How long must I wait?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

How long must I wait?

Post by Nath »

When are we going to see a .25 rimfire?
Winchester have tooled up (or someone in their behalf) for the larger case but chose 17 :roll:

What kind of performance were the old .25 rimfire rounds and what does the board think a new one could do on the Winchester case?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How long must I wait?

Post by Old No7 »

With a new .25 rimmed case, or sized and powered to fit all the old guns out there?

That might be the issue -- or maybe I should have typed "under powered to fit all the old..." :?:

I don't have access to the sales by caliber/cartridge size, but I think you'll still be waiting in 10 years or so...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Such has been tried before. It's an issue of cost and popularity. They just don't sell enough to make them profitable.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The .22 WMR made revival of the .25 Stevens impractical, for new production arms.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I was thinking of the new Winchester case. It's all ready .25 I think.
Winchester could make a .20 & a .25.
The time is right for something different.

A 25 with a 60gr bullet around 1800fps would be a dandy.
Our am I way off ??

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think a 25 would be quite the little number. That new 22 from Winchester/Savage looked to be a hot ticket , I was intrested in it but the accuracy just wasnt there, over inch groups at 50 just didnt appeal to me. Could be it's over bore and could benefit from larger dia bullet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I say "forget about it" . step up to the 32-20 CF. :D .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm I say "forget about it" . step up to the 32-20 CF. :D .
What he said!

Or a .25-20/.218 Bee or .22 Hornet. Any of which should fit the bill.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm
.45colt wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm I say "forget about it" . step up to the 32-20 CF. :D .
What he said!

Or a .25-20/.218 Bee or .22 Hornet. Any of which should fit the bill.

jb 8)

This. Plus, you can reload them.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bar Humbug.
Some of us don't want to reload any more.
You guys may be able to reload at reasonable prices but over here it's gotten silly and getting worse and there is an ever narrowing of choices.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of those .17 Win Super Magnum rifles. 3/8th inch groups at 100 yards when playing around, and under 1/8th inch when trying. NOPE, not accurate at all. Kicks like a mule and so loud that the host from lifestyles of the rich and famous asks "WHAT WAS THAT"?

Seriously, it would probably do well if necked to .25 as it starts life as a .27 sized power unit for sending nails into concrete. My best group was 50 rounds all touching at 100 yards. It was slightly larger than a pencil eraser.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm I have one of those .17 Win Super Magnum rifles. 3/8th inch groups at 100 yards when playing around, and under 1/8th inch when trying. NOPE, not accurate at all. Kicks like a mule and so loud that the host from lifestyles of the rich and famous asks "WHAT WAS THAT"?

Seriously, it would probably do well if necked to .25 as it starts life as a .27 sized power unit for sending nails into concrete. My best group was 50 rounds all touching at 100 yards. It was slightly larger than a pencil eraser.
That's even better, a .27 case. Come on Winchester....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's absolutely the best accuracy report I have heard of! I might have to rethink it!!

As for 25/20, 218 bee and hornet I have all 3 as well as lr and 22 mag- what's another caliber!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Can't get any more British meets New Frontier, but here's my AUS Cadet with a set of Parker Hale sights and a new Shaw barrel chambered in .25 WCF! I have about 3000+ .258 LRNGC bullets that my Grandfather made up ( along with his molds), so it was an easy choice for the new chambering. When I do my part, it makes one ragged hole at 100 yds.

Nath, Sorry for the lack of options over there. A little Revolution now and then is a healthy thing! :D
Someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong anyway, but If was only allowed to have a few long guns, this would be one of them. Easy to load, shoot and repeat. Kills way outside of what the "Professionals" say it should.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm Can't get any more British meets New Frontier, but here's my AUS Cadet with a set of Parker Gale sights and a new Shaw barrel chambered in .25 WCF! I have about 3000+ .258 LRNGC bullets that my Grandfather made up ( along with his molds), so it was an easy choice for the new chambering. When I do my part, it makes one ragged hole at 100 yds.

Nath, Sorry for the lack of options over there. A little Revolution now and then is a healthy thing! :D
Someone will come along and tell me I'm wrong anyway, but If was only allowed to have a few long guns, this would be one of them. Easy to load, shoot and repeat. Kills way outside of what the "Professionals" say it should.

jb 8)
As ever JB, pure class :mrgreen:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm That's even better, a .27 case. Come on Winchester....
Just call it the "270 Winchester Short Rimfire Magnum" and it will sell like hotcakes.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 pm
Nath wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm That's even better, a .27 case. Come on Winchester....
Just call it the "270 Winchester Short Rimfire Magnum" and it will sell like hotcakes.... :lol:
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, I'd buy a .25 rimfire. I have heard some very good things about the old .25 Stevens.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am Nath, I'd buy a .25 rimfire. I have heard some very good things about the old .25 Stevens.
8)
I imagine in a pinch it be called upon to perform beyond all current trends have us believe!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Cal me crazy but I'm really intrigued by the .327 Federal. On paper it looks equal to a .32-20 but with a straight wall easy to reload case. It will shoot all manner of .32 cartridges. I just wish there were more long gun options for it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm Cal me crazy but I'm really intrigued by the .327 Federal. On paper it looks equal to a .32-20 but with a straight wall easy to reload case. It will shoot all manner of .32 cartridges. I just wish there were more long gun options for it.
I doubt anyone has heard of it over here!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love my .327 Federal! Super easy to load and a wicked accurate revolver! It would make a great Zombie apocalypse pistol. You can shoot .32 Short, Long H&R Magnum, .327 Federal and even .32 ACP! Just about any .32s you can find. :D Henry makes a rifle and carbine but they're hard to find in my part of the woods. Would like to pick one up eventually.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too think the 327 is a great round. It would make a great little truck gun, shop gun, barn gun. Itll do more than it should for sure.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

With full bore loads, it's just about the loudest *** I've ever had. Right up there w/ my Contender with the .30 Carbine barrel on it. :shock:
jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There are dozens of good CF cartridges, but some of us own rifles already chambered for the old .25 Stevens Long RF, and would love a steady source of ammo for them! Sure I wouldn't seek out a .25 RF, but when you've already got one with a beautiful bore, I'd sure love to shoot it more!
I've got 6 or 7 boxes of original Cannuck ammo for the .25 Stevens RF, but I shoot it sparingly because it's irreplaceable. If I could find the ammo again I'd be shooting the heck out of my little Ballard #3 in this caliber!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm There are dozens of good CF cartridges, but some of us own rifles already chambered for the old .25 Stevens Long RF, and would love a steady source of ammo for them! Sure I wouldn't seek out a .25 RF, but when you've already got one with a beautiful bore, I'd sure love to shoot it more!
I've got 6 or 7 boxes of original Cannuck ammo for the .25 Stevens RF, but I shoot it sparingly because it's irreplaceable. If I could find the ammo again I'd be shooting the heck out of my little Ballard #3 in this caliber!

And how well does it shoot pard?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:18 pm With full bore loads, it's just about the loudest *** I've ever had. Right up there w/ my Contender with the .30 Carbine barrel on it. :shock:
jb 8)
And there is another little nearly forgotten gem, 30 carbine!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nath wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:37 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm There are dozens of good CF cartridges, but some of us own rifles already chambered for the old .25 Stevens Long RF, and would love a steady source of ammo for them! Sure I wouldn't seek out a .25 RF, but when you've already got one with a beautiful bore, I'd sure love to shoot it more!

And how well does it shoot pard?
It's shoots amazing with the Cannuck ammo. I get under 1" groups at 50 yds. and I almost wish it wasn't so pristine, as I'd reline it to .22LR. But it's marked under the forearm wood as being "re-rifled by J Stevens Arms Co.". It left Marlin as a .22 Long, and I guess someone wanted the new fangled .25 Stevens when it came out later. So they had Stevens rebore it and chamber for the .25 Stevens. I love it, but wish the ammo was more available, or that they'd never have rebored it. I believe the full length Stevens scope was likely purchased and added when the gun was rebored at Stevens.
Bummer when something shoots so well, but ammo is limited.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Another lovely Ballard, Vall. Sorry you can't shoot it to your heart's content.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Bill!

Anyone interested in .25 Stevens RF might consider going to Winchester and Hornady's websites and use the "contact" format to send them a message stating your desire for them to make this ammo. I've done so, but it will take others to ask a lot before they'll likely respond.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:31 pm Thanks Bill!

Anyone interested in .25 Stevens RF might consider going to Winchester and Hornady's websites and use the "contact" format to send them a message stating your desire for them to make this ammo. I've done so, but it will take others to ask a lot before they'll likely respond.
Thanks marlinman.
That's a good idea about contacting ammo manufacturers.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Apparently, if you can find some suitable sized nail gun blanks a #2 buck shot ball can be loaded first and then the blank!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

What ballistics would you expect from a new 25 Rimfire? I'm just curious, I had not really thought about it before you brought it up.

Wm
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

wm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:22 pm What ballistics would you expect from a new 25 Rimfire? I'm just curious, I had not really thought about it before you brought it up.

Wm
I would think, if possible, 60grn doing 1600 would be very handy!
Bet there is some software somewhere that could give a prediction.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer's Henry in .327 federal hits what she can see. I can reload it and she has a lot of fun with it. Her SP101 in the same caliber is ideal for her.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

wm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:22 pm What ballistics would you expect from a new 25 Rimfire? I'm just curious, I had not really thought about it before you brought it up.

Wm
The original Stevens .25 Long had a 67 gr. bullet that left the muzzle at 1400 fps. No slouch, and the heavier bullet could bring down small game easier than even hot .22LR.

I looked at doing the nail gun charges also. The .25 caliber are supposedly too large, and you need to use the .22 charges to fit in a .25 RF. Supposed to also use the lightest charge possible, as anything heavier can dame some old guns that are weak.
I would build a breech seating tool myself, and then breech seat a .257" bullet in the bore, and a shot case behind it. I breech seat for several old single shot rifles, and have a tool designed to work on my other Ballard rifles. I'd just need to make the seating rod and case to make it work for the little .25RF.
Here's my friend's son shooting one of my Ballard rifles with my breech seater tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWGJ637mic
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I happen to stumble across this on GunBroker. Just thought I would pass it along. Not mine, no connection to me but the price seems at least reasonable .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793196194

Wm
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm Can't get any more British meets New Frontier, but here's my AUS Cadet with a set of Parker Hale sights and a new Shaw barrel chambered in .25 WCF! I have about 3000+ .258 LRNGC bullets that my Grandfather made up ( along with his molds), so it was an easy choice for the new chambering. When I do my part, it makes one ragged hole at 100 yds.

jb 8)
That is just freaking awesome!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: