Question on Drones (no....not how to shoot them down...)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Question on Drones (no....not how to shoot them down...)

Post by AJMD429 »

I was watching a home-inspector use a camera-drone to check out a roof, and thought that was pretty cool. I have often wished I could check out chimney flashing, or just see what things on the farm look like from up high.

Anyone here have experience with 'drones', and if so, what ones are practical and reasonably durable but reasonably priced as well...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question on Drones (no....not how to shoot them down...)

Post by jeepnik »

I do a lot of work on cooling towers. Think big box with really big fans on top. My partner thought it a drone would be great for doing inspections of the tops. So I bought one and learned how to fly it (not really hard). Then took it out to a customer and tried it out. I only forgot one step. I didn't have them turn off the fans. Yep, it went up, got caught in some sort of vortex and was tossed out to the side. Now that would have been okay except for the building that was in the way.

No, I'm not trying that again, I'll just climb the darned ladder.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I think they are fascinating, but was born without any of the genes that apply to controlling RC joysticks. I tried an RC airplane once, and it nearly decapitated me before it crashed. Would have made a great Youtube fail.
Speaking of drones, Holloman AFB here is one of the nation's main training centers for the Predator drones -- and we have been warned the White Sands Missile Range highways will be closed Tuesday and Thursday for tests of a very large pilotless aircraft. Hope to get a glimpse.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

While I have no personal experience, it's a no brainer Doc. There's was this guy "terrorizing" our area in the last year. My BIL, who has a skylight in his kitchen was telling me he heard this humming noise, looked up and there was this drone "peeking" in. I saw it several times while sitting out back and thought about shotgunning it down, but just figured it was some kids, whatever, playing. I even waved it it.

I heard people at the post office talking about it, how this drone would hover over their house.

Then......I found out who it was and laughed my azz off as this guy had the intelligence of tree bark. He is an alright guy, knowing him for years........he was just having fun....so....if he could do it....you can, Doc :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I ran across a guy on the net that does it for a living. He also is a light sport pilot and posts many interesting videos all about flying. I will post a lead to one and you probably can see a ton of other flying videos off that one. Sounds like he got into it early and does or makes flying views from drones all over the country for ad`s from all types of manufacture`s for their products. He got into light sport flying from that job as he said it became a requirement to have a pilots license if you flew drones commercially and he found his avid love for flying from being forced to get a pilots license! The guys name is Trent Palmer. Watch the first video. He discribes what he does for a living.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkIL5I3IpyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhI4MeCn1c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KS9NkpXShg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I thought a drone might be fantastic for checking long range target hits! Just fire up the drone whenever you want to see how your gun is shooting, and fly out to the target and take a look! Not sure how the cameras work, and whether they take pictures at angles? Also not sure if you still have control at 1,000 yds. away or not?

May have to do some more investigation myself to see if it's workable, and worth the cost. Then figure out if I can mount a can of spray paint too, so I can paint dingers with the drone too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bill, while checking out Trent's vids, I saw this. Holy poopoo ... maybe literally ... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJljVV_GyY
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My neighbor has a higher end drone and he can fly it a good mile or so as the crow flies. This model also has a HOME feature. GPS your HOME and go fly and if the control signal is lost it returns by itself. He can watch/control it from his ipad.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Any time you want to check out which is best and which is not as far as electronics go, check THE WIRE CUTTER. It's like the consumer reports of all things electronic.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.