Shaggy Mane

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Shaggy Mane

Post by Pete44ru »

While walking my dog this AM, I spotted some wild mushrooms growing in a grass lot, which I had never run across before today.

I didn't notice them there yesterday, but last night's rain must have brought them out.

They're called Shaggy Mane, and (per a mushroom collector website) are very edible, so I decided to eat them.

I knew that they don't "keep", so I rinsed them off, chopped them up & put them in our brunch omelets (I made omelets for my wife & I ), along with some cheese & diced onion.

They were mild-tasting, but good too - I don't think that type will stand up (not be tasted) in a heartier meal (like spicy soups or stews).

milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Shaggy Mane

Post by milton »

Those are very good mushrooms and make a great gravy.We call them ink caps as they turn into black"ink' as they die away.Just before they turn into ink is when they make a great gravy.One thing peculiar about them is they contain a "poison' that is alcohol soluble,if you drink wine or any alcohol with a meal of these the alcohol will activate the poison.I do not think the poison is necessarily bad but it can have some minor and odd effects on your urinary tract.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."