FWD from Russell Frederick Jr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

FWD from Russell Frederick Jr

Post by JReed »

Posting this on behalf of Russell Fredrick Jr. as he doesn't get over here much these days.

I was honored today to be able to shake the hand of and speak with a Guadalcanal Marine . . . He is 96 and sharp as he ever was . . . It was truly an honor and I am humbled . . . He is truly one of the greatest generation . . . Edited to add . . . What not many know is that I met this man in the Lowes parking lot on a call about a year and a half ago. His Marine Corps pin and hat caught my eye and I stopped to speak with him (probably longer than I should have but he deserved the time and I dont regret it) . . . During our initial conversation I learned that he was a machine gunner attached to a heavy weapons platoon . . . He was on the ridge over looking the airfield on Guadalcanal and had a navy man (due to them being cut off due to the Jap Navy) in his foxhole/fighting position . . . He told me had had never seen a navy man so happy to get back on a ship once they were reinforced . . . He fought all the way through Cape Gloucester and was a heavy weapons man on a half track up until him being shipped home . . . He is truly a Marine and I am honored to have met him . . . I am truly blessed . . .
46093263_1143564759136783_7243485060786028544_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: FWD from Russell Frederick Jr

Post by Blaine »

Salute....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. I've met quite a few veterans of the big-battles I've only read about. Tough stuff....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Awesome.

Was in Gettysburg couple of weeks ago and met another Marine. We were on Culps hill, little old man with a Marine cover on. Arthur was 85 yeas old. He was at Chosin Reservoir. He stood up straight about 2 inches taller when I told him I was a Marine as well. We both remembered our rifle serial numbers. Had a very good conversation with him.

It is moving to meet the men who made a difference in situations that were down right terrible.

Don
SGT USMC
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for doing this for Rusty Jr. I know his dad is proud of him, even more so now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Great! And I wonder about the Navy guy -- if he went from the frying pan to the fire. Those deadly long-range Japanese torpedoes sent a lot of our ships and men to the bottom around Guadalcanal.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Indeed an honor to shake that gentleman's hand.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! What an honor! I've met a few, but only one would talk..a Korean vet. He told me how after being captured he was able to kill the guard with a butt stroke from a rifle and escape.

I did shake the hand of...(can't remember his name) a little Italian guy with one leg from the Band of Brothers at a gunshow. ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering how few WWII veterans are still with us, it's always an honor to meet one and hopefully hear their story! The few still around that I've met, or know, are all cut from a different cloth than most today. You're lucky to have had the opportunity to meet one of them!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Sixgun,
Would you be referring to Bill "Wild Bill" Gaurnere (not sure about the spelling of the last name)? Gaurnere lost a log at the battle of Bastogne if I am not mistaken.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

RustyJr wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm Sixgun,
Would you be referring to Bill "Wild Bill" Gaurnere (not sure about the spelling of the last name)? Gaurnere lost a log at the battle of Bastogne if I am not mistaken.

RustyJr
Yes Rusty...that's the man.....he was a little skinny guy, probably 85 at the time...and still looked tough.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD