Returning home !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Returning home !

Post by 6pt-sika »

It appears my old Ruger #1H in 416 REM Mag may very well be coming home . I sold it to my next door neighbor a couple years ago and he wants an anvil I have . So if we can come to an amicable agreement I suppose I’ll have a 416 again . My first 416 REM Mag was a rebarreled Interams Mark X Whitworth that started life as a 375 H&H . Then I bought this Ruger and sold the Mark X , never killed anything with the Ruger other then rocks and paper . If I get it back I’m 100% certain that will change 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Returning home !

Post by AJMD429 »

As my friend used to say, "that would make a great feral-cat gun...." :o :shock: :? :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's funny, the last rifle I made for myself while in gummsmiff school was a 375 H&H on a Mauser, extended mag box, English walnut stock- I have not shot it yet! That was 25 years ago. Why not you ask? Just haven't had a need for it... I've got brass dies and bullets but not that high of a priority.

Hope you get a good deal on your 416!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am It's funny, the last rifle I made for myself while in gummsmiff school was a 375 H&H on a Mauser, extended mag box, English walnut stock- I have not shot it yet! That was 25 years ago. Why not you ask? Just haven't had a need for it... I've got brass dies and bullets but not that high of a priority.
That kind of thing is a good sign you're living in the U.S.A. - we have the luxury of 'things' we don't need.

Nothing wrong with that - it is an indication of a good society. It's been attained before in some easy-to-thrive-in tropical nations, but is it a rare thing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 am
GunnyMack wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am It's funny, the last rifle I made for myself while in gummsmiff school was a 375 H&H on a Mauser, extended mag box, English walnut stock- I have not shot it yet! That was 25 years ago. Why not you ask? Just haven't had a need for it... I've got brass dies and bullets but not that high of a priority.
That kind of thing is a good sign you're living in the U.S.A. - we have the luxury of 'things' we don't need.

Nothing wrong with that - it is an indication of a good society. It's been attained before in some easy-to-thrive-in tropical nations, but is it a rare thing.
If you wanna be totally honest and TECHNICAL about the whole gun thing what a person ACTUALLY needs is quite small .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hope you get a good deal on your 416!
In my lifetime I've owned two 375 H&H MAG's and two 416 REM MAG's and in both cases an Interarms Mark X Whitworth for the first and a Ruger #1H for the second . And while I've not been to AK or Africa I have used both 375's for deer and the Mark X 416 for a deer . Yes they were more then adequate , but if ya got uhm ya might as well use uhm !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya, I figger if& when I go on another elk hunt I'll use it. Or maybe a moose hunt.. bear maybe.
Shame it's been sitting so long the recoil pad has kind of oozed wider and flat. It was a sorbathane pad I got real cheap. Apparently that stuff was designed for horse hooves between shoe and hoof. I have a new pad hanging in inventory but again no real need to do it...
What I should do is get a mould and start playing with loads, maybe springtime!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hope you get a chance to hunt with it. I have never shot any caliber like that. Some day!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 am I hope you get a chance to hunt with it. I have never shot any caliber like that. Some day!
Oh yeah that’s a given ! I killed with the other 416 I had so I have no qualms about potting a deer with this one when I get it back . Of course it’ll only be a whitetail .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Ruger #1H 416 REM Mag I used to own finally made it home to roost today !
7A8FEE55-C74D-4AF5-8F02-CE04B82E3261.jpeg
2BE888D0-C066-410D-8DE4-C2B26191E0D2.jpeg
E1C77D76-6C37-4D8E-A87C-83E4B91A98D1.jpeg
E1C77D76-6C37-4D8E-A87C-83E4B91A98D1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice, grats on getting it back. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:59 pm Nice, grats on getting it back. 8)
Thanks !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice wood! Seems like all the older #1's had great wood. Boy how I love fancy wood!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm Nice wood! Seems like all the older #1's had great wood. Boy how I love fancy wood!!!
That’s basically true ! Although I bought a 1B that was made in the last 8 or 9 years that was pretty decent . This gun is an early 90’s if I remember correctly . I had a 257 Bob and a 280 REM/7mm Express (so marked) that were 1976 guns and they both had killer wood . They also sold well for good profit when I liquidated them .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

416rem mag. That is a great cartridge 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 am 416rem mag. That is a great cartridge 8)
Over the years I've messed with the 375 H&HMAG , 416 REM MAG , 416 Rigby , 458 WIN MAG and the 505 Gibbs as far as Afrikanar cartridges are concerned and I gotta say my fav is the 375 H&H , but the 416 Rem Mag is a relatively close second .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:47 pm
Over the years I've messed with the 375 H&HMAG , 416 REM MAG , 416 Rigby , 458 WIN MAG and the 505 Gibbs as far as Afrikanar cartridges are concerned and I gotta say my fav is the 375 H&H , but the 416 Rem Mag is a relatively close second .
No experience at all except for a few rounds of 375 but that aside I always was impressed with the numbers from 404 Jeffry.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Congratulations! That is one beautiful rifle!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rexster wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:04 am Congratulations! That is one beautiful rifle!
Thanks
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:47 pm
No experience at all except for a few rounds of 375 but that aside I always was impressed with the numbers from 404 Jeffry.
My gunsmith friend that’s into CZ 550’s already has them in 375 , 416 and 505 . And for awhile there we were watching for a 550 in 404 . Never will forget back in the early to kid 70’s Elgin Gates had a series of articles in “Gun World Magazine” and in one article he had been separated from his rifles and borrowed three from a PH . They were a 375 H&H , 404 Jeffery and the 505 Gibbs .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

There is something so very “perfect” about the Ruger No. 1, in my opinion. Not only is the rifle, itself, is a thing of beauty, the No. 1 stock fits me superbly. Being left-eye-dominant, I love the way a No. 1 is beautifully ambidextrous.

I will admit that the iconic photo of Frederick Courtenay Selous, posing with his single-shot Farquharson rifle, chambered for .461 Gibbs, and the bustards, is one of my favorite images of the older Africa. I did not grow up in a family with firearms. It was a strong interest in reading about Nineteenth-/early-Twentieth Century Africa that did much to kindle my interest in firearms.

In the Nineties, when I was dreaming of MMBA, I sold or traded my Miroku~Browning 1885 .45-70, and got a .375 H&H No. 1, to “back-up” my lefty .375 H&H lefty Winchester 70 Safari Express. The MMBA idea faded, as it became apparent that western North America was much more suited to an open-itinerary, self-paced walk-about with a rifle and a favored dog, or two. I later added another No. 1, the shorter-barreled .45-70 Govt, combining classic European style with one of the USA’s classic big-bore cartridges.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.