As to the matter of converting Berdan cases to Boxer ........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

As to the matter of converting Berdan cases to Boxer ........

Post by wm »

As part of my preparation the months long celebration known as Reload-palooza at my home that begins every year on or around the winter solstice to help the inhabitants survive the hardships of a Michigan winter I am investigating the best method to convert Berdan primed cases to Boxer priming. It has bothered me from time to time to throw away really good quality brass cases in difficult or expensive to acquire chamberings simply because of the priming. In particular the 7.5X55 Swiss known as 591-1100. These are as good or better as any match grade cases. Them Swiss guys seem to have a perfection addiction. Nationwide OCD I guess. Must be the water or something.

Anyway my research has turned up several variations on the same general principle. I wondered if anyone here had already tackled this problem and learned some hard lessons that I could benefit from. I've always considered it both a privilege and an advantage to learn from others peoples trials and tribulations. Any advice you would be willing to share I would be grateful for.

Wm.

P.S. I know there is boxer brass out there, that's not the point. Waste not, want not. A skill mastered, is security earned. etc. And since my eye sight is declining and I don't shoot small groups on targets anymore I need to have something to brag about at the range so it may as well be the ammo I make because I'm not getting better looking either. :wink:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: As to the matter of converting Berdan cases to Boxer ........

Post by 765x53 »

Here is something on that subject that I stumbled onto and saved. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... 25275.html
I have never had occasion to try it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

If there is a will there usually is a way. As my dad used to say, jack up the radiator cap and drive a new car under that piece of junk. Meaning it ain't worth the trouble.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

There’s a couple of guys at Cast Boolits forumn that do this. Might even be a sticky on it. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

While reading the OP I was thinking not worth the trouble unless it's a very obsolete cartridge. However I understand not wanting to throw Swiss surplus brass away. It's mighty good stuff for once and done. I've read of methods, but don't remember the particulars. Good luck.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

44shooter wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 am While reading the OP I was thinking not worth the trouble unless it's a very obsolete cartridge. However I understand not wanting to throw Swiss surplus brass away. It's mighty good stuff for once and done. I've read of methods, but don't remember the particulars. Good luck.
Besides the Swiss 7.5 Brass my nephew says he has some Fiochhi 401 WSL that he bought from Graf & Sons a couple years back thats Berdan primed. I found that surprising but I guess in Europe it might make sense ....... Fiochhi might have ties to a manufacturer in the Balkans (Bulgaria, Albania, etc.) or something.

But I agree it wouldnt be worth the trouble for say 7.62X39mm or 9X19mm or anything like that. My focus is 7.5X55mm Swiss and 8X56R mm right now. Down the line if I get a system figured out that works maybe I'll do something else. I always liked the French 1935 semi auto pistol chambered in 30 French Longue (nearly identical to 30 Pederson of Pederson device fame). If I could score such a gun and 100 Berdan cases it might make for a some range fun. I hate to see a good gun go unappreciated and unshot just because ammo isnt available.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 pm There’s a couple of guys at Cast Boolits forumn that do this. Might even be a sticky on it. Todd/3leg
Thanks ...... I'll do some digging.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

765x53 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 pm Here is something on that subject that I stumbled onto and saved. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... 25275.html
Thanks for the tip. Very interesting.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

765x53 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 pm Here is something on that subject that I stumbled onto and saved. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paralla ... 25275.html
This was really interesting and helpful. Thank you.

Wm
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Back in the 70's a lot of vets were bringing those little Moisin Nagant carbines from Viet Nam. A friend of mine bought one at a gun show after the guy found out ammo was so hard to get at the time. My friend was able to get his hands on a couple of dozen or original military rounds. After shooting them he chucked each round and drilled out the primer and cut the face just enough so that it would hold a shotgun primer. These weren't full house loads by any means, just enough to send a cast bullet downrange and punch some paper. It should work for your Swiss as well.

Well WM, you're in luck. I was looking for something else and found this as well. A complete kit for making the conversion.
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.mysh ... n-domestic
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Back in my mis-spent youth, I converted .577 Snider brass to boxer primed.
I drilled the primer pocket out and made a tapered insert from a .22 hornet case.
The converted case was still going strong after a couple hundred shots, when I sold the gun.

A pal of mine used to decap berdan cases, flatten the anvil with a punch, and then reseat the fired primers upside down to bush the pockets. The flash holes were then redrilled. I don't recall how he sized the new pockets for depth and diameter.

Jack
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I know that a late friend would set Berdan primeredcases in the shell holder and fill the cases partially with water and use a small dowel and hammer to remove the primers hydraulically.
As to the pocket prep after that I do not recall.

"Berdan bedamened, boxers are us", was a phrase another friend used to help himself remember what brass he wanted to buy.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I was first reloading (a long time ago) I reloaded a ton of Berdan primed 303 Brit brass. But I just bought Berdan primers and used them. Why not do that? Or are Berdan primers no longer available?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***