Rossi 92 sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 sights

Post by jcw »

The sights on my 92 trapper are useless with my eyes. I need to go to a peep. Are the bolt mounted peeps any good? do they hold a zero? What are your thoughts on the other peep sights available.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92 sights

Post by JerryB »

I am 80 years old and Use a Williams 5D on my Rossi 92 .357 carbine and several other rifles. I don't have any trouble using them without changing the front sight as some will say you have to do. I think you would enjoy shooting more.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I have a Winchester model 65 that I rebuilt after a fire. The 65 is same as a 92 except it has pistol grip and a peep sight on the bolt. .I have not shot it enough to have worked up a really good load for it. Does however seem that the inconsistent bolt lockup spreads the shots around a bit.. I've used the rifle in a couple pistol caliber levergun matches. .For serious shooting I use my Rossi 92 with receiver mounted Redfield rear sight.. I wouldn't ever deliberately choose a breechbolt mounted peep...… I'll mention that I tried a tang mounted Marbles rear sight on the Rossi 92 - the Marbles was the model that was to work on the Rossi but didn't give me enough elevation at 100 yards - shooting 4 inches low with the lightly loaded .357 mag.s that I compete with. That was with the lowest globe front sight I could get - going back to original front sight may have gotten me on target to 100 yards.. The Williams receiver mounted sight is your best option as JerryB has said.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I am down to only one 92 and it's a 32-20. I use a Marbles tang sight on it and recommend it to other old geezers like me. I started using the tang sights while shooting SASS matches where I don't use an aperture, just look through the threads. They come with 3 discs and the big one with the little hole lets you see a crisp front and the target at the same time. A Godsend to me. At least try one. My '86 45-90 has one that is zeroed for 200 yards while the open sight is set at 100 which allows me to make shots to 225 without hold over.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

A William 5D or the Lyman 66 receiver sights (needs screw holes drilled by gunsmith to fit) fitted will work with a 16 inch barrelled Rossi 92, and give you enough elevation to use the original front sight. (The 16 inch ones often shoot too low for their sights because Rossi were putting the same size front sight on the 16inch as were on their 20 inch carbines - fitting the receiver sight is a good fix since Rossi parts are hard to get and the dovetail size is larger than standard.)

I have not used the ones that screw into where the bolt safety used to be (Most of the Rossi's over here do not have that safety.) but I cannot imagine them being better sights. Certainly they will not give the amount of adjustment a proper receiver sight will do.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain