Eye loupe?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Eye loupe?

Post by Camel73 »

I've been thinking on getting an eye loupe for helping me with various reloading duties.

Do any you own such items for helping you see, other than regular glasses?
My first child - '94 30-30
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eye loupe?

Post by earlmck »

Oh yeah! My wife has a nifty visor she uses for sewing which has two different powers of lenses you can flip down. I borrow this when I need to deal with little dinky things. Try your friendly local quilt store -- normally stocked item there.

The girl tells me that Harbor Freight carries one but "it isn't as nice as the quilting visor".
Last edited by earlmck on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Brownells look for OPTIVISOR. 20x maginifcation. Wear it like a visor. Very handy and hands free!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I use a little black plastic foldout with 10,20,and 30x magnifiers. Left over from my tool grinding days.
Use it mostly for checking crimp.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Another shout-out for the Optivisor model.

Yes, the magnifier with a light on a stand is very useful, but the Optivisor on your head is a lot more portable.

You'll use in a lot more places than just reloading after you get used to it.

On Amazon the base model is about $30 and you can spend as you wish on extra lenses, etc.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

One of all the above, they each have their uses.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I need one for taking off small skin cancers...! I find that more and more I have to get extra close and look over the top of my bifocals to get the most clarity. Fine if the lesion is on the shoulder, but given the places melanoma might show up (hint - it is NOT 'sun-related' like the other more common types of skin cancer), there are some places I don't really want to get that 'up close and personal'...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I second the idea of a lighted magnifier on an arm.

Degradation of my eye sight and hearing (and mobility) really sucks. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken better care of myself.

Wm
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 am Brownells look for OPTIVISOR. 20x maginifcation. Wear it like a visor. Very handy and hands free!
+1 to that -- GunnyMack is right on. And I also got an extra-power flip-down loupe on ebay, that I saw a jeweler wearing once; it works great for really close-up work.

The visor is the way to go, versus a hand-held one, I use mine all the time. And the added loupe is cool too.

Images below so you can "see" what we're referring to.

Old No7

Optivisor.jpg

Optivisor Loupe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

And yet another vote for the optivisor. I just replaced the lens two years ago. I use a #5 with a swing down magnifier. I've been doing lapidary and basic jewelry work for 46 years.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Thanks guys.
I'll have to bring an item or two with me to look at to see which ones i like best. Good thing they only smell like gunpowder... :shock:

Steve that's a tight setup. I almost had to get a magnifier to find your magnifier.

I'm packed down pretty tight at the moment and don't have the luxury of much space. I've drooled over some of your guys' nice setups though, lol.

The place I'm going to has an assortment of visual gadgets so at least I'll get to play with a few of them along side one another.
My first child - '94 30-30