Multi-ball loads in 357 or other calibres

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Multi-ball loads in 357 or other calibres

Post by mickbr »

I saw a few threads on these over the years and was thinking of trying some out. Are these a myth, bad idea, or easy enough to do? I was thinking 3x .360 000buck might work just from a diameter and payload perspective. This would just be for fooling about, not trying to invent the best small game load. I'd also assume these may need to be fed singly into a lever action. Thanks for any suggestions.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Multi-ball loads in 357 or other calibres

Post by jhrosier »

I had shot some back in the day ( 1960-something) . They were commercial/experimental loads. Perhaps Winchester...
I think that they were 45 ACP.
more interesting than useful.
I can't think of why I might have wanted to hit something 3 times simultaneously with flyweight bullets spread out over 8 or 10 inches at 25 yds.
I recall seeing handloads, probably 357 mag, with two or three very short full wadcutters stacked up in the case.
Lyman used to offer such a mould in their line.

Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mickbr wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 pmI saw a few threads on these over the years and was thinking of trying some out. Are these a myth, bad idea, or easy enough to do? I was thinking 3x .360 000buck might work just from a diameter and payload perspective. This would just be for fooling about, not trying to invent the best small game load. I'd also assume these may need to be fed singly into a lever action. Thanks for any suggestions.
I think I found the key words in your post... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

If I ever find myself with enough time I'd like to recreate the old riot control load for the .30-40 Krag.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

thanks for that picture hawkcreek. Remingtons multi-ball load below for interest sake.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/gfr ... anBn/?ref=

castboolits turns up a few threads on it but they are a little more expert than me, which is why I was trying to gauge other opinions. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... mag-45colt
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

My .30-40 multi ball is still all theory in my head at this point. But instead of 2 balls of buckshot I'm thinking of getting a swage from the guy mentioned in the attached link. I think with projectiles shown in the link you could stack 3 or more in the long neck of the Krag case, same might apply to straight wall pistol cases.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/07 ... ts-part-1/

ETA: Here is the link to my old thread over on castboolits asking how I might put a cannelure around the neck of .30-40 brass for my experiment.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... cartridges
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is a .410 bore load like that for defensive use. I don't have anything to shoot it in, and have not bought it or tried it. As far as knowing anything about it, I could be a CNN correspondent on this issue because I have zero knowledge of the subject.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here is something I found that gives some information, sort of. Not quite what you are looking at, but it may help.
https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_8/f ... -ME3FNME0M
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just cut to the chase with a 12ga buckshot load.
If I used a rifle that was dedicated for S/D a light-for-calbre hollowpoint would be the way to go.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Remington at one time loaded 38spl with 2 000buck and 357mag with 3 000buck. Haven't seen them for donkeys years. Played around with loading them, but accuracy wasn't all that great. Rather use my Mossberg .410, now that has some pretty good thump to it!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I would have to look up my notes but I did some experiments with this back in the late 1980s early 90s and frankly determined they were a solution in search of a problem.

I did find one highly amusing use for them. Back in 1988 I was teaching my 12 year old nephew how to shoot and we were back at the 8 yard line and I loaded my old Ruger KGP-141 with 6 blanks & had him shoot it. Of course we went down to check the target right away and found nothing. Nephew was flabbergasted. I reassured him and we went back and this time I loaded the revolver with the double pellet loads and he shot. We checked the target and there were 12 holes.

Watching him try to figure that out was priceless. (and yes I let him in on what I did ……. we have shared many laughs over that in years since. He swears he is going to tell everyone that story during my eulogy someday.)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Im in agreement with the sentiment that the multi-ball loads arent practical for much, a regular light for caliber bullet, especially a flat point or hollow point will have better terminal effect for defensive use. Single ball extra-light loads are a different matter though. I use them for small game, grouse and snakes. Accuracy is fair to good, noise level is very low, and they are a lot of fun to shoot. The old Ideal and Lyman manuals often had round ball loads listed in many calibers, often listed as cellar loads or small game loads. I guess not many people shoot in their basement any more, but my family is anomalous is some regards.

The Hornady round balls work well, I coat them with lee Liquid Alox lube, and use 3 grs Uniqie or red Dot with a small tuft of dacron to keep the powder near the primer, and seat the fattest part of the ball just in the case neck with a very light crimp. Expanding the neck with a Lyman M die helps seat them without mashing the soft lead balls. 4 grs Red Dot and a .350" ball with dacron also works well in the 348. .457 ball with 6 1/2 grs Unique w dacron works great in the 45-70 and doesnt spook the large game if you take some grouse for camp chow. They also slay snakes well. No dacron resulted in bouncing a .457" ball off a largeish rattlesnakes head for me once, so i went back to the dacron for good ignition consistency.

I popped a great trophy grade bull mouse in my yard one night with a 30-30 round ball load. It was poaching my bird seed, I saw him when out for a star viewing and other personal matter moment in the yard of the cabin. I grabbed a rifle and a couple ball loads. Unfortunately they are hard to score properly when hit with the ball loads, so the potentially record bull never was scored for the records. A magpie had a nice treat the next day.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?