Went hunting this AM !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Went hunting this AM !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last night and this AM I took my circa 1963 Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 270 WIN . Hadn’t shot it in over a year , it had been in the safe the whole time . I had worked up loads with five different bullets that were pretty much the same POI at 50 and 100 yards . But after getting to the house this morning I decided to take it to the range and make sure . So since I was going anyway I took my 6.5-06 and 26 Nosler hadn’t hunted with or fired either since the 2016 season . The 6.5-06 was only a single load but I have four loads with 130ish grain bullets for the 26 . So once over I tried the 270 at 50 first . The first shot was about an inch high from what it was supposed to be but out of an unfouled barrel . So i shot one each the other four and another of the first and they were all inside 1 1/2” including the first from the unfouled barrel . Pulled the 6.5-06 out and shot one from clean barrel and a second at 100 they were in less then an inch and 3” high like it was supposed to be . Pulled the 26 out and shot the first aNd it was where it was supposed to be followed by the next three all with different bullets at 100 yards . So I was done with the 26 as well . My 270 was plenty cool by then so I wanted to try one of all five at 100 and they were all inside a small coffe can lid . So I expended 17 rounds for nothing more then piece of mind . Incidentally my 270 is loaded with one each of the five loads that guns being used in a couple spots were 75 yards is max :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Went hunting this AM !

Post by piller »

That sounds plenty good to me. Hopefully there will be a worthwhile deer walk out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Went hunting this AM !

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm That sounds plenty good to me. Hopefully there will be a worthwhile deer walk out.
I’m not that worried about size anymore . I would like to go somewhere this season where I could stretch the 26 out to say 450 yards . About the longest shot I can get in any of my normal places is maybe 175 yards .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !