23 Redtailed Hawks Sighted Yesterday!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

23 Redtailed Hawks Sighted Yesterday!

Post by Old No7 »

Fellow Levergunners from New England who travel up or down Rt 95 have probably seen the Redtailed Hawks perched in trees or on road signs along the highway as you travel between Maine and points south.

Between Kennebunk, Maine and Middleton, Mass yesterday on Rt 95, we saw -- 23 Redtailed Hawks.

Normally, if we'd see 5 or 6 over those 130 miles of highway down & back, that would be considered a good day... But 23 sightings total?! Wow!!! :!:

OK sure, some of the 11 hawks we saw on the way back north in the mid-afternoon were probably the same birds of prey we had seen earlier in the morning, but still, we thought the numbers were amazing!

When I was a kid, we wouldn't see any on that trip... (Due to all the issues from DDT I'm guessing...)

Cheers!

Old No7

Redtailed Hawk 01.jpg
Redtailed Hawk 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 23 Redtailed Hawks Sighted Yesterday!

Post by Pete44ru »

Just beautiful ! ;)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back in the late 80s I was fortunate to see a Snowy Owl while driving through NE PA. As I was driving it flew from the side of the road to the center median where it pounced on a prey item. Haven't seen one since.
We have lots of Bald Eagles here, breeding pairs. Heck even a few eyries have web cams. Plenty of hawks too.
I suspect your DDT theory is correct.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Traveling down I-5 or I-205 here in Oregon we see a lot of redtailed hawks too. Never counted the numbers, but at times every few light poles will have a redtail perched on top searching the banks of the freeway edges. Their numbers seem to indicate they're doing quite well, and continually increasing over the last decade.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Besides the DDT thing, back when I was considerably younger it was considered our duty to shoot "chicken hawks".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We see the them at the golf course here in SoCal pretty regularly. Took this shot a couple years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Above the canyon behind my place I regularly see pairs or hawks. Some are Redtails, but I think there is at least one other species. I've picked up a pretty good book on the local birds, and hopefully in a few months I can actually start to spend time figuring out what they are.

Owls are quite common, We have one big ole owl that has been seen just sitting there eating critters.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

It's funny that your posting this I've been spotting them around the Bowdionham, Richmond exit along I95 for the past year. There's a bog or pond some sort of game preserve can't think of the name of it off the Richmond exit, that's were I see them the most. I'm kind of surprised they are around in that area since there's been a growing population of bald eagles there.

Mainehunter
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool. We see lots of Red-Tailed hawks, some Red-Shouldered, and probably the next most common raptor here is the Bald Eagle. Some Ospreys on occasion, and the smaller Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned hawks, and relatively tiny Kestrels, round out the rural raptors. Peregrine falcons are in the city, though...

Glad to hear they are recovering from the DDT, and from the 'shoot "chicken-hawks" on sight' nonsense... :roll: :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

yes...there are beautiful birds and are needed in our eco system, but.....sometimes, a lot is too much. I used to read where Elmer Keith regularly shot eagles and hawks and I could not understand "why?". Today I know.

We have more than a few "chicken hawks" and from time to time, a beautiful set of bald eagles will devote their time to the pasture and woods out back, and this is my summation of their habits on our property.

When squirrels were plentiful, it's now a rare occurance.

Pheasants and rabbits are non existent.

Field mice are occasionally seen...good....rats are gone...good...those field rats would get under the barn and dig tunnels to get the horse feed.

Our barn cats that used to number around 8 are down to two...in the last year...never saw a carcass.

We no longer let our little dogs play in the fenced off half acre in the backyard unless we are outside with them. I can't remember the amount of times that hawks would sit on the fence posts 30 yards from the house.

As it's a major no-no to shoot hawks and I truly have no desire to hurt these beautiful birds, I now pay attention. As guns are strategically stationed all over around here, I will not hesitate to blast a hawk who is bearing down on my dogs.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm but.....sometimes, a lot is too much....
Too bad they don't eat liberals and pansie-a** whiners who live off the guv'mint...

They'd cut the population in Mass by 3/4 ! ! ! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old No7 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:51 pm Too bad they don't eat liberals and pansie-a** whiners who live off the guv'mint...
They'd cut the population in Mass by 3/4 ! ! ! :wink:
Old No7
#7,
there's a reason for hawks and eagles unable to eat liberals. There is only ONE scavenger that has the proper bacteria to digest liberals, parasites, Democrats, most college professors, government "workers", and these are the birds we need to protect.....buzzards!---6

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Someone who lives in the country and is a customer/patient has had his entire flock of chickens eaten by red tail hawks. He killed 11 hawks in the act. The hawks got around 100 chickens, a couple of cats, some baby goats, and a chihuahua. He hates hawks.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

piller wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 pm Someone who lives in the country and is a customer/patient has had his entire flock of chickens eaten by red tail hawks. He killed 11 hawks in the act. The hawks got around 100 chickens, a couple of cats, some baby goats, and a chihuahua. He hates hawks.
That says there is no natural prey in the area. Not to mention those Hawks learned real fast where to get an easy meal.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

No pictures but I’ve seen 15 or so bald eagles and more hawks than I care to count, on my way from NE Montana to Oklahoma to shoot some pigs and get a deer or two
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."