Any advice or warnings as to reloading manuals?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Any advice or warnings as to reloading manuals?

Post by wm »

I buy one (sometimes two) new reloading manuals every December. I've got a considerable back log and of course my 'go to' hand loads like 5,5 grains of Win 231/230 gr FMJ/JHP but I think it pays to always keep the library refreshed.

My thoughts are I am shooting less and less jacketed bullets and more and more cast as I get older. The jacketed bullets I do shoot tend to be in rifles and semi auto handguns (mostly 9mm & 45 ACP). And I tend to shoot the more mundane and common jacketed bullets like bulk Remington and Winchester bullets (my favorite go to is the 170 grain soft points that work in 30-06, 308, 30-40 Krag, 300 Sav, 7.5 Swiss, 7.5 French, 30 Rem & of course 30 WCF).

The really cutting edge jacketed stuff is great but just not appropriate or worthwhile for my uses. Using Sierra Matchkings or Nosler Accubonds to shoot paper at 200 yards out of a Arisaka converted to 6.5X55mm Mauser is kind of silly IMO.

Powders seem to be where the real evolution and advancement seem to be taking place. Every month there seems to be a new powder introduced that promises new levels of performance in one way or the other. I can't hardly keep up with them all …… but then again I don't invest much effort in trying to even though I feel like I probably should.

Anyway …… any thoughts or advice.

Wm

P.S. I'm not much or a experimenter or the type to look for nth degree of performance. I reload for economy sake and because I get a kick out of making reliable stuff. I respect handloaders who turn out ammo that pushes the envelope but it just isn't my cup of tea. My attitude is that my 30-06 is a 30-06. If I need a 300 win mag I'll buy a 300 win mag
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Any advice or warnings as to reloading manuals?

Post by PaperPatch »

wm wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:18 pm My attitude is that my 30-06 is a 30-06. If I need a 300 win mag I'll buy a 300 win mag
Sound wisdom.

:wink:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WM, I, too, have given up on trying to keep up with new powder developments -- especially since most of them now run close to $30 or more per pound. I typically just buy the Hodgdon manual, even though the data are available free online and rely on load discussions from reliable sites to fill things in. I used to have all the hardbound manuals from Hornady, Sierra, Barnes, Speer and Nosler but they are expensive and at least partially obsolete the day they are printed. I wish Hornady weren't so stingy with data.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Like many of us, I have a library of such manuals going back to Sharpe and Waters and I use them to check loads in newer manuals. My only recommendation is NEVER use a new-to-you load from any source without checking other references to similar loads. There have and can be misprints in load documents.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

crs wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 pm Like many of us, I have a library of such manuals going back to Sharpe and Waters and I use them to check loads in newer manuals. My only recommendation is NEVER use a new-to-you load from any source without checking other references to similar loads. There have and can be misprints in load documents.

Excellent advice.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Don’t take this wrong, but if you like regular performance then why buy new manuals ? The original load for the 6.5x55 has been killing moose since the 1890’s. :)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sometimes the Manual won't mention the exact same supplies you have like primer, exact kind/weight bullet. That's when several manuals come in handy so I can gently and carefully extrapolate a beginning load and work up if need be.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I do use the online resources of loaddata.com and ammoguide.com, and find them very helpful to verify that a load I found elsewhere is at least reasonable. The comparisons and sorting features of a AmmoGuide are impressive enough that I have kept my annual membership there so I get full access for I think $19 a year or so. Well worth it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

harry wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 pm Don’t take this wrong, but if you like regular performance then why buy new manuals ? The original load for the 6.5x55 has been killing moose since the 1890’s. :)
Yeah, I'm with harry. But then this is coming from a guy who has only bought one manual in this century, and that was a Lyman manual with lots of cast bullet data...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

harry wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 pm Don’t take this wrong, but if you like regular performance then why buy new manuals ? The original load for the 6.5x55 has been killing moose since the 1890’s. :)

I occasionally pick up a rifle in a new (to me) caliber or powders manufacturers have been known to change formulations of powders and I just feel I'd like to make some attempt at staying current, half hearted as it may be.

Honestly i could live the rest of my life using Win 231 and Win 296 and be happy but being flexible is the key to surviving shortages and famines.

Wm.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

One reason to keep newer/updated manuals, besides new powders, is the newer, more accurate testing methods. PSI, vs CUP is one. Yes, I know PSI testing has been around for a while, but there are many loads and cartridges not listed in PSI, but in CUP. Often when I find a newer powder (or jes looking at newer powders) I'll check the powder manufacturer's web site). I may not have a gun in a particular, new cartridge, but a reloading manual is a big help when shopping for a new gun/cartridge...

While I like books, I may not "need" new manuals yearly as I have a couple three ring binders with my loads and results, mebbe some targets dating back to '90. When I'm looking for a load, I can check my binder and see one and it's performance in my gun. Not much help for new powders or new to me cartridges...

Besides, all the manuals I've purchased have way more stuff, info., than just load data...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a whole shelf full of reloading manuals I have accumulated over the years, must be at least 20 of them or so, some dating back to the early 1950's. Comparing loads in them sometimes very interesting.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're tending to shoot more cast lead, then your resources for load manuals begin to be more limited. Some manuals today don't even show cast bullet loads, and those that do often only show loads for cartridges that are typically found in cast bullet loads, or pistol cartridges.
I've always gone the opposite direction in buying manuals. I keep an eye out at gun shows for older manuals from Ideal, Lyman, or RCBS and buy those. They always contain both jacketed and cast bullet data.
As far as finding data that uses the exact bullet, or primers, I don't worry about those things as they're minor. What I look for is the powders, and bullet weight. If a manual gives me data for a 170 gr. .32-40 load with cast bullets; I don't care if their bullet is shaped slightly different than mine, as that doesn't change the charge. I also don't care if they're using CCI, Rem. or Win. primers. Unless I was pushing loads up near maximum, (which I never do) the data is close enough for me to begin load work up, and will give me a good basis to start with.
I've got probably a dozen old Ideal and Lyman manuals, but haven't purchased any new manuals in over a decade. The old ones see much more use for my needs and cast bullets, or even some jacketed occasionally.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I keep an eye out at gun shows for older manuals from Ideal, Lyman, or RCBS and buy those.
Good advice there! I too collect the old ones when I can find them. Years ago I had good luck finding manuals & how to books (reloading and otherwise) at thrift and second hand stores but the last few years nothing.

Wm.