federal bureau of prisons marked winchester 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Awsomepossum
Levergunner

federal bureau of prisons marked winchester 94?

Post by Awsomepossum »

Hello,

I have come across a Winchester 94 marked F.B. of P. This marking seems to be for the federal bureau of prisons. This rifle has the crossed double cannon marked and has US property marked on it. Also has FBP marked under buttplate, Serial number dates to 1959. Honestly I believe it is a fake, were any of these ever marked for the FBP? Also why in 1959 would they issue lever action 30-30's when they have much better surplus(m1 carbine) laying around?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: federal bureau of prisons marked winchester 94?

Post by Ray Newman »

maybe post your query here??? https://winchestercollector.org/forum/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Awsomepossum wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 pm
I have come across a Winchester 94 marked F.B. of P.

This marking seems to be for the federal bureau of prisons.

This rifle has the crossed double cannon marked and has US property marked on it. Also has FBP marked under buttplate.

Honestly I believe it is a fake, were any of these ever marked for the FBP ?

Yes.

According to “The Winchester Book” by George Madis (p. 442), these types of US marked ‘94s saw duty guarding the U.S. borders, defense plants, etc.

IMHO, with the hidden markings mentioned, it's the real deal.

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

They were also used to administer the death penalty. Gary Gilmore was put to death by firing squad using 94s.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/Gilmore.pdf

TomF
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Awsomepossum wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 pm Also why in 1959 would they issue lever action 30-30's when they have much better surplus(m1 carbine) laying around?
You consider the M1 carbine "much better" in what way exactly? A greater rate of fire and a higher magazine capacity perhaps, but with less accuracy.

M1 carbine: 110 grains bullet with muzzle velocity of 1990 fps

30-30: either 125 or 150 grain bullet with muzzle velocity of 2175 or 2390 fps

No place for heresy here...
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Alcatraz - Firearms Inventory (1948)

http://www.notfrisco2.com/alcatraz/charts/firearms.htm

Just because there is no listing for Winchester 94 here does not mean there wasn't some at other prisons but ……… well you make up your own mind. I just found this interesting.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Given the choice as a guard the 1894 would be with me.
Generally once prisons are armed the budget does not include much $$$ for upgrading the arsenal.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There were numerous Model 1894 Winchesters used by various state, and county prisons or jails. There were also those noted above that were used for Federal Prisons. Government rules state that items like guns being replaced by new guns are to be offered for sale to lower level state and local governments before being offered to the public. So often these firearms were passed down to state agencies, or county agencies if they wanted them. If the other agencies weren't interested, then the firearms were auctioned off to dealers who resold them.

But there are also numerous fakes! So before purchasing such a gun with markings, do yourself a favor and investigate all the provenance you can find first. Often these guns were purchased in certain serial number blocks, so they can be authenticated.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"But there are also numerous fakes! So before purchasing such a gun with markings, do yourself a favor and investigate all the provenance you can find first. Often these guns were purchased in certain serial number blocks, so they can be authenticated."

--MarlinMan93

BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Nate C. wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:55 pm
Awsomepossum wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 pm Also why in 1959 would they issue lever action 30-30's when they have much better surplus(m1 carbine) laying around?
You consider the M1 carbine "much better" in what way exactly? A greater rate of fire and a higher magazine capacity perhaps, but with less accuracy.
Mmm... the fact that the government already owned millions of them collecting dust? Why buy new 94's?
Slow is just slow.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

cas wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:52 pm
Mmm... the fact that the government already owned millions of them collecting dust? Why buy new 94's?
Key word is "government"! :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

I am quite curious about this '94, having worked for The Federal Bureau of Prisons and never having heard any mention of them. When I was a Correctional Officer (guard, hack, screw, turnkey, poeleece) we had a Model 70 '06 with Redfield sights, 2 M-1 carbines with 15 round magazines and 2 or more Colt .38 Spl. revolvers loaded with mil spec ball and either a Model '97 12 bore or a Model 12 12 bore in our towers. I hope someone can provide factual data on this. I do know that during WW1 Army units guarding the Spruce Railroad did carry Model 94's.
Bob