Nice little levergun writeup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Nice little levergun writeup

Post by AJMD429 »

http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/re ... nss/325928

....on leverguns vs semiautos for defense.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nice little levergun writeup

Post by jeepnik »

So, the author figured out what a bunch of us have known for decades. I can't agree with his thoughts about using a pistol cartridge chambered long gun. If I'm going to carry a long gun it is going to be in a rifle cartridge. As a fellow once said, a handgun is used to fight your way to a rifle. While I also disagree with a lot of the fluff that fellow spouts, I do agree with that bit.

And that rifle cartridge would never be something like a .223. 30 caliber or better. If I hit something I want it to know it's been hit.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Being an 80 year old man I will say that I liked the article. It was not written to us but to new shooters. It might bring some here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - I don't think anyone here will experience an epiphany reading the article, but it is nice to get such information out to the 'regular' gun owners out there, particularly the new ones, many of whom don't have an older relative guiding them, but only have the desire to shoot guns, and whatever news-stand magazines they read, or whatever [ :| ] they encounter on their 'social media'.

As far as 'home defense' I would not feel under-gunned with a levergun in a 'pistol' caliber, after seeing what they do to 250-lb deer that are in far better shape than most bad-guys. Among the common leverguns out there, the 'choice' boils down to something like a 30-30 or 45-70 in a six-shot gun, versus a 357 or 44 Mag or 45 Colt in a ten-shot gun - and since bad-guys tend to travel in packs, and [ sit down, I don't want to shock anyone :wink: ] I occasionally miss what I'm shooting at, I think I'd prefer ten shots of 44 Mag to six of 30-30, 35 Rem, or even 45-70. So if I grab a levergun for a 'social' situation, I'd prefer a 'pistol' chambering (and if I want lots of power I do have an 8-shot 454-Casull levergun, and an 8-shot 500 S&W levergun, either of which would re-educate any 2-legged predator I can imagine, regardless of how hyped-up they were on drugs, or what armament they were wearing... :twisted: ).

Now if it is a really nasty social situation, I'd prefer a Star-Trek phaser set on 'vaporize', a flamethrower, some hand-grenades, or [sigh - I hate to be so trite, but...] an AR-15 with a 60-round drum.

But I'm lucky enough to live in a time and place where the levergun is likely to meet my needs, and I like to see the article let other gun owners out there know it's OK to think of a levergun as something more than a quaint way to hunt medium-sized game. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a .480 caliber model 92. 9 shots of 325 grain Hornady XTP should stop most interpersonal social crisis situations. It can be reloaded by the spring loaded gate or by removing the magazine tube. The model 92 in a pistol caliber of .357 or larger should be a useful tool for self defense.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Fine article except the silly bit about only someone as skilled as Jerry Miculek being able to get 10 rounds off in 6 seconds with a semi-auto. In the Marines we had a closing drill, failure to stop on three targets advancing on you from 7 yards. I think it was around 2 seconds before they made it to you. I never found it difficult to put all 9 rounds where they needed to be to get a full score on that drill.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

45 colt in a long gun is quite awesome. I've taken a multitude of critters with mine. I shoot it open sights so light and range are important to me. But when the hunt is an invite or important, I carry old faithful, a 74 ADL .30-'06.

TomF