One hundred years ago today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

One hundred years ago today.

Post by 2ndovc »

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918 on the Western Front in France the guns finally stopped, bringing one of the bloodiest conflicts in human history to an end.

All I can say to all the veterans that have gone before and come after that were brave enough to run towards the sounds of the guns, thank you!

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: One hundred years ago today.

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Image +1

( click image to enlarge )
Old Veteran.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 am Image
Darryl, that's one heck of an interesting picture, thanks for posting.
Lest we forget.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

They desperately hoped that their incredible sacrifice would end all wars.
Their legacy is that we learned in the hardest way possible that we must also win the peace with fairness, justice and compassion.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Lest we forget.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served, no matter what role, no matter if it was wartime or not. To all who went whether drafted or volunteer, thank you.

By the way, who remembers why Jimmy Carter pardoned the draft dodgers?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Never forget!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unfortunately, I think the vast majority of Americans, including gun owners, have forgotten.

Otherwise we wouldn't have nearly the problems we have; if even 1% of gun owners consistently aggravated their legislators and pushed back politically, we would have much more freedom, and if 10% of us did that, we would never elect a Democrat, and never pass gun control legislation.

Unfortunately, most gun owners and 'sportsmen' don't become politically active until the last minute, or until their particular 'hobby' is threatened. :roll: They don't think of the stability of the nation as nearly as important as they do the convenience of practicing their own shooting sport. :|

There is a lot of flag-waving on Veterans Day, just like a lot of fireworks on the 4th of July, but when it comes to what really matters to defend freedom for those of us who aren't on the battlefield - things like attending city-council meetings, writing legislators, informing the few journalists who actually are objective, campaigning for non-RINOs in the primaries, pushing back against the news media, going to school board meetings to make sure anti-gun stuff isn't slipped into the curriculum, or even something as basic as spending half as much money contributing to pro-gun organizations as we do buying new toys, the overwhelming majority of gun owners are certainly a great disappointment to those who have sacrificed life and limb for liberty.

I participate and/or attend ceremonies every year at Veterans Day with two kinds of sorrow in my heart - one for the individuals and families who paid the ultimate sacrifice so the rest of us could live a life of luxury and freedom from fear, and the other sadness when I see so many in our nation (particularly the 'sportsmen') who do almost nothing to help preserve that freedom. :( :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

That war is remembered in my family. My paternal grandfather was killed in France although he died at Ft Leavenworth.

Gases in France he was sent to the hospital at Ft Leavenworth. He died of the Spanish Flu. The lung damage made the flu unsurvivable.

I inherited this when the oldest Marine in the family passed last year. Although, he died in Vietnam Nam it took decades for the Agent Orange to kill him.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Cpbe6fx
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Words to take to heart, Doc. Thanks.