Remington R51 9mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Remington R51 9mm

Post by 2ndovc »

I was at my Dealer's place picking up an old 1891 Mosin Nagant sporter this afternoon, another refugee from CA. He's just gotten in a pile of Remington R51 9mm Second Gen pistols. He gave me one for the $250 he paid for it to go test it out, "Use it, and abuse it" is what he said, and let him know how it holds up.

The first issued R51s were full of problems, but it look like they have the issues ironed out. We'll see shortly. :D

I've had it in a pocket holster all day working around the house and yard. It's a bit heavier than my M&P Shield due to the aluminum frame and about 1/2" of an inch longer but I like how it fits my hand. The trigger is just fantastic, just a little take up and very crisp break.

Going to be fun to break it in and see what it will do.. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Remington R51 9mm

Post by wm »

I look forward to hearing more. It has been lurking on my to buy list but with the quality issues Remington had with the first generation and the ongoing issues with the RP series I've been reluctant. Life's too short to waste time on crappy guns.

Wm.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm with you there. I was really disappointed with the first issued guns, I thought they were a neat looking pistol. From what I've read / watched on the net, the new versions work quite well, especially after the first fifty rounds or so. Hoping to get a chance to stop and try it out this week. One reviewer was whining that his didn't work well with Russian steel cased ammo, though it worked perfectly with Winchester 124s and other quality hollow points. Kind of petty if you ask me. The Russian stuff is pretty lousy and really dirty.

Like I said, going to be fun to try it out. :D

jb 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They look good, for sure. Hopefully they fixed the bugs.

I just can't get warmed up to 'striker-fired' pistols though. I want to see, and control, the hammer, just like with leverguns. That's why my 'little-semiauto' is a SIG-938 - it handles just like a miniature 1911. I grudgingly use a Glock as a 'chore' gun sometimes, but more because the finish is better than my stainless 1911 at resisting rust.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not always my first choice either, the pistol I find myself carrying the most is a Sig 238 around town. However, there are some places I go that I'd rather pack something a little more potent. I have pocket sized pistols from .38spl to .45ACP, though one of my favorites is a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Mag.
Honestly, just something fun to do to keep my ADD in check. :D

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I, too, am eager to hear how it performs for you. i prefer 1911s, but I always liked the looks of the original, and am slowly warming to the 9 mm. Also ready to do my part to support Big Green if they can get it right.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had one for several months and it worked very well. Digested almost everything I fed it. I also have two of the original 51s which are .380 and really fit your hand. Why oh why didn't they just chamber it in 9mm and let it go at that? I know they felt what they did was OK but it's just too big, too heavy and ugly. I gave it to a Grandson who admired it. I'm sorry, but I wanted a pocket pistol for everyday carry and it just is not one. I'm back to the original 51.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

1st or 2nd Gen -- fixed and reliable now, or not... My question is...

* Does it come with a FLASH GORDON Fan Club Membership Card ? ? ?

Oh well... Guess I need more coffee this morning...

Good luck to you though! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My first though was more " Buck Rogers". :wink:

Going to try and stop by the range tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Can't hurt to have another 9mm in the house.

jb 8)

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I think it's neat. Looks like a ray gun.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I "fought" plastic guns for quite a while (what the &^*! is a striker fired gun?). The first one I shot felt OK (?)in my hand but had a terrible trigger, long and stiff (keep it clean!). Then just a few years ago I looked at a Ruger LC9s and I was looking at the Remington 51 also, but was scared off by all the troublesome reports, both public and on forums. My only source of gun info is my computer as there isn't much for gun stores in my town (one real "gun store" and one box store that sells guns and a pawn shop, Most new gun purchases are made on line). Haven't seen anything new about them, no tests of "newer" model 51s, so I'll stick to the old tried and true 1911 style gun or a revolver...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I "fought" plastic guns for quite a while (what the &^*! is a striker fired gun?). The first one I shot felt OK (?)in my hand but had a terrible trigger, long and stiff (keep it clean!). Then just a few years ago I looked at a Ruger LC9s and I was looking at the Remington 51 also, but was scared off by all the troublesome reports, both public and on forums. My only source of gun info is my computer as there isn't much for gun stores in my town (one real "gun store" and one box store that sells guns and a pawn shop, Most new gun purchases are made on line). Haven't seen anything new about them, no tests of "newer" model 51s, so I'll stick to the old tried and true 1911 style gun or a revolver...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...