Marlins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Henry357158
Levergunner

Marlins

Post by Henry357158 »

Any of you Marlin guys seem or know of new Marlin quality? My LGS has new 357 mag Marlins in stock that actually look and feel great.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Marlins

Post by Griff »

I keep hearing folks say that the new Marlins are junk... but, like a lot of other things, I think that's more parroting what they've read and heard others say... without really looking at what was on the shelf.

I've had a couple of folks that get their stuff directly, vs. from some impersonal warehouse, where it's been sitting around for who-knows-how-long, say that they've found a marked increase in Marlin quality... At least in the 1894 line, as these are cowboy gunsmiths.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I recently bought this 94 CST, .357 Magnum and I'm thrilled with it. Feeds everything I've run through it, .38 Spls and Mags, hollow points and semi-wadcutters. Fit and finish are excellent! When I get my suppressor stamp back it's going to be my backyard thumper with a nice heavy LFP and a subsonic powder charge.
I have several Marlins, and have had many others, but I didn't own one for a very long time. The first one I ever bought was a '70s vintage 1894 in .357 Magnum. I couldn't get that rifle to feed more than three rounds with anything before it would lock up and I would have to remove the lever and bolt to free the jamb. This was way before the internet and couldn't fine anyone to fix it. Many years went by and I picked up an 1894P at a show for $250 because I thought it looked cool. I knew the seller and he told me if I had any problems, he would buy it back. That little carbine shoots great and I still have it.

Anyway, I think the peeps at Marlin/ Remington finally figured out how to make leverguns again. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Henry357158
Levergunner

Post by Henry357158 »

My LGS has several brand new 1894’s right now and I looked at all of them and sights are straight, the wood to metal fit is really good , lever a little tight like a brand new lever should, felt like after a few rounds it would be really smooth. I think they’ve done a good job on those 1894’s. The checkering is all that’s lacking. I love my Henry but absolutely no aftermarket parts. You can’t do anything for or to them. I like scout set ups and that’s out of the question. No way to work on the trigger. No steel bases, only Henry bases on steel pistol calibers at least. You can do a skinner set up but mine needs a foot tall front sight. I don’t mind a little taller one but dang!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

From what I've heard the latest Marlins are very nicely fitted, and the OC issues they had when Remington took over have been fixed. I don't purchase new Marlins, as they're not interesting to me. But it seems they've turned around their problems. I hope that means they'll do well, and remain in business for years to come!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

I didn't believe it could happen, but I have to admit that the current crop of new Marlins are looking pretty good. Checked out a new 1895 Guide Gun (stainless w/walnut stocks) the other day and was truly impressed. Wood to metal fit was as good as the last JM guns and action cycled nice and smooth. They still have to work on their polishing, however. Metal finish is not up to the older Marlin standard. But it is encouraging to see the improvement and wish them the best and hope they can make a go of it long-term. I would like to see them re-introduce traditional-style carbines in all their action sizes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Latest Rifleshooter has an article about Marlin Texan, 30-30, has some engraving, factory receiver sight. Even has some gold inlay.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm Latest Rifleshooter has an article about Marlin Texan, 30-30, has some engraving, factory receiver sight. Even has some gold inlay.
Yes, Marlin also started a custom shop after over a century of not having one!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 am
GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm Latest Rifleshooter has an article about Marlin Texan, 30-30, has some engraving, factory receiver sight. Even has some gold inlay.
Yes, Marlin also started a custom shop after over a century of not having one!
They bought Dakota Arms several years ago as their "custom shop". The only way to get a 39A is through the custom shop..... just pony up $3000 and they will build you one. :roll:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm glad to hear about the improvement as a Marlin levergun in 45-70 is on my short list... :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you have a Henry .357 the best thing you could ever do for it would be to put a Skinner peep sight on it. I promise you it will turn it into a new rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I bought another REMarlin 336Y in .30WCF this year, paid $394.00 for it (my first one I bought a couple of years back I sold to a friend). Both of these 336Y's are a base model, hardwood stocks, not sure what type of coating they use, seems like cerakote, black bolt, just your basic low-budget levergun with a 16.25" barrel. Both have been excellent shooters, the fit and finish have been good, accurate, no feeding issues, and the forearm is thin. I like the 336Y a lot, and I'm glad I bought it...I think Marlin is back... :)
OUTDATED-70524_Marlin-336Y-(Order#70524).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.