S&W Model 19 - With Pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

S&W Model 19 - With Pic

Post by Blaine »

I might have an opportunity to get a LNIB, 1979ish Model 19. It looked like a 5-6 inch bbl. Are they tough enough to stand up to hunting loads every once in awhile? I'd hate to shoot it loose if I got it.
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W Model 19

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had several, very nice sixguns. Once and awhile shooting heavy loads will unlikely hurt it. I like shooting the big boomers, so I went wih an N frame. Other than that, the 19s and 66s I've had have been great revolvers.

jb :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The Model 19 is a .357 revolver. It can handle any standard .357 load. Will it hold up to as many rounds as an N-frame S&W or, say, a Ruger GP100? I doubt it. But it will likely hold up to more full-house rounds than your hand/wrist will! Being somewhat smaller/lighter than some of the alternatives, it makes a very nice revolver for field carry.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The 19 is perfectly capable of hot 158gr or heavier and is a joy to shoot for me.The LBT 180wfn shoot exceptionally well for me. There’s a flat cut on the bottom of the barrel to clear the crane and that’s where cracking can occur with the hot lower grain weight bullets. The heavier weight bullets are long enough to engage the throat without allowing hot gas to rush passed the bullet. The hot 125s were the culprit for cracking that flat spot.
Last edited by Tycer on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 pm The 19 is perfectly capable of hot 158gr or heavier and is a joy to shoot for me.The LBT 180lfn shoot exceptionally well for me. There’s a flat cut on the bottom of the barrel to clear the crane and that’s where cracking can occur with the hot lower grain weight bullets. The heavier weight bullets are long enough to engage the throat without allowing hot gas to rush passed the bullet. The hot 125s were the culprit for cracking that flat spot.
My field loads would be my 160 and 180 grain hardcast at about 1100fps, or a hair less.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I love the old Smiths, but the K frames cannot be beat.
I have a 2.5" RB 19 and a 4" 66.
As others mentioned, as long as you stay away from light, fast loads, you will be fine. I don't hot rod either of mine, but they will take standard loads easy enough.
My 66 was made right around 79, also.
You won't be sorry, Blaine. These are my most used magnum handguns, by far. Very light, trim, and easy to carry. Great shooters.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In the late 70s I was shooting IPSC. I used several different revolvers and a friend of mine used a 4" Mdl 19. It didn't take long for the frame to bend and the gas ring in the front of the cylinder to come loose. We were shooting loads that made major on the load scale. A gunsmith straightened the frame and fixed the gas ring, but my friend retired the Mdl 19 not long after wards.
An occasional use of hunting level loads won't hurt it, but a steady diet of them will shake it loose fairly quickly.

After he killed the Mdl 19, and I burned out the forcing cone and shot a Python loose we both switched to the Dan Wesson Heavy barrel guns.

Oh and my Mdl 28 has needed retiming on the average of every 3,000 rounds so they are not immune to wear either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a 19-2 4” that I picked up a year or so ago . I like it well enough . I’d like to find a modestly priced 19-2 2 1/2” but only time will tell . Over the last few years I’ve been hung up on Smith’s with pinned barrels and recessed cylinders . Certainly not a necessity but always nice to have .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

had my 6 inch M19 since the 70s and had no problems with it. I did shoot some Super Vel in it and a lot of medium hand loads bus never any loads that pushed the upper pressure limits. It is still my most accurate center fire handgun.
I also have a 4 inch M19 for certain carry situations, but my field gun is the 6 incher.
If you use it, but not abuse it, it should never fail you.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, good luck with that K frame. It should be fairly pleasant to shoot with the longer barrel and the heavy cast. I found the 4-inchers barked more than I thought they should. Of the three Smith frames in .357, I have had the K in a Model 19, the L in 686 and the N in a Model 28, and would probably go back to the L frame with 6-inch for a hunting/woods companion. You'll need to post photos y'know! 8)
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Love my S&W's in 357 Mag or 38 Special! That 19 should be good to go with a good charge of 2400 powder!
20181110_201726.jpg
It was bath night this past Saturday and gave everyone a good cleaning. All S&W, a mix of 357 Mag and 38 Special. The one on the right is the black sheep in the family, Ruger Bisely 357 Mag.

Mainehunter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned one since the late 1970's, but rarely shoot full hot .357 loads. They have a history of shooting loose, and even cracking the forcing cone if shot with those hot .357 loads, and done so much. Don't let anyone tell you they wont, as the history is fact, and not a myth.
I would not be concerned using them with hot hunting loads occasionally, and milder .357 or .38 loads the rest the time. Just not a steady diet of the heavy stuff. I've got a friend who retired from S&W and he saw a lot of them with those cracked forcing cones over the decades he worked there.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Do you guys think 750 is a fair price? It seems practically unused.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For a 19 to be worth $750 it would have to be a five screw like new in the box. 19's are everywhere and may be worth 5...6 tops.in the condition you describe. I could have had a 28 last week for 4....which is the economy version of the n frame 27 and you will never shoot an n frame loose with normal loads.

The 19 is nothing more than a model 10.....38 Spl. with target sights and a slightly longer cylinder. Even though it's a k frame, it still take a lot of shooting to loosen it up with normal mid range loads...Heavy bullets.....180' are too much for a k frame...will not be enjoyable shooting unless you push em 800. You need an n frame to shoot the 180's on a consistent basis.

For the amount of shooting you will most likely be using, it will be fine. It does make a better carry gun than an n-frame.

Your call..but I'd never pay that kind of money for a run of the mill Smith....a 27 yes.---6
Model A Uzi’s
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I recently saw a you tube vid with Miculec about the newly redesigned 19. Strengthened, tightened, toughened, and stated its as tough as an L frame.
Search it out, and see what you think.
- Brian
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BrianSH wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:04 pm I recently saw a you tube vid with Miculec about the newly redesigned 19. Strengthened, tightened, toughened, and stated its as tough as an L frame.
Search it out, and see what you think.
- Brian
I have the new 66. It’s built a lot like a Dan Wesson
Kind regards,
Tycer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is the gun that built Ruger... just sayin'
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In today's market $750 is the going price from what I see for one that's like new. By chance I just looked at a Model 19-4 a friend was selling two weeks ago. Also like new, with box and all the papers, and tools. It was fired, but showed no signs of being fired. He was asking $875, and I thought he was a bit high. But it sold quickly at the price with no argument, or reduction in his asking price.
The prices of nice condition S&W revolvers is going through the roof from what I see. I almost sold my 25-2 in .45 Colt last year when a guys offered me $1300. It's an 8 3/8" with presentation case. But I asked a friend who sells online at Gun Auction, and he told me the offer was too low. So I kept it. I gave $285 for it new when I bought it 40 years ago.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am In today's market $750 is the going price from what I see for one that's like new. By chance I just looked at a Model 19-4 a friend was selling two weeks ago. Also like new, with box and all the papers, and tools. It was fired, but showed no signs of being fired. He was asking $875, and I thought he was a bit high. But it sold quickly at the price with no argument, or reduction in his asking price.
The prices of nice condition S&W revolvers is going through the roof from what I see. I almost sold my 25-2 in .45 Colt last year when a guys offered me $1300. It's an 8 3/8" with presentation case. But I asked a friend who sells online at Gun Auction, and he told me the offer was too low. So I kept it. I gave $285 for it new when I bought it 40 years ago.
My inclination is to go ahead with this one. I, too, thought it was a bit high, but after checking around like new but fired in the box examples start at about 700 and go up. I think this will just be a plinker. I was worried about heavy loads but if I need to stomp something there's always my 629 PP. It will also be a F2F transaction.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 am this is the gun that built Ruger... just sayin'
I think the 19 is a gorgeous pistol, but for the price I’d rather buy a Security Six and more primers and bullets. Now a M58 for $750 I’d be inclined to get that. If it’s a revolver you always wanted tho, go for it and don’t look back. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am In today's market $750 is the going price from what I see for one that's like new. By chance I just looked at a Model 19-4 a friend was selling two weeks ago. Also like new, with box and all the papers, and tools. It was fired, but showed no signs of being fired. He was asking $875, and I thought he was a bit high. But it sold quickly at the price with no argument, or reduction in his asking price.
I kinda have a hard on to get a 29-2 4” and when I started watching I was simply amazed at what they’re bringing and some people were asking .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

6pt,
Hey! Me too! My dad bought me a brand new 6" 629 when I graduated from high school. For the princely sum of 350 bucks. :shock:
I've always liked Smith's. I just shoot them better than the other DA revolvers.
Last few years I've been itching for a 4" N. Mountain Gun would be nice.
I know I'd still carry my K's more though.
Oooh, I also want a 3" 66.
But if people think Blaine's prospect 19 is pricey.......... :shock:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OldWin wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:21 pm 6pt,
Hey! Me too! My dad bought me a brand new 6" 629 when I graduated from high school. For the princely sum of 350 bucks. :shock:
I've always liked Smith's. I just shoot them better than the other DA revolvers.
Last few years I've been itching for a 4" N. Mountain Gun would be nice.
I know I'd still carry my K's more though.
Oooh, I also want a 3" 66.
But if people think Blaine's prospect 19 is pricey.......... :shock:
We “had” a 29-2 6” in the shop about a year or so ago for $850 it was an honest 97-98% and like a fool I turned my nose up at it before we listed it online , MISTAKE it sold quickly .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They are a beautiful thing. Mine shoots wonderfully. Best of all, I find the 44 quite manageable in a 6" N frame.
I carried it quite a bit in a cross draw when riding four wheelers up north. It's effective range is quite surprising.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always had a love affair with S&W pistols. It started with a friend who owned a Model 19, and that gun made the decision for me to get mine. It was the first S&W I owned, and lead to owning over 40 of them from the early Schofield, and New Model #3, to the latest one that was my 25 in .45 Colt.
I've since sold off many of them to support my single shot rifle habit; but still have a dozen or so and wont sell them. The N frames are my favorite, but the Model 19 is a much better choice as a carry gun. Much lighter, but still enough power if you need to carry .357 Magnums on occasion.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of my older brothers had a Model 19 about 30 years ago. He shot it a lot with maximum power loads and it went out of time. Before he messed it up it was one of the most accurate pistols I ever fired. At 100 yards, the chicken silhouette was easy to hit with that pistol. It was not built to be an anvil, and did not stand up to abuse. If my brother would have kept the loads more reasonable, that pistol probably would have lasted a lot longer.

I am one who shoots some heavy loads in some of my pistols, but it is not a steady diet of heavy stuff. Sort of like keeping the engine below 3,000 rpm most of the time in my cars. Things just last longer if you don't go to the maximum all the time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 pm One of my older brothers had a Model 19 about 30 years ago. He shot it a lot with maximum power loads and it went out of time. Before he messed it up it was one of the most accurate pistols I ever fired. At 100 yards, the chicken silhouette was easy to hit with that pistol. It was not built to be an anvil, and did not stand up to abuse. If my brother would have kept the loads more reasonable, that pistol probably would have lasted a lot longer.

I am one who shoots some heavy loads in some of my pistols, but it is not a steady diet of heavy stuff. Sort of like keeping the engine below 3,000 rpm most of the time in my cars. Things just last longer if you don't go to the maximum all the time.
I'll be picking up this one later today. I expect that it will see a lot of use with cheap 130 grain fmj Specials. If I load up some hunting rounds they will be 180gr Aardvark hardcast at about 11-1200 fps. That's plenty. (And, I don't really hunt anymore)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
Before you load a whole batch of 180's watch the over all loaded cartridge length on those 180's......the crimp groove may be too far down and the heads will stick through the cylinder mouth. Rugers have longer cylinders than Smiths and will handle the crimp groove fine.

I push 180 Hornady jacketed to 1450 for my silhouette competition load..but that's out of a 10" Maximum. :D -------6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm Blaine,
Before you load a whole batch of 180's watch the over all loaded cartridge length on those 180's......the crimp groove may be too far down and the heads will stick through the cylinder mouth. Rugers have longer cylinders than Smiths and will handle the crimp groove fine.

I push 180 Hornady jacketed to 1450 for my silhouette competition load..but that's out of a 10" Maximum. :D -------6
Agreed, and that's good advice. I always check my OAL, and I use a Lee Factory Crimp and I can crimp any old place I desire. I think my load will be light enough not to worry about pushing the bullet too far down in the brass.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What type/brand of 180gr bullets you gonna use?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 pm What type/brand of 180gr bullets you gonna use?
A small company in Polesbo, WA...Aardvark....I'm not seeing them listed on Google. Too bad if they folded.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Duplicate posts
Last edited by Tycer on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 pm What type/brand of 180gr bullets you gonna use?
A small company in Polesbo, WA...Aardvark....I'm not seeing them listed on Google. Too bad if they folded.
I’ve got some LBT WFN 180s cast and sized .360” with my Alox 2138f/Beeswax 50:50 lube. I’ll send them to you. I have the mold. Nice alloy. Pretty hard as cast and will heat treat very hard.
Kind regards,
Tycer
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A few years ago Tycer sent me some of his i80 grain bullets. They ran through my Rossi 92 slick as snot. I wish I could buy them on the market, I still have some loaded rounds that I keep for that carbine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm
BlaineG wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 pm
I’ve got some LBT WFN 180s cast and sized .360” with my Alox 2138f/Beeswax 50:50 lube. I’ll send them to you. I have the mold. Nice alloy. Pretty hard as cast and will heat treat very hard.
That's very generous offer. I have a full gallon milk jug full and another half jug of 180s...more than I'll ever use. Perhaps pass them along to someone in need? 8) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I keep comin' back to this topic in the hopes of seein' pics... so I can be properly jealous! :P :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 am I keep comin' back to this topic in the hopes of seein' pics... so I can be properly jealous! :P :P :D
The seller, a forumite, has been busy. I'll pick it up for sure this afternoon.... I sold him a safe queen, and he mentioned he wanted to move this one.....*sigh* It's hard to thin the herd. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think your plan of what you'll shoot is a great one Blaine! Mine shoots as good today as ever, and I shoot mostly .38 Specials in mine. Yours will be as tight in 3 decades as it is when you get it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm I think your plan of what you'll shoot is a great one Blaine! Mine shoots as good today as ever, and I shoot mostly .38 Specials in mine. Yours will be as tight in 3 decades as it is when you get it!
:P :P I'd be 98 :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm I think your plan of what you'll shoot is a great one Blaine! Mine shoots as good today as ever, and I shoot mostly .38 Specials in mine. Yours will be as tight in 3 decades as it is when you get it!
:P :P I'd be 98 :lol: :lol:
Me too!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: S&W Model 19 - With Pic

Post by Blaine »

Sorry if I bored everyone, but this one was sort of a big deal for me. :P
19-4
6"
Original box and all the papers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:shock:
Sawheeet!!!
:mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Tycer
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I ain’t bored! I was waiting for pics! Very nice my 19 is a 4”.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Hard to beat a nice K frame like that,very hard!!!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh Blaine, now I've gotta go clean myself up.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sweet, Blaine -- and with handloaded target wadcutters, you can ignite matches. Don't miss that appointment now, son. :lol:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Really HAPPY for you Blaine fine looking S&W.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm Sweet, Blaine -- and with handloaded target wadcutters, you can ignite matches. Don't miss that appointment now, son. :lol:
What Bill said!

That should make tiny little groups.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm Sweet, Blaine -- and with handloaded target wadcutters, you can ignite matches. Don't miss that appointment now, son. :lol:
What Bill said!

That should make tiny little groups.

jb 8)
:wink: With my eyes, I'll be satisified with pop cans at fifty feet.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pmSorry if I bored everyone, but this one was sort of a big deal for me. :P
19-4
6"
Original box and all the papers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!