1858 Timing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

1858 Timing

Post by Old Ironsights »

Was playing with my Uberti 1858 and discovered that one out of three cylinders has a timing problem.

I have 2 OEM cylinders and 1 R&D .45 ACP.

One OEM and the R&D work perfectly.

The other OEM doesn't.

It simply won't hit TDC and lock unless I either "forcefully" cock the hammer or manually give it a near 3mm turn.

Most distressing is that the hammert will still rom on the cap even if the cylinder is not fully locked. :shock:

I can't see any difference in the feed pawl cuts, so I'm stumped. :?

Hate to throw away an OEM cylinder if I don't have to....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1858 Timing

Post by Ray »

Hopefully steve young will soon give you an expert opinion.

Having spare cylinders work without fitting/timing seems to be the exception rather than the rule. None of the ones I've tried have worked and I have tried several. I have revolvers (19) made by pietta, uberti, and a.s.m. and have bought three or four spare cylinders over the years and none have worked and I don't have the patience to make them work.

B.T.W. the remington is the only one that a spare cylinder makes sense, the other designs are not quite tactical reload friendly.
m.A.g.a. !
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The myth of interchangeable cylinders. Yes, they are factory fitted. If after market spares function, it is pure luck.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Old Ironsights wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:27 pm
The other OEM doesn't.

It simply won't hit TDC and lock unless I either "forcefully" cock the hammer or manually give it a near 3mm turn.

Most distressing is that the hammer will still rom on the cap even if the cylinder is not fully locked. :shock:

I can't see any difference in the feed pawl cuts, so I'm stumped. :?

Hate to throw away an OEM cylinder if I don't have to....
I think you're looking in the wrong place... Here's an idea...

Check the dimensions of the bolt-locking-notches on that problem cylinder -- and I suspect you'll find the answer there! They could be slightly undersized, maybe the lead-in angle is wrong, or perhaps there is a burr on each ("forcing" that cylinder to lock up could easily displace metal).

Don't mess with the locking bolt itself, as we know that's OK from the other 2 cylinders.

Hope this helps!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was fortunate years ago to buy an extra cylinder for a Ruger single six from ebay and have it fit. I hope it works out.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:27 pm
Most distressing is that the hammert will still rom on the cap even if the cylinder is not fully locked. :shock:
That gives me the willies for sure! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Instead of tossing it, why not see if it would work with another Uberti 1858? If it does, you could sell it - at least partially fund the next cylinder.

I had one like that years ago and offered it free here if the taker would pay the postage. I think it bounced once or twice before landing with someone who's gun it worked with.

I have a Uberti 1858. I'd be happy to try it. :D