Scope with built in rangefinder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Scope with built in rangefinder

#1 Post by daisygordoninc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Have any of you found a scope with a built in rangefinder that you are happy with.
I know they are pretty spendy, but there have been times I would have liked to
have had one. This past hunt for moose up in Caribou District I saw a really large
bull with very large antlers but thought it was just out of range. I watched it for
20 minutes as it stood motionless behind a cow about 20 yards in front of it. He was
obviously following the cow and I believed as the cow followed the edge of the tree
line she would bring him closer to me. I was very much in the open and was afraid
of trying to stock him, because I would be seen and would be busted. I guessed it
to be about 350-400 yards where it stood but would like to have had a more accurate
estimate. I have tried range finders, 2 different ones and have had very little success
with them. I think usually I am not able to stand and hold still enough to get consistent
measurements. I've played with them around the house here and usually they give or three
different readings. Maybe I have not paid enough to get a good one. Someone must have
some ideas about this, or experience with it.

BlaineG
Posting leader...

Re: Scope with built in rangefinder

#2 Post by BlaineG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

I had a set of medium priced Bushnells and if there were no trees or bushs between me and what I was ranging, they worked just fine. In the woods I'd get false readings on trees and such. Also, the glass was fuzzy and the light gathering was poor. Honestly? I think a set of cheap Golf Rangers that you merge the two figures would work just as well.
If You Back Me Into A Corner There Will Not Be Enough Room For Both Of Us. :evil:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

#3 Post by marlinman93 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:27 am

Never had trouble getting good reading with a range finder if I was ranging a solid object like game or a tree, rock, etc. But if I ranged a grassy hillside they were not always very accurate. Seems they need something solid to aim at for good readings.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

cobrad
Levergunner

#4 Post by cobrad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Howdy folks, first post here.
I've had good results with good rangefinders, Leica and BR7 mostly. I had a couple cheap ones and they weren't worth bringing home.
A friend has the Burris Eliminator scope. After we got it all calibrated he ranged a target I had set at 750 yards and took a shot. He hit the bull, which was tennis ball size. Later when we were out shooting marmots he used the scope to range one at around 550 yards and made a one shot kill. He's been out rock shooting with it and is quite satisfied.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#5 Post by AJMD429 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 pm

No rangefinder, but I've liked the 'ranging reticles' offered by Redfield, Burris, and others.
PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

crs
Advanced Levergunner

#6 Post by crs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

+1 on range finder reticles as on Redfield scopes. Simple and fast - if not OK, probably should stalk closer.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

#7 Post by hfcable » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

the burris eliminator works really well— first round hits way out there are quite achievable

i have one on a 308 DPMS AR type rifle but i am looking for a suitable scope base for my 308 Finnwolf lever gun and am going to switch it to it and try it for caribou next fall
cable