BLR magazine problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
charlielima
Levergunner

BLR magazine problem

Post by charlielima »

OK, another new guy question.
Just got a new, in box, BLR Lightweight 81 in 300 Winchester Magnum. Been working up loads & getting a basic zero. Magazine problem, ( & I got a spare from factory via Cabelas so I have 2), magazine wont seat if bolt is open, only when bolt is closed. Mag is hard to seat "slowly" magazine may not seat fully or the top round of 3 comes out of magazine. If I seat magazine forcefully either the top round comes loose, or if it stays in magazine it wont feed at all or it jams half way in chamber. Is this common for BLR mags, did I just luck out & get a pair of weird ones, or do I just need to keep trying until I get smarter that the rifle?
Thanks,
CLH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR magazine problem

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've never had a problem with the BLR mags except for coming up with the money to buy them. Suckers are expensive. Nearly all of the BLRs here are short action, 15 or so of them and we've never had the problem you describe. Maybe someone else will be able to add some intelligence to this.
Welcome to the fire.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW

When loading any magazine with a belted magnum like the .300 Winchester Mag, care has to be taken that the belt of any cartridge doesn't get on the wrong side of the cartridge below it in the magazine.

Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

BLR magazines are costly, and I anticipate Browning is their only manufacturer. How durable are they? That is, do feed lips flex out of time or fatigue? Or does follower spring fatigue? How reliable do you expect magazines to remain were you to speed change magazines, aligning magazine and magazine well imperfectly and completing its installation with force?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
charlielima
Levergunner

Post by charlielima »

"When loading any magazine with a belted magnum like the .300 Winchester Mag, care has to be taken that the belt of any cartridge doesn't get on the wrong side of the cartridge below it in the magazine"

Sounds like I need to load mag with same procedure as rimmed cartridge magazine, I.E. '95 Win, & Mosin-Nagant ?
Will give that a try.
Thanks,
CLH
charlielima
Levergunner

Post by charlielima »

double checked the possible the cartridge belt problem. If rounds are loaded with the base of cartridge against the back of magazine, the belts will all line up on top of each other. Only way I can see that a "belt" could get in front of another is if the cartridges have short bullets and can be loaded with the base not touching back of magazine & still fit into the mag.

Part of learning curve with my new BLR is that the magazine will not seat fully if the hammer is not completely down against the rear of the bolt. also it does need to be seated somewhat sharply against the closed bolt or the top (sometimes even the second) round will jump out of the magazine & not feed.
Maybe I should have stuck with Winchesters, Marlins, & Savages. :!: