Today in History

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Today in History

Post by jeepnik »

It's 1340 hours pst. I can't believe no one has posted. To all of the fallen on this day in 1941 thank you. Your sacrifice is not forgotten.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Today in History

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper thanks for posting this, i`m so dern aggravated about what`s going on in this country right now and the thought of all those that served and died for our freedoms and i sit and watch our country being turned in to a one world communist order.
God Bless those that served and died i hope in the end we don`t let them down.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Made from a shell from the USS Vestal's 3" gun. Since it wasn't finished by my grandfather we figured he was working on it in early 1941 when he suffered a heart attack and was subsequently medically discharged. In January 1942 he was reinstated into the US Navy. He died in late 1943 of a second heart attack. He never went back to sea. But his son's got the payback he never was able to deliver.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I thought today was the 6th!
Thank you who served, paid the ultimate price- Never Forget!

That lamp is beautiful !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jeep, I was reminded of a man I was privileged to call a friend:

A 16-year-old Honolulu high school student named Frank Cordeiro was very interested in photography. So one of his teachers loaned him his Leica and told Frank to poke around down near the harbor over the weekend of December 6 and 7, 1941, looking for images to capture.
Frank took this one of the USS Shaw exploding, among others.

https://www.archives.gov/exhib...rldflames_img57.html

I knew Frank toward the end of his life in southern Oregon. A nicer man you will never meet; he and his wife were both Hawaiian with the gentle humor and grace so many Polynesians possess. As soon as he was old enough, Frank joined the Army as a combat photographer and was assigned to MacArthur.
Going back to the morning of December 7th, Frank told me the Japs were coming in low and relaxed, knowing they had us completely by surprise. Frank said a Zero flew right past him and the pilot saw him standing on shore with his camera and waved. They were close enough to see each others' faces.
Frank died of heart disease just three months before my Mom died, and is buried in the same row at Eagle Point National Cemetery.
God bless you and rest in peace Frank. You were a witness to real history.

https://www.findagrave.com/mem...ank-ontario-cordeiro
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

We are all very lucky that our fate was in the hands of that generation of Americans.
They were America at it's best.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The most depressing, lonely, sombre and surreal emotions can be felt by a sailor on a naval base in the tropics of a sunny sunday morning.....

Within an hour of dawn, even when partly cloudy, the sun is so bright that the human eye cannot handle all of the brilliance of blue sky and the iris/lens filters the blue to a shaded purple. Reveille is only played from it's source and not broadcast on the basewide p.a. Dockside industrial and vehicular noises are few due to the day of rest. Even insect and bird sounds are muted.....Church and chapel bells are heard in the distance and one can imagine families in their sunday finest ascending the church steps.

A young sailor can feel less than human. That is when you have liberty and have the day-off. Now if you're on-duty and cannot leave the ship (unless you have a pier security watch) add envy and jealousy of your off-duty shipmates to your mix of emotions. Can make you quite blue.

No matter your thoughts, the last thing you expect is to die from a bomb(s)/torpedo(es) blast or subsequent fire(s)/flood(s).....
m.A.g.a. !