Thinking very fondly of 41

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Thinking very fondly of 41

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a fine American, with an unmatched record of service, starting right out of "high school." Godspeed sir.

From Wikipedia:
The United States formally entered World War II in December 1941, following Japan's surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Six months later, Bush enlisted into the U.S. Navy[4] immediately after he graduated from Phillips Academy on his eighteenth birthday. He became a naval aviator, taking training for aircraft carrier operations aboard USS Sable.[3][5] After completing the 10-month course, he was commissioned as an ensign in the United States Naval Reserve at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi on June 9, 1943 (just three days before his 19th birthday), which made him the youngest naval aviator to that date.[4]

In September 1943, he was assigned to Torpedo Squadron 51 (VT-51) as the photographic officer.[4] The following year, his squadron was based in USS San Jacinto as a member of Air Group 51, where his lanky physique earned him the nickname "Skin".[6] During this time, the task force was victorious in one of the largest air battles of World War II: the Battle of the Philippine Sea.[4]

Bush in his TBM aboard San Jacinto in 1944
After Bush's promotion to lieutenant (junior grade) on August 1, 1944, San Jacinto commenced operations against the Japanese in the Bonin Islands. Bush piloted one of four Grumman TBM Avengers of VT-51 that attacked the Japanese installations on Chichijima.[7] His crew for the mission, which occurred on September 2, 1944, included Radioman Second Class John Delaney and Lt.(jg) William White.[4] During their attack, the Avengers encountered intense anti-a fire; Bush's aircraft was hit by flak and his engine caught fire. Despite the fire in his aircraft, Bush completed his attack and released bombs over his target, scoring several damaging hits.[4] With his engine ablaze, Bush flew several miles from the island, where he and one other crew member of the TBM bailed out;[8] the other man's parachute did not open.[4] Bush waited for four hours in an inflated raft, while several fighters circled protectively overhead, until he was rescued by the submarine USS Finback, on lifeguard duty.[4] For the next month, he remained in Finback and participated in the rescue of other aviators. Several of those shot down during the attack were executed, and their livers were eaten by their captors.[9] This experience shaped Bush profoundly, leading him to ask, "Why had I been spared and what did God have for me?"[10]

In November 1944, Bush returned to San Jacinto and participated in operations in the Philippines until his squadron was replaced and sent home to the United States. Through 1944, he flew 58 combat missions[8] for which he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to San Jacinto.[4] Bush was then reassigned to a training wing for torpedo bomber crews at Norfolk Navy Base, Virginia. His final assignment was to a new torpedo squadron, VT-153, based at Naval Air Station Grosse Ile, Michigan. Bush was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy in September 1945, one month after the surrender of Japan.[11]
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thinking very fondly of 41

Post by Pete44ru »

R.I.P. George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Long story but I met daddy bush, then vice-president, on saco bay during the old orchard cider festival, weekend before labor day 1987.

I missed voting for him in '88 being on the south atlantic somewhere between tierra del fuego and the malvinas. In '92, I remember being the only one who voted for him at a workplace of thirty plus employees. They really got me down the road about voting republican, clinton being that era's face of "hope and change". Thanks ross perot ! :(
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Although I have the utmost respect for Bush's public service, both military and civilian; I'm still ticked at him for his assault weapon ban of 1989. I think his decision to turn against gun owners and bow to liberal pressures put a tarnish on an otherwise stellar career in politics.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 am Although I have the utmost respect for Bush's public service, both military and civilian; I'm still ticked at him for his assault weapon ban of 1989. I think his decision to turn against gun owners and bow to liberal pressures put a tarnish on an otherwise stellar career in politics.
Agreed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm willing to give any young American who flew 58 combat missions against the Japanese by the time he was 21 at least one mulligan, and maybe more. Just me.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I did not care for his politics and did not vote for him. IMO he was an out of touch elitist.

But he was a fine man and a great American in his time.

RIP, Mr. Bush.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:08 pm I'm willing to give any young American who flew 58 combat missions against the Japanese by the time he was 21 at least one mulligan, and maybe more. Just me.
I’m with you Bill!

The Reagan / Bush years were a big part of my childhood.
If I remember right, he was nearly picked up by the Japanese when a US submarine popped up and fished him out of the water.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I did not see eye to eye politically with him, but his service to this Country does deserve to be praised. May he Rest In Peace.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost