Grandson First Buck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Grandson First Buck

Post by crs »

Grandson had taken turkey, pheasants, hogs, does, and a few exotics, but never a buck, so I gave him a hunt for his high school graduation present. He shot this 10 + pointer Monday morning on a ranch near Victoria, TX:

7mm 08 with 150 grain bullet at less than 100 yards. The rack scored 151 and it and the cape are with taxidermist and the meat goes to processor tomorrow.

86er and sons hunted with us and oldest took a somewhat smaller buck with his bow and younger one use a 19 gauge muzzle loader double shotgun loaded with round balls to take a doe.

It rained both days, but that did not dampen the boys spirits. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Grandson First Buck

Post by BrianSH »

Is that the same 7-08 he's used all these years? If so, he's gonna grow up to be the dead shot "man with just one rifle."
- Brian
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes it is the same Howa 1500 rifle with a slip on pad to make it fit his arm length. After hunting season is over, I will try to move the barreled action with scope to the adult length stock that came with the rifle and see if it still shoots small groups.
I assume that you saw the little red spot just behind the right shoulder? It was a bit more noticeable where the bullet exited on the left side.
Last edited by crs on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome !!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is awesome for the three boys !!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Charles,
I'm not a rifle guy, and really don't know much about "fitting" stocks but there's a lot of good kahrma with that rifle and hunting with gumpaw all these years.
How about putting in a shim, along with a super thick recoil pad to take up space, and keeping the rifle the same all these years.
I've had a serious accuracy problem with my M77, leading to a severe confidence problem. Right now she shoots, or did a few years ago last time I shot her. I don't like to monkey with things that work, and things I don't understand, like stock bedding.
- Brian
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Congratulations Grandpa. Whose smile was bigger his or yours?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulation Gramps.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Beware the man with 1 rifle! Nothing wrong with 7-08! It's truly an all around cartridge. Your grandson certainly knows how to shoot - good work! Congratulations to you both!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool!! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congratulations to all. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Brian SH,
You may be onto something with your stock extension idea. I will definitely look into that.
When new, the rifle shot minute of angle for him, his mom, me , his uncle, etc. mmmm ?

With the "adult stock", it was not reliably accurate. My son took it back to the youth stock, replaced the scope mounts, and he and Troupe sighted it in and it was back to MOA. 8)

As my poker playing, college room mate always said, "Do not Kick a winner". :)
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks all. Yes, the boys made us proud.
The rain washed out the axis hunt for the "adults" so 86er took us all for a spin in the bay in his fishing boat - kids all loved that, but this grandpa just put on a life jacket ( great insulated vest on a cool day) and enjoyed the ride.

He will be up just before Christmas and we will try to get out for some outdoor activity.
Brandon and Troupe are very competitive and want to see who can break the most clays at skeet. Either can outshoot me with a shotgun now and I guess that is way it should be.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

crs wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:39 am Brian SH,
You may be onto something with your stock extension idea. I will definitely look into that.
When new, the rifle shot minute of angle for him, his mom, me , his uncle, etc. mmmm ?

With the "adult stock", it was not reliably accurate. My son took it back to the youth stock, replaced the scope mounts, and he and Troupe sighted it in and it was back to MOA. 8)

To me, stock bedding accuracy falls into the "dark arts" where you have to sacrifice small furry animals at the right time, under the right moon, in the right season.
- Brian
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nothing like that memory of the first buck deer! Congratulations to the young hunter!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BrianSH wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:05 am

To me, stock bedding accuracy falls into the "dark arts" where you have to sacrifice small furry animals at the right time, under the right moon, in the right season.
- Brian
Honestly bedding isn't that much of a black art! Biggest worry is 'do I have release agent in every nook & cranny!?!?' Brownells acraglass kit, read the instructions and do the job.
Ruger used to put a pressure point in the barrel channel, designed to put UP pressure on barrel as it heated up. Just feel along the barrel channel towards the tip. If it's there a round file will remove it. Also see if the wood has rub mark's, dark spots, remove those too. Betcha you can get it to MOA easily.

Also, Christmas is coming and an aftermarket stock from Boyd's would probably be a great present!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:45 am
BrianSH wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:05 am

- Brian
Honestly bedding isn't that much of a black art! Biggest worry is 'do I have release agent in every nook & cranny!?!?' Brownells acraglass kit, read the instructions and do the job.
Ruger used to put a pressure point in the barrel channel, designed to put UP pressure on barrel as it heated up. Just feel along the barrel channel towards the tip. If it's there a round file will remove it. Also see if the wood has rub mark's, dark spots, remove those too. Betcha you can get it to MOA easily.

Also, Christmas is coming and an aftermarket stock from Boyd's would probably be a great present!
Without hijacking the thread, I did get her to shoot 3/4 back in the early 90's. Didn't get shot again until 13 years later, and it was still on tgt, shooting tight. This after moving to Omaha, Las Vegas, Chicago, Las Vegas, Waco, Oklahoma City, and back to TX. Maybe she's ok, and I should finally relax!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Either way your grandson/ family is using it and doing a fine job of it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!