. Killed more than one groundhog from my bedroom window with 75 gr hollowpoints. It also like the 87 gr Sierra. But I probably didn't experiment all that much due to limited funds and only one nearby gun shop that sold reloading supplies. The 'Net was just a gleam in Algore's eye then.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yes, 4064 should be a real handy powder for you for 30/30 and light bullets in 243. And if you want a really fun load for plinking when out camping try 10 grains of your Trailboss behind either of your bullets in 243. My 243 gets more of these 10 grain TB loads than anything else because the grandkids think it is such a hoot to shoot a 25/20 level load out of "their" deer rifle.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Haha, from your bedroom window?!! Nice!
One day I hope to be doing that very thing.

I've thought of the trailboss .243 loads... The only reason I'd want to do that is if my nephew showed a real interest it. I have faith, but it'll be a couple years yet. Out to 150 my Marlin 60 is awesome, and he's totally happy with that at the moment. Maybe one day.
I load up TB in my 94 for us to plink steel with also so short range is pretty much covered.

Right now I'm working with saved factory brass... Do any of you mix headstamps?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

"Do any of you mix headstamps?"

As a general rule ... ... no.

Different manufacturers will have different internal dimensions and that effects pressure. But even different lots of the same manufacturers brass can have noticeable differences in internal capacity so sorting is no guarantee of anything.

But I will say out of a hunting rifle, at hunting distances, with handloads made up of hunting bullets, etc. you probably will not notice difference between different manufacturers cases. I have a Savage 99 in 303 Savage with 120 rounds of mixed brass and I load them all with the same combination of IMR 3031 & 170 grain bullet and I can't detect much of a difference in point of impact between the 3 types of case.

This is probably just a OCD impulse left over from handloading from the days when I did NRA Highpower competition.

Wm
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Thanks Wm,
I weight sorted them just for something to do last week and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start fresh...

Ahh heck, out of 120 I probably have 2 40-piece batches that are worthy of calling the same. That'll do.

40 Win avg. 165gr
20 Horn avg. 170gr

20 Fed avg. 180gr
40 Nos avg. 180gr

I haven't popped the primers out or looked at lengths yet.

Maybe I'll make some TB loads with a couple non-average batches after all.

I'll have to color code or something so I'm not gettin all mixed up haha